As I was perusing my recipe collection, I came across a dish that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser: Chicken Piccata. It’s an Italian-American classic that bursts with flavor in every bite. This dish is a perfect combination of tender, pan-seared chicken and tangy lemon butter sauce with capers.
I’m confident that your guests will be impressed with how simple yet delicious this recipe is – it’s the kind of dish you’d expect to find at a fancy Italian restaurant, yet you can easily make it at home! To make things even better, this recipe requires only a few basic ingredients and it’s budget-friendly too.
The best part of this recipe? It’s perfect for any occasion – from a quiet dinner date to a bustling dinner party. With just a bit of preparation, you can whip up an easy and elegant Chicken Piccata that your guests will remember for years to come. Trust me; it’s worth it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re in search of a dish that is both delicious and easy to make, look no further than this Chicken Piccata recipe. This Italian-American classic is a crowd pleaser that can be served for any occasion – from a romantic dinner for two to a family gathering or party.
What sets this recipe apart is its tangy piccata sauce that’s made with lemon butter and capers. The combination creates a flavor explosion that perfectly complements the tender, pan-seared chicken. The dish is finished with fresh parsley leaves for the perfect finishing touch.
This recipe also uses boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, which cuts down on prep time and makes it an easy option for busy weeknights. And don’t worry if you don’t have all the ingredients listed – substitutions can be made to accommodate dietary restrictions or personal preferences.
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or new to the kitchen, this Chicken Piccata recipe is sure to impress. So grab your apron and get ready to create a classic dish that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
The ingredient list consists of simple yet flavorful ingredients that make this chicken piccata recipe the star of any dinner party. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to create this classic Italian-American dish:
- Chicken cutlets: Thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken scallopini is perfect for this recipe.
- Flour: Use all-purpose flour to dredge the chicken before searing.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper: To season the chicken as well as throughout the cooking process.
- Olive oil: Use a high-quality olive oil for pan-searing the chicken.
- Unsalted butter: For creating a flavorful lemon butter caper sauce.
- Shallot: Adds depth of flavor to the dish
- Garlic: Minced or chopped; adding a slight sharpness and umami flavor balance in the sauce.
- White wine and chicken broth: Adding extra layers of flavor while deglazing the pan.
- Lemons: Both zest and juice – this dish is all about its bright, tart citrus and aroma.
- Capers: These small briny buds add a slight tanginess to the dish without being overpowering.
- Fresh parsley leaves: For garnish, adding both aesthetic appeal and enhancing flavors.
Note: If you have certain dietary restrictions, you can try making this recipe vegan by switching out meat for tofu or a plant-based option, use gluten-free flour for dredging your protein, or explore baking instead of pan-searing your chicken.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve got all the ingredients together, it’s time to make this delicious chicken piccata dish! Don’t worry, this recipe is simple and easy to follow. Here’s how to do it:
Step 1: Prepping the Chicken
Start by preparing your skinless boneless chicken breasts into thin slices. To do this, lay them on a cutting board and slice horizontally across the top of each breast. Then, pound the chicken evenly to about ¼ inch thickness.
Once you’re done prepping the chicken, season them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Step 2: Flour Dredging
In a shallow bowl, combine ½ cup of all-purpose flour with more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour mixture and shake off any excess.
Step 3: Pan Frying
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot enough, add the dredged chicken pieces into the skillet and cook them for about 3-4 minutes on one side.
Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are fully cooked.
Step 4: Making the Piccata Sauce
Remove the chicken from the pan once fully cooked and reduce the heat to medium. Add 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter into your skillet and once melted, add 1 tablespoon of chopped shallot too. Sauté until fragrant.
Then add 2 tablespoons of small capers, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, 1/2 cup of white wine, and juice from two lemons.
Stir everything until well-combined while making sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of your skillet. Let this mixture boil for about 5-6 minutes or until it’s reduced by half.
Next, stir in another tablespoon of unsalted butter and let it melt completely before seasoning with more kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper if needed.
Step 5: Putting It All Together
Add the cooked chicken back into your skillet with your sauce for a few minutes so that they can absorb some of its flavors. Sprinkle some chopped fresh parsley leaves on top for garnish.
And there you have it—the perfect recipe for delicious, flavorful chicken piccata!
Substitutions and Variations
One of the best things about Chicken Piccata is its versatility. With a few ingredient substitutions and variations, you can create new flavours and make the recipe your own. Here are some ideas to try out:
– Vegetarian or Vegan: Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian, or simply looking to reduce your meat consumption, you can easily swap chicken for tofu or seitan in this recipe. Instead of using chicken stock, vegetable stock or even better, mushroom stock will create a similar umami flavour in the dish.
– Gluten-Free: Ditch the wheat flour and opt for gluten-free all-purpose flour instead. You could also try using cornstarch or arrowroot powder as a thickener for the Piccata sauce.
– Lemon Butter Caper Sauce: For a twist on classic Italian-American dish, substitute white wine with a dry vermouth to bring some complementary bitterness and acidity to the dish.
– Chicken Scallopini: This dish is a similar version of Chicken Piccata which does not use capers but tenderizes meat pounded thinly so that cooks easily in the pan.
– Veal Piccata: Many restaurants offer veal piccata along with chicken piccata. Veal provides a richer flavor but always be mindful of sustainability issues that affect farming practices–remember culinary choices affect more than just your taste buds.
– Slow-Cooker: Want to put your slow cooker to work? Try cooking your seasoned chicken breasts in water/broth first then transferring them (along with the liquid) into the slow cooker with lemon juice, garlic cloves, and herbs/seasoning of your choice. Let it cook on low for 6-7 hours until well done to enjoy one tasty treat when you get home.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with these variations and substitutions of the classic Italian-American dish–the possibilities are endless!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve prepared this mouthwatering chicken piccata recipe, the next step is deciding how to serve it. While this classic Italian-American dish can be served with various sides, pasta is one of the best options as it soaks up the delicious piccata sauce. The lemon butter caper sauce adds a pop of flavor that complements the chicken’s crispy texture. You can also pair it with a side salad, garlic bread or roasted vegetables for a balanced meal.
To elevate this dish to another level, feel free to experiment with different types of pasta like linguine or fettuccine. Or swap out traditional pasta for gluten-free or vegetable noodles to make it even healthier. For those who love rice dishes, serving your chicken piccata over a bed of steamed rice will bring out the flavors in the dish and add some texture.
This easy-to-make chicken recipe is perfect for a relaxing night at home with your family or friends. It’s also an ideal option for any dinner party or gathering, where you can impress your guests with a classic Italian-American entree.
For those who enjoy pairing their wines with their meals, light-bodied white wines such as Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay pair perfectly with chicken piccata due to their subtle acidic taste that brings out the zesty lemon flavor in the dish. If you prefer red wine, Beaujolais or Pinot Noir can add depth to your meal without overpowering it.
Overall, chicken piccata is one of those dishes that everyone loves – flavorful and classic. With its simple preparation and versatility, it’s perfect for intimate dinners at home or formal occasions. Add your own twist by pairing it with your favorite sides to create a perfect meal that satisfies every taste bud.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Chicken Piccata is a great dish to prepare ahead of time, making it the perfect dish for busy weeknights or hosting dinner parties. The good news is that it stores well and reheats beautifully. Simply follow these steps to make the most out of your leftovers.
To make-ahead, you can prepare the chicken and sauce up to one day ahead of time. Once cooked, let it cool completely, then transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
When reheating, be sure to place the chicken in a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a damp paper towel. This will help prevent the chicken from drying out as it heats up. Alternatively, you can reheat the chicken and sauce on the stovetop by gently warming it in a non-stick skillet over low heat.
If you want to freeze your Chicken Piccata, make sure it has cooled down completely before storing it in an airtight container or freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to three months. To thaw, simply leave it in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter for a few hours before reheating as instructed above.
For optimal flavor, don’t forget to sprinkle some fresh parsley leaves over your reheated chicken just before serving. This will add brightness and freshness to this classic Italian-American dish!
Now that you know how simple storing and reheating can be, there’s no need to worry about leftovers going to waste. You’ll be able to enjoy delicious Chicken Piccata anytime!
Tips for Perfect Results
Preparing the perfect chicken piccata requires attention to detail to make sure that every element of the dish comes out flawlessly. Here are some tips that any aspiring chef can use to achieve restaurant-worthy results at home.
Firstly, when cooking the chicken cutlets, make sure that they are evenly cooked by using a meat thermometer. Overcooked chicken will become tough and dry, while undercooked chicken can cause health problems.
Overcrowding the pan is another common issue that can sabotage your efforts. It’s best to cook the chicken cutlets in batches so that each one has enough room to be seared to perfection. In addition, multi-tasking and flipping the chicken too often can prevent it from getting a crispy exterior, so don’t disturb it until you’re ready to turn it over.
Another essential tip is to reserve some of the pasta water when cooking your pasta. This starchy water is an excellent thickener and can help bring your sauce together.
To prevent the sauce from becoming too heavy or greasy, avoid adding too much butter or oil. Less fat means a tangy and refreshing sauce that complements rather than overwhelms the flavor of the chicken.
Finally, a finishing touch of chopped fresh parsley leaves will add an extra layer of flavor and freshness to your chicken piccata. Just sprinkle some over the plated dish before serving for a restaurant-quality garnish.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create a delicious and impressive chicken piccata that will delight your guests and leave them craving for more.
Before we wrap things up, here are some frequently asked questions about this Chicken Piccata recipe. Take a close look and find out all the reliable answers to ensure you’ll not experience any trouble while preparing this classic Italian-American dish.
What is chicken piccata sauce made of?
Chicken piccata is a dish consisting of pan-fried chicken topped with a tangy sauce made from a blend of butter, oil, zesty lemon juice, and flavorful capers. It’s a delightful combination of textures and flavors that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
What is traditionally served with chicken piccata?
When it comes to serving chicken piccata, rice or pasta is a great choice. This is especially true for those delicious lemon sauce leftovers that are simply too yummy to waste. And if you’re looking for the perfect pasta side dish, garlic butter pasta is an excellent option.
What is the difference between chicken piccata and chicken piccata?
When it comes to preparing chicken dishes, there are two popular variations: Francese and Piccata. The main difference lies in the process of coating the chicken. In Francese, the chicken is dipped in flour first, then in an egg mixture, before being cooked. On the other hand, Piccata requires the chicken to be dipped in egg before being coated in flour. Both variations are cooked in a tangy buttery sauce, but the Piccata sauce also includes capers.
What is the difference between chicken scallopini and chicken piccata?
Piccata sauce is a tangy blend of lemon, capers, broth, and butter that pairs perfectly with chicken. Meanwhile, scallopini is a technique used to prepare the chicken. Chicken scallopini can be served with the classic piccata sauce or can also be paired with different sauces.
It’s hard to resist the allure of a classic Italian-American dish like chicken piccata. With its lemony, buttery caper sauce and crispy pan-seared chicken, it’s no wonder that this dish has been a favorite for generations.
And with a recipe as easy and delicious as this one, there’s no reason not to add it to your repertoire of go-to meals. Whether you’re cooking for a dinner party or just looking for a hearty weeknight dinner, chicken piccata is sure to please.
So why not give it a try? With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, this recipe is perfect for home cooks of all skill levels. And once you take that first bite of tender, perfectly seasoned chicken smothered in tangy lemon sauce…well, let’s just say you won’t be disappointed.
So go ahead, invite some friends over, pop open a bottle of white wine, and whip up a batch of this classic dish. Your taste buds (and your guests) will thank you.
Chicken Piccata Recipe
- 2 large lemons
- 1 1/2 1 1/2 lbs turkey cutlets or 1 1/2 lbs veal cutlets
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons drained small capers
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- Halve one lemon lengthwise and slice one half crosswise into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices.
- Juice the remaining 1 1/2 lemons to obtain 1/4 cup juice.
- Salt & pepper each cutlet generously and coat each with flour.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until hot, add 2 tbsp oil, saute half of the cutlets until medium brown (2 minutes per side).
- Transfer cutlets to warm plate.
- Add remaining oil and repeat with remaining cutlets.
- Add shallot or garlic to pan over medium heat -- saute until fragrant (30 seconds).
- Add stock and lemon slices, increase heat to high and deglaze pan; simmer until liquid reduces to about 1/3 cup.
- Add lemon juice and capers and simmer until sauce reduces again to 1/3 cup.
- Remove pan from heat, swirl in butter until it melts and thickens sauce; swirl in parsley.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!