As a home chef, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as serving up a dish that leaves guests raving and coming back for seconds. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking to add some variety to your weekly meal plan, this Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan Recipe is sure to have everyone asking for the recipe.
With its rich, creamy texture and blend of flavorful ingredients like sharp cheddar cheese and fresh broccoli florets, this dish is a winner both in terms of taste and presentation. And best of all, it’s incredibly easy to make – perfect for busy weeknights when you want something satisfying but don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen.
Plus, with ingredients like boneless skinless chicken breasts and low-carb options available, this dish can easily be customized to fit any dietary needs. So whether you’re cooking for picky eaters or health-conscious guests, this recipe is sure to impress.
So let’s fire up those ovens and get ready to make one of the best divan casserole dishes around – my Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan Recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of cheesy goodness and comfort food, this Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan Recipe is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. This dish is packed with rich, creamy flavors that leave your taste buds wanting more with every bite.
This divan casserole features tender chicken breast mixed with fresh broccoli florets and rigatoni pasta for added texture. The creamy cheese sauce is made using sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, milk, and all-purpose flour; It’s all brought together by the smooth pioneer woman butter and sautéed garlic cloves. Together, these ingredients form a heavenly combination that’ll make your mouth water.
Whether you’re craving something hearty for dinner or looking for an easy-to-make crowd-pleaser for a weekend gathering, the Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan has you covered. You can easily customize this recipe to suit your taste preferences by adding spices such as curry powder or mushroom soup for a flavorful twist.
In addition to its delicious taste, the recipe offers plenty of health benefits since it uses boneless skinless chicken breasts and fresh broccoli providing important nutrients while keeping the carbs low.
All in all, this recipe is a must-try if you want to treat yourself or impress your friends and family with a dish that’s both indulgent and wholesome. So go ahead and give it a try, we’re sure you’ll love it just as much as we do!
Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make this delicious chicken divan recipe:
- 1 lb of rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 4 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 can (10.5 oz) of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make sure to gather all the ingredients before starting the recipe to ensure a smooth and satisfactory process. You’ll find them at any grocery store!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get into making this delicious chicken divan recipe. Don’t worry, it’s easy and will impress your guests!
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup of butter
- ¼ of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets, blanched
- Rigatoni pasta
Preheat oven to 350°F
Cook the Chicken
- Firstly, cut chicken breasts into small pieces and season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Next, in a skillet over medium-high heat add olive oil and let it warm up.
- Then, cook seasoned chicken breasts for about 6 to 7 minutes until it starts to brown.
Tip: If you want to save time or money, grab a rotisserie chicken from the store and shred it.
Make the Sauce
- Firstly, in a saucepan melt butter over medium heat and gradually add the flour until well blended.
- Then, stir in milk and cook until mixture boils and thickens (roughly around 2 to 3 minutes).
- Next, add the cheddar cheese and continue stirring until it’s melted.
- Add the condensed cream of chicken soup and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Lastly, add sour cream and blend.
Tip: You can substitute the shredded cheddar cheese with parmesan cheese for a different flavor.
Prepare the Vegetables & Pasta
- Firstly, in a pot bring salted water to boil and cook rigatoni pasta for 7 minutes or until al dente.
- Also, blanch fresh broccoli florets by boiling them for 2 minutes only then rinse in cold water to stop from overcooking.
- Firstly, mix cooked pasta with broccoli florets evenly on baking dish.
- Then when your chicken is cooked pull it apart a little bit so that you have shredded pieces instead cubes add the chicken at top of the pasta-broccoli mixture in baking dish
- Pour sauce on top of everything evenly
Tip: Use low-carb rigatoni pasta for a healthier option.
- Put baking dish in preheated oven at 350 °F/180 °C for roughly 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are bubbly.
There you have it folks! The perfect rich creamy Chicken Divan casserole that everyone will love!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making a delicious dish, sometimes you have to get creative with the ingredients. Here are some substitutions and variations for the Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan recipe:
– Cheese: While we highly recommend using both sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese in this recipe, feel free to substitute with your favorite cheese. Some good options include gouda or gruyere for a more sophisticated flavor, or pepper jack for a spicy kick.
– Vegetables: If you’re not a fan of broccoli, try swapping it out with cauliflower, asparagus, or spinach. You can also add other vegetables to the mix, such as mushrooms or red bell peppers.
– Protein: Instead of chicken breast, use boneless pork chops or tofu for a vegetarian option. You can even mix and match proteins by adding cooked shrimp or canned tuna.
– Pasta: Rigatoni works perfectly in this recipe, but you could also use other short-cut pastas like penne or fusilli. For a low-carb version, try using zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
– Soup: If you don’t have cream of chicken soup on hand, substitute it with cream of mushroom soup, or try using curry powder and coconut milk for a curry chicken twist.
By experimenting with different ingredients and flavors, you can create your own unique version of the classic Chicken Divan recipe. Remember that cooking is an adventure – have fun and bon appétit!
Serving and Pairing
I can almost taste the creamy goodness of this chicken divan recipe just by looking at it! This dish is one of my favorites to prepare for dinner parties, as it’s easy to make ahead and then quickly reheat when guests start to arrive.
When it comes to pairing this dish, I recommend serving it with a simple side salad to balance out the rich flavors of the chicken and cheese. A crisp Caesar salad or mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette would make an excellent choice.
If you’re looking for something heartier, try serving the chicken divan over a bed of fluffy white rice or with a side of buttery garlic bread. And if you’re feeling particularly fancy, why not break open a bottle of your favorite red wine? A bold Cabernet Sauvignon or rich Merlot would be the perfect complement to this decadent meal.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair this delicious chicken divan recipe, your taste buds are in for a treat!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a busy cook and party host, I understand the importance of make-ahead dishes that can save you time and effort. Thankfully, this Chicken Divan recipe is one of those versatile dishes that you can easily prepare ahead of time.
To make this recipe ahead of time, I would suggest cooking the pasta and chicken separately, and then refrigerating them in an airtight container. You can also pre-chop the broccoli florets, garlic, and onion and keep them in a resealable bag in the fridge.
When you’re ready to assemble the dish, simply follow the recipe instructions as normal – just be sure to give yourself at least 10-15 minutes extra cook time, as your ingredients will be cold from the fridge.
Storing this chicken divan casserole is also a breeze! If you have leftovers after your event or party, place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to three days. This dish also freezes well – just be sure to let it cool completely before placing it in an airtight container or freezer safe plastic bag. It can stay frozen for up to three months.
To reheat this dish, simply place it in the oven at 350°F for about 20-25 minutes if it was chilled or 40-45 minutes if frozen or until heated through. Alternatively, you can microwave individual portions on high for 1-2 minutes (depending on serving size). Be sure to add a tablespoon of water to prevent it from drying out during reheating.
Remember that reheating cooked chicken multiple times might cause foodborne illnesses if not done correctly. Discard any leftover casserole that has been stored at room temperature for more than two hours.
Overall, prepping and storing this dish is easy! With these tips in your back pocket, you can make any occasion stress-free with this delicious pasta & cheddar chicken divan recipe by Pioneer Woman.
Tips for Perfect Results
When it comes to creating the perfect Chicken Divan, there are a few tips that can help elevate the dish from average to exceptional. Here are some pointers to keep in mind as you prepare this delicious recipe:
1. Use fresh broccoli: As with any dish that features vegetables, using fresh produce is key for optimal flavor and nutrition. When selecting your broccoli, look for firm stalks and tight clusters of florets.
2. Cook your pasta al dente: Cooking your pasta al dente (to the tooth) ensures that it will have the ideal texture and won’t become mushy or overcooked when you bake the casserole.
3. Season generously: Chicken Divan is a rich and creamy dish, so it’s important to season each component generously to balance out the flavors. Don’t be afraid to add extra garlic, onion, or salt if needed.
4. Use quality cheese: Both Parmesan and sharp cheddar cheese play an important role in this recipe, so it’s worth investing in good quality cheese. I recommend using freshly grated Parmesan cheese and shredding your own cheddar cheese for optimal melting.
5. Let it rest before serving: It can be tempting to dig into your Chicken Divan right out of the oven, but allowing it to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving helps the flavors meld together and makes for a smoother texture.
Follow these tips for perfect results every time you make this delicious Chicken Divan recipe!
Before diving into making this delicious Chicken Divan recipe, let’s address some frequently asked questions to ensure the best results possible. From ingredient substitutions to storing and reheating options, these FAQs will help you overcome any potential roadblocks to cooking success.
What does Divan mean in Chicken Divan?
The signature dish at the Divan Parisien Restaurant in early twentieth century New York City was named after its place of origin. Chef Lagasi was the mastermind behind this delicious creation. The term divan in French means a great hall or gathering place.
What is Chicken Divan made of?
When it comes to comforting casseroles, Chicken Divan is a classic choice. Its velvety texture and subtle flavors make it a crowd-pleaser dish. To prepare this dish, you can use leftover cooked chicken or opt for uncooked chicken breasts or thighs. Along with chicken, the recipe calls for broccoli, sour cream or mayo, cream of chicken soup, milk, and basic seasonings.
In conclusion, whether you’re looking for a hearty meal to serve at your next party or simply craving comfort food on a cozy night in, this pasta and cheddar chicken divan recipe is the dish for you. It’s rich and creamy, packed with protein and vegetables, and can be easily modified to fit your dietary needs or taste preferences.
So, gather your ingredients and get cooking! With a little bit of patience and effort, you’ll be rewarded with a deliciously satisfying meal that’s sure to impress your guests or family members. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different variations, either – who knows what kind of delicious combinations you might come up with?
In the end, what matters most is the joy of cooking and sharing a meal with loved ones. That’s why I’ve shared this recipe with you – to inspire you to get creative in the kitchen and bond over a delicious plate of pasta and cheddar chicken divan. Happy cooking!
Pasta & Cheddar Chicken Divan Recipe
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic cloves, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless cut in 1/2-inch chunks (I used 2 C cooked chicken)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 minutes of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook until no longer pink. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly; DO NOT BROWN.
- Add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture boils. Reduce heat to low; add 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts.
- Toss hot pasta and broccoli with sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!