“What’s for dinner tonight?” The age-old question that haunts us every evening. But don’t worry, because I have the answer for you – a classic scalloped chicken recipe that will make your taste buds dance with delight!
This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or a cozy family dinner on the weekend. It’s easy to make and promises to please everyone around the table. With its creamy sauce, tender chicken pieces, and crispy bread crumb topping, this scalloped chicken dish is sure to become a family favorite.
The best part about this recipe is the versatility it offers. You can substitute or add your favorite ingredients to make it your own. Whether you want to add some mushrooms or roasted vegetables, this scalloped chicken recipe is an excellent base to experiment with.
So let’s get started and create something utterly mouth-watering with ingredients commonly found in your pantry. In no time, you’ll be able to whip up a warm, comforting meal that will have everyone asking for seconds. Get ready to fall in love with this classic scalloped chicken recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
I can’t wait to tell you about this scrumptious recipe. If you’re a fan of classic scalloped dishes, then you’re in for a real treat. My scalloped chicken recipe is the perfect blend of savory flavors that will have your taste buds dancing.
Why do I love this recipe so much? Well, for one thing, it’s incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients like boneless, skinless chicken breasts, flour, butter, and chicken broth, you can whip up a delicious casserole that’s perfect for any occasion.
But it’s not just the ingredients that make this recipe so special. The secret is in the seasoning. Poultry seasoning blends perfectly with the onions and unsalted butter to create an absolutely mouth-watering flavor profile. And don’t forget about the bread cubes and chicken noodles! They absorb all of that rich flavor and become tender little bites of perfection.
Plus, if you’re cooking for a crowd, this recipe is super versatile. You can easily double or triple the ingredients to feed all of your hungry guests without breaking the bank. And speaking of saving money, this dish is also budget-friendly! So whether you’re cooking for a family gathering or a potluck with friends from work, your wallet (and your taste buds) will thank you.
So there you have it – my reasons why I love this scalloped chicken recipe so much! Of course, everyone’s tastes are different but I think once you try a bite of this classic dish, you’ll understand why it’s such a crowd-pleaser.
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need for this scalloped chicken recipe:
Chicken and Seasonings:
- 4 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups cubed bread or stuffing mix
- Vegetables of your choice such as celery, onions or mushrooms.
Make sure to have these components ready before cooking to make the recipe process much more efficient.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get started on the classic scalloped chicken recipe. Follow these steps for a homemade chicken casserole that is sure to impress your guests.
- 4 cups of boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 4 cups of bread cubes
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Season your cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the 1/4 cup of butter.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are translucent.
- Add in the seasoned chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Slowly stir in your chicken broth and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the poultry seasoning and simmer for five minutes.
Assemble the Casserole:
- Grease a casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Place half of your bread cubes on the bottom of the dish.
- Pour in half of the chicken mixture on top.
- Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes and chicken mixture.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter and pour it over the top layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top.
Follow this recipe step by step and you’ll end up with super easy scalloped chicken casserole. This dish is delicious as it is, but you can also add some other ingredients like mushrooms, potatoes or cheese according to your preferences
Substitutions and Variations
Sometimes, you may not have all the ingredients for a recipe, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make it. Here are some substitutions and variations for the Scalloped Chicken Recipe:
– Instead of chicken breasts, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or even leftover roasted chicken breast. The flavor and texture will vary slightly, but it will still be delicious.
– For a vegetarian version, skip the chicken and substitute vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. You can also add vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli or carrots to this dish to make it heartier.
– If you’re looking for a gluten-free option, swap out the flour for a gluten-free alternative like cornstarch or gluten-free flour. You can also use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead of bread cubes.
– Don’t have poultry seasoning? Use Italian seasoning instead or mix together some dried herbs like thyme, sage and rosemary to create your own.
There are lots of variety options available that you can try with this recipe. Just remember that any changes you make may affect the flavor and texture, so experiment to find what works best for you.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving scalloped chicken, the possibilities are endless. This classic comfort food pairs well with many sides and salads, making it a fan favorite at family dinners and parties.
One of my personal favorite ways to serve this dish is with a side of steamed asparagus or fresh green beans. The crispness of the greens contrasts beautifully with the creaminess of the scalloped chicken, creating a textural sensation with every bite.
If you’re looking to add more carbs to your meal, consider pairing this dish with a hearty serving of garlic roasted potatoes or creamy mashed potatoes. For those who prefer lighter grains, opt for brown rice pilaf, quinoa or roasted sweet potato fries.
Those who appreciate some acidity or tanginess in their dishes can serve the scalloped chicken with a side salad composed of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers soaked in balsamic vinaigrette.
If you’re hosting a brunch or lunch, toast slices of sourdough bread and drizzle them with olive oil for an added crunch. I also recommend serving fruit salad along with it to take away some of the heaviness.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this classic scalloped chicken recipe is sure to please any crowd.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a home chef who loves throwing parties, I know how important it is to plan ahead for food preparation. Luckily, this scalloped chicken recipe makes meal prepping a breeze!
If you’re making this recipe for a future event or just want to have leftovers for later, it can easily be made ahead of time. Simply assemble the scalloped chicken casserole according to the recipe instructions and refrigerate until ready to bake. When you’re ready to cook the dish, simply pop it in the oven and bake until golden brown on top.
Once you’ve cooked and served your delicious scalloped chicken, you may find yourself with some leftovers. To store these properly, let the casserole cool completely before covering with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and placing it in the refrigerator. It’ll keep for around 3-4 days in the fridge.
When it’s time to reheat your leftover scalloped chicken, you have several options. You can either heat it up in the oven by covering it with foil and baking at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until heated through (which will take around 20 minutes), or in the microwave by placing individual portions on a microwave-safe plate and nuking for 1-2 minutes.
One thing to keep in mind is that this dish may not freeze well due to the creaminess of the sauce. If you do decide to freeze it, make sure to thaw it completely before reheating.
Overall, with a little bit of planning and preparation, this scalloped chicken recipe can be made ahead of time, stored properly, and reheated for a delicious meal any day of the week!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and the recipe in hand, let’s talk about some tips for perfect results with your scalloped chicken. These tips will be useful especially if you’re new to making this classic dish.
Firstly, it’s essential to read the recipe thoroughly before starting. Remember, precision is key here, so measure all the ingredients accurately, and follow the instructions step by step.
Next, while preparing the chicken for the recipe, make sure to pat it dry with a paper towel. This will help in preventing excess moisture in your dish and ensure that the chicken is cooked evenly.
For an added depth of flavor, consider marinating your chicken overnight in some poultry seasoning or garlic and herbs. This will make your chicken more flavorful and juicy.
When it comes to assembling the scalloped chicken casserole, be sure to layer the bread cubes or potatoes evenly on the bottom of the casserole dish before adding other ingredients. Doing so will help absorb any excess moisture that may come out of the vegetables or chicken during cooking.
Another thing to remember is to ensure adequate liquid between layers of bread cubes or potatoes. Adding too much or too little liquid can affect the consistency of your dish, making it too dry or overly soupy.
If you’re feeling adventurous and want to switch things up a bit, try experimenting with different types of cheese or adding vegetables like mushrooms, broccoli or green beans for added nutrition and flavor.
Lastly, one of my favorite tips is letting scalloped chicken rest out of the oven for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. This allows flavors to meld together, making for a tastier meal that everyone will love.
By following these tips and tricks, your scalloped chicken recipe will turn out perfectly every time!
In conclusion, this Scalloped Chicken Recipe is a classic and delicious dish that will impress any dinner guest. The combination of tender chicken pieces, bread cubes, and creamy sauce makes for a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for any occasion. With the tips and recommendations provided in this recipe article, you can easily make a scrumptious Scalloped Chicken casserole at home.
So go ahead and try out this easy recipe; I guarantee it will leave you craving more! Plus, with the various substitutions and variations suggested, you can experiment with different flavors and ingredients to make it your own. Don’t be afraid to get creative in the kitchen – after all, cooking is all about having fun and trying new things.
In summary, whether you’re hosting a big dinner party or simply looking for a wholesome dinner option for your family, the Scalloped Chicken Recipe is a winner. So what are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and start cooking up some scrumptious scalloped chicken delish today!
Scalloped Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced (or turkey)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock, heated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Make gravy first for it needs to cool a bit.
- In saucepan over medium heat melt the 4 tbsp of butter.
- Blend in flour and hot chicken stock.
- Stirring until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper Remove about half the gravy from saucepan and stir in with the beaten eggs.
- Return the eggs and gravy mixture to saucepan and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Set gravy aside to cool.
- In pan melt the 2 tbsp of unsalted butter and toss in the bread crumbs.
- Cook on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in onion, poultry seasoning, and salt.
- In 8"X8" greased casserole dish add a layer of crumb mixture, then chicken, then gravy.
- Repeat again but ending with last layer of crumbs.
- Bake in preheated 350 over about 30 minutes.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!