Are you looking for a recipe that will leave your party guests begging for more? Look no further – I’ve got the crispy, juicy, addicting chicken sliders recipe that will have everyone’s taste buds singing.
There’s something irresistible about the flavor and crunch of fried chicken. And when it comes to sliders, they are the perfect appetizer for a crowd. So why not combine these two classics into one amazing dish?
This recipe is packed with a winning combination of spices like garlic powder, onion powder, and white pepper. And it doesn’t stop there! The secret is in the coating: crunchy panko breadcrumbs mixed with a blend of seasonings to give you an extra crispy texture.
Not only is this dish incredibly satisfying and delicious, but it’s also easy to make. Plus, it lets you mix and match flavors so you can create the perfect slider that fits everyone’s taste.
So why settle for bland chicken when you can serve up some legendary crispy chicken sliders? Let’s get started on this mouthwatering recipe that I’m sure will become a staple at all your future parties!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you ready to take your fried chicken game to the next level? Look no further than these crispy chicken sliders! I can guarantee that these will quickly become a new favorite at your next party or gathering.
First and foremost, these sliders are made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, ensuring that every bite is juicy and tender. But what sets them apart is the extra crispy coating from a combination of Panko breadcrumbs and flavorful seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, and white pepper. Plus, the addition of baking soda and baking powder makes the chicken even crispier and more addictive.
But don’t just stop at flavor! These sliders are incredibly versatile – swap out the provolone cheese for something spicier, like pepper jack or add some spicy mayo for an extra kick. Even better? You only need a few ingredients to make this mouthwatering dish that will satisfy any fried chicken craving.
So whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or just looking for a fun weeknight meal, these crispy chicken sliders will not disappoint. Trust me, your guests will be begging for the recipe – it’s that good!
Below is a list of ingredients you need to have before getting started with this recipe. Don’t hesitate to procure all of them before starting to cook so that you don’t have any last-minute grocery store trips.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 lb.)
- Slider buns (12 pieces)
- Provolone cheese (6 slices)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Shortening, as necessary
Feel free to add extra spices or seasonings to the batter, such as paprika for a smokier flavor, or cayenne pepper for a spicier kick. You can also try substituting the provolone cheese with your favorite type of cheese or adding toppings like pickles, onions, or lettuce.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time for the main event: the recipe on how to create CRISPY CHICKEN SLIDERS that will surely impress your guests.
For the Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs (1 ½ pounds), cut in half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
For Assembling The Sliders:
- 12 slider buns, sliced
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Spicy mayo or honey mustard, for topping
- Pickles, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt, and white pepper.
- Add buttermilk, egg and hot sauce and whisk until well combined.
- In another medium bowl, mix all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda and baking powder.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined (it’s okay if there are some small lumps).
- Dip each piece of chicken into flour mixture, coating both sides evenly and shaking off any excess flour mixture.
- Next dip chicken into buttermilk mixture and allow excess to drip off.
- Finally coat chicken with Panko breadcrumbs.
- Place coated chicken on a sheet pan with parchment paper and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) while resting the chicken.
- In a large frying pan, heat shortening over medium-high heat until oil reaches 350°F (175°C).
- Fry each piece of coated chicken until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C) (around 6 minutes per side).
- Once each piece is fried to a desirable level of crispiness take out from frying pan (do not put them on paper towel as it gets soggy) and let it cool for a few minutes before assembling them on buns with provolone cheese and bagged lettuce as toppings.
- Serve sliders with pickles and a dip of spicy mayo or honey mustard.
Pro tip: If you want extra crispy bites, add ⅓ cup of cornstarch in the Panko breadcrumbs mixture.
Substitutions and Variations
It’s always fun to modify a recipe and adapt it to your liking. The crispy chicken sliders recipe is no exception. There are endless possibilities for substitutions and variations that can make this dish unique and your own. Here are some ideas to consider:
– Cheese: While I used provolone cheese in the recipe, you can use any type of cheese that melts well, such as cheddar, mozzarella or pepper jack.
– Breading: Instead of panko breadcrumbs, you can use regular breadcrumbs or crushed crackers. If you want a gluten-free option, try using almond flour or cornmeal.
– Chicken: Instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts, you can use chicken tenders or chicken thighs. Chicken thighs are especially delicious since they have more flavor and tend to be juicier than breast meat.
– Spice level: If you like spicy food, add a kick to your sliders by adding cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the buttermilk mixture. You can also top the chicken with spicy mayo or serve it with jalapeños.
– Sauce: The honey mustard sauce in the recipe is delicious, but you can experiment with other sauces such as BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, or buffalo sauce.
– Bun: Swap out the slider buns for regular bread slices, Hawaiian rolls, or pretzel buns for a different taste and texture.
– Vegetarian option: To make this recipe vegetarian-friendly, replace the chicken with tofu or portobello mushrooms.
Remember, these are just some suggestions – feel free to get creative and customize the recipe based on your preferences!
Serving and Pairing
Get ready to impress your guests with these crispy chicken sliders that everyone will love! These delicious sliders are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a backyard BBQ, game day party or a family gathering.
For the perfect pairing, serve these sandwiches with a side of crispy french fries and a cold beer. The combination of savory chicken and crispy fries will leave your taste buds wanting more. If you want to add a little bit of heat, pair it with some spicy mayo or hot sauce on the side.
If you’re looking for something sweet to balance out the savory flavors, consider serving these sliders with sweet potato fries and coleslaw. The sweetness of the fries and crunch of the slaw will complement the crispy texture of the chicken perfectly.
These addictive chicken sliders make for a great main dish, but they can also be served as an appetizer for your next party. Cut them into quarters and serve them on a platter for your guests to enjoy. They are bite-sized pieces of heaven that your guests won’t be able to resist!
So whether you’re having a casual get-together or an elaborate party, these crispy chicken sliders are sure to be a hit. They’re easy to serve and delicious to eat, making them the perfect addition to any menu.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to hosting a party, time management is everything. Luckily, with these chicken sliders, you can prepare them ahead of time without sacrificing their crispiness. After frying the chicken, let them cool down slightly and cut them in half to fit perfectly into your slider bun. Then, place the chicken pieces on a sheet pan and store them in the fridge for up to a day before reheating.
When you’re ready to serve, preheat your oven to 375°F and place the sheet pan with the chicken in it. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165°F. This method will retain their crunchiness while heating them up evenly.
If you decide to freeze the chicken sliders, make sure you store them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to three months. When reheating frozen sliders, preheat your oven to 375°F and bake them for about 20-25 minutes or until they’ve reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
To add extra flavor to your sliders when reheating, brush a little bit of honey mustard or spicy mayo on each piece of chicken before putting them in the oven. Trust me; it’s worth it!
Remember that once cooked, fried food tends to lose its crispiness over time, so don’t expect leftovers to be as crunchy as freshly made ones. However, if you want to make sure they stay crispy for as long as possible, let them cool down on a wire rack before storing or wrapping them in foil.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to enjoy these addictive chicken sliders not only fresh off the stove but also at your convenience!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your crispy chicken sliders come out perfectly, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind. Here are some essential pointers to bear in mind when making this recipe:
1. Double the coating: As you dip each piece of chicken in the buttermilk mixture and coat it with the seasoned flour mixture, give it another dip in the buttermilk and roll it in the breadcrumbs one more time. This will create an extra-crispy coating that’s guaranteed to impress.
2. Use a wire rack: Once the chicken is coated, place it on a wire rack instead of on paper towels. This allows air to circulate around the chicken, which keeps it crisp and prevents it from getting soggy.
3. Heat your oil properly: When frying the chicken, make sure your oil is hot enough (about 350°F) before adding your chicken sliders – this will help them cook evenly and turn golden brown. You can use a thermometer to test the temperature of the oil.
4. Don’t overcrowd the pan: Adding too many pieces of chicken at once can cause the oil temperature to drop, making your chicken soggy instead of crispy. Cook just a few pieces at a time, giving each piece plenty of space, for best results.
5. Avoid flipping or moving the chicken constantly: One of the secrets to deliciously crispy fried chicken is to let it sit and cook undisturbed as much as possible. Avoid flipping or moving the chicken sliders too frequently while they’re cooking so that their crusts can form properly.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create irresistibly crunchy, addicting chicken sliders that are sure to be a hit at any party or gathering!
Before we wrap up, let’s briefly talk about some of the most frequently asked questions regarding this recipe. Here are some helpful tips to ensure you get the best results out of your crispy chicken sliders every time you make them.
What is the secret to crispy chicken?
When it comes to making delicious fried chicken, using specific ingredients and techniques can make all the difference in achieving a crispy and flavorful result. For instance, incorporating egg white into the batter can aid in adding structure and making the flour coating stick to the chicken like a reliable adhesive. Meanwhile, adding alcohol to the frying oil can help it evaporate quickly, resulting in a less greasy finish. Additionally, integrating cornstarch into the flour mixture can step up your crust game by contributing to a satisfyingly crunchy texture.
What is the crispy chicken sandwich made of?
You won’t want to miss out on the delightful flavors of our sandwich featuring a crispy and juicy chicken fillet made with white meat, topped with crinkle-cut pickles, and served on a buttered potato roll. And for those who love a bit of spice, the Spicy version won’t disappoint. Visit participating McDonald’s to indulge in this savory treat.
Does baking powder make fried chicken crispy?
Baking powder is not only used for making fried chicken crispy, but it also works wonders in giving regular chicken a crispy skin. Take our Oven-Fried Chicken Wings, for instance, they are baked and not fried, yet they have a delightfully crunchy texture.
Does baking soda make fried chicken crispy?
One of my favorite culinary techniques for cooking crispy chicken is to add baking soda to the breading mixture for some extra crinkles. To successfully incorporate the baking soda into the dry ingredients, I recommend using a wire whisk and thoroughly stirring the mixture until well incorporated. It’s crucial to make sure the baking soda is evenly distributed throughout the mixture to achieve the desired texture. Give the mixture a few extra stirs to ensure everything is properly combined.
In conclusion, the Crispy Chicken Sliders recipe is a game-changer for your next party. You’ll love how easy it is to whip up this addicting chicken dish that everyone will enjoy. The combination of crispy fried chicken and melty provolone cheese in the slider buns is simply irresistible. And with the added bonus of being able to substitute chicken thighs or tenders, there’s nothing stopping you from making these sliders just the way you like them.
Not only that, but these sliders are incredibly versatile, perfect for pairing with different sauces and sides for your own unique flavor combination. And with our make-ahead and storing tips, you can easily prepare ahead of time and have them on hand for your next event.
With all these amazing features combined, it’s no wonder that this recipe is becoming increasingly popular amongst home chefs and renowned cooks, such as Ina Garten and Shake Shack. So why not give it a try and see what all the hype is about? Trust me, once you try these Crispy Chicken Sliders, you won’t regret it!
CRISPY CHICKEN SLIDERS Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup shortening (such as crisco or oil of your choice)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3 slices provolone cheese (cut into quarters)
- 8 dinner rolls (or slider rolls)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt (I use and prefer Paul Prudhomme Poultry Magic)
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce
- Pour the panko bread crumbs in a shallow dish and add the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and white pepper. Using fork mix very well. Crack both eggs into another shallow dish and add Crystal sauce and whisk well. Set off to the side. Butterfly each breast then cut each half in half again.
- With each piece, place in egg and turn over 3 times to coat extremely well with the egg mixture. Then place in panko bread crumbs turn over a couple times pressing panko into chicken. Sit on a cookie rack and cover. Place in the refrigerator 5 minutes. Melt shortening (or add oil of your choice) over high heat. Heat until extremely hot or until when you drop a piece of panko in the oil and it bubbles. You will need to cook the chicken in 2 batches to keep the oil at a steady temperature. Add the first batch then turn to medium heat and cover. Check often to make sure they don't burn but don't turn for 6-7 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 5 minutes. Place a quarter of each piece of cheese on chicken. Place the bottom half of the dinner bun or slider bun bread side down (not crust side). Add top half of bun bread side down until of the bottom sides crust. Cover and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take off the top bun. Using a spatula pick up the chicken breast and the bottom half of the bun in one motion. Place bun side down on plate. Add toppings of your choice (we prefer mayo, lettuce and tomato) and replace the top bun and serve. We like to add a simple side dish of tater tots or french fries made in the oven.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!