Fellow food-lovers, I come bearing good news. Today, I share with you my recipe for the most succulent, juicy and crispy baked chicken drumsticks recipe you’ve ever tasted. Prepare to be amazed as your taste buds dance with joy with every bite. Trust me when I say this dish is comforting, easy and delicious beyond words.
Imagine biting into a perfectly seasoned piece of chicken with super crispy skin that’s still moist and tender inside – that’s exactly what you get with these easy oven-baked chicken drumsticks. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or weekend gatherings when you want to impress your guests without sweating over the stove for hours on end.
With just a handful of ingredients and 45 minutes in the oven, these drumsticks will be ready to serve hot and fresh, leaving you enough time to make the sides and set the table. You don’t need any fancy equipment or culinary skills – all you need is a baking sheet, some aluminum foil, and an oven.
Follow me as we dive into every aspect of this baked chicken drumsticks recipe – from the ingredients list to step-by-step instructions, variations, serving suggestions, storage tips, FAQ and more. Trust me when I say this chicken recipe will become a regular in your meal rotation.
So preheat your oven, grab a glass of wine if you’re feeling fancy, and let’s get started on making the best-ever baked chicken drumsticks!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Fellow food enthusiasts, let me present to you the best-ever recipe for baked chicken drumsticks that you will undoubtedly fall in love with. This easy oven-baked chicken dish is a game-changer that will turn the table for the better. Don’t believe me? Just keep reading and let me tell you why.
Firstly, this recipe is incredibly easy to make. You won’t need to be an expert cook to create a delicious meal. With just a few simple ingredients like mayonnaise, ground pepper, and salt, you can easily bake chicken legs until they’re golden brown and cooked to perfection. The preparation takes around ten minutes and baking time is 40-45 minutes; thus, the meal could be ready under an hour!
Secondly, this recipe results in drumsticks with super crispy skin. The secret? We brush the texture with olive oil and bake it at 425 degrees Fahrenheit in a preheated oven to create that crunchy texture everyone loves. After all, who doesn’t love crispy baked chicken?
Thirdly, this recipe is incredibly versatile. You can add your preferred spices or even marinate your drumsticks in Jamaican or soy sauce for an extra flavor boost. Additionally, you could pair your crispy baked chicken with roasted potatoes or even fried chicken thighs to create an unforgettable meal experience.
Finally, this recipe is healthy! Yes, you read that right. By creating a homemade dish instead of buying fast food or takeout options, you know precisely what goes into your meal. And with baked chicken drumsticks having 50% fewer calories than fried chicken legs, this recipe is a sensible way to get that crispy chicken fix.
Are you convinced yet? Because we don’t call it the best for nothing! Once you try our easy oven-baked chicken drumsticks recipe, we guarantee you’ll never go back to any other version!
The ingredient list for baked chicken drumsticks is not that long, as you won’t be using too many spices or sauces for this recipe. Nonetheless, the simplicity of the ingredients does not take away from the amazing flavor of this dish. Here are the ingredients you need to make this dish:
- Chicken drumsticks: The star of the show. You’ll need about 2 pounds or 8 pieces of chicken drumsticks.
- Mayonnaise: This is used to bind the spices to the chicken and also helps give a crispy skin.
- Ground black pepper and salt: For seasoning the chicken. Keep in mind that you can always adjust these according to your taste preferences.
- Olive oil: To coat the baking sheet and help crisp up the chicken even further.
- Garlic powder: Adds extra flavor to the chicken.
- Optional: Cayenne pepper: If you like some heat in your food, cayenne pepper adds a nice kick to the dish.
That’s it! With these simple ingredients, you’ll have an economical dinner with lots of protein and a ton of flavor.
The Recipe How-To
Now, it’s time to jump into the most important part of our recipe article – the recipe itself! In this section, I will guide you through each step, so your baked chicken drumsticks turn out perfectly juicy and crispy every time.
First things first, let’s gather all the necessary ingredients. You will need:
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Rub the mixture all over the chicken drumsticks, making sure they are well coated on all sides.
- Place the chicken drumsticks onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F (use an instant-read thermometer to check). Remember to turn the chicken halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
Voila! The best-ever crispy baked chicken drumsticks are now ready to serve!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you tired of the classic baked chicken drumsticks recipe and looking for something new to try? Don’t worry; I’ve got you covered with a few easy substitutions and variations that you can play with:
1. Jamaican Marinated Chicken Drumsticks: If you’re in the mood for a Caribbean-inspired dish, try marinating your chicken drumsticks in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and thyme for at least 2 hours before baking. You’ll have juicy, flavorful drumsticks with a kick.
2. Lemon Chicken Drumsticks: If you prefer citrusy flavors, add some zest to your chicken drumsticks by rubbing them in lemon juice and olive oil before baking. Top them off with some fresh parsley or rosemary for an extra kick of flavor.
3. BBQ Chicken Drumsticks: For those who love barbecue flavors, simply brush your drumsticks with your favorite bbq sauce halfway through the baking time and let it caramelize on the skin. Sweet, savory, and finger-licking good!
4. Roasted Potatoes and Chicken Drumsticks: Do you want an all-in-one meal? Chop up some potatoes into chunks and toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper before placing them on the baking sheet alongside your chicken legs. You’ll have a complete meal ready to serve within 45 minutes.
5. Honey Glazed Chicken Drumsticks: Toss your drumsticks in honey, garlic powder, paprika, and salt before baking for sweet yet savory flavorcrunchy skin!
These substitutions are simple yet sure to impress your guests (or yourself!) with their unique flavors. Experiment as you like and enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving baked chicken drumsticks, you’ll want to be sure that everyone is ready to dig in. These tender and juicy delights are perfect for any occasion and pair well with a variety of sides.
For a classic pairing, I suggest serving your baked chicken drumsticks with crispy roasted potatoes. If you’re feeling adventurous, try pairing them with Jamaican-style rice and beans or even some spicy Cajun corn on the cob.
If you want to add some freshness to the mix, consider serving a crisp green salad or freshly steamed vegetables. The choices are endless, so feel free to get creative!
In terms of beverages, a nice cold beer or refreshing glass of white wine will do just fine to complement the flavors of the chicken.
As an alternative, you can marinate your chicken drumsticks in soy sauce for a healthy and flavorful twist. Or add honey for sweet honey chicken.
No matter what you choose, these easy oven-baked chicken drumsticks will be a crowd-pleaser that leaves everyone wanting more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Picture this, you’re hosting a party and running around all day trying to get everything ready. The last thing you need is to be frantically trying to cook your chicken drumsticks, but fear not! With this recipe, you can make your chicken ahead of time and keep it stored until it’s ready to be reheated.
To make ahead of time, simply follow the recipe steps up until the baking part. Once you’ve coated the chicken drumsticks, place them in an airtight container or a resealable bag and stick them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. This will allow the flavors to marinate and infuse into the chicken.
When it’s finally time for the party, preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 celsius) and place the chicken drumsticks onto a baking sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Bake the chicken legs for 40-45 minutes until crispy on both sides, turning halfway through.
After your party is over, no need to throw away leftovers! You can store any uneaten baked chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days or freeze for up to two months. To reheat these bad boys, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (or 200 celsius) and bake your medium-sized drumsticks for around ten minutes until they’re heated through.
But let’s face it, leftover crispy baked chicken never lasts that long in my house. You’ll be grabbing one from the fridge at odd hours sneaking a bite like it’s nobody’s business!
Tips for Perfect Results
Achieving the perfect baked chicken drumsticks can be a challenging task, especially when you are cooking for your guests. Here are some useful tips to help you prepare the best-ever chicken drumsticks that are tender, juicy and crispy on the outside:
Firstly, it is important to preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220°C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. This helps to prevent the chicken from sticking and makes cleaning up easier.
Secondly, I recommend placing the chicken drumsticks on the baking sheet not too close together, to allow for even cooking and air circulation. If they are too crowded, they may not cook evenly and turn out soggy.
Thirdly, for super crispy skin, use a spray cooking oil such as canola or olive oil before baking. The oil helps to crisp up the skin while preventing it from drying out in the oven. Alternatively, you can brush the chicken with melted butter or mayonnaise before seasoning them.
Fourthly, if you want a super crispy baked chicken drumstick, sprinkle some baking powder (around 1/4 tsp for every four drums) into your seasoning mix of salt and ground pepper. Baking powder helps to draw out moisture from the chicken skin and creates bubbles that make it crunchy.
Fifthly, turn over the chicken halfway through baking. This ensures that both sides of the chicken drumstick are crispy and golden brown. To avoid making a mess while turning them over, use tongs instead of a fork.
Lastly, check that the internal temperature of the baked chicken leg reaches 165°F (74°C) before taking it out of the oven. A meat thermometer comes in handy to prevent undercooking or overcooking.
By following these simple tips, your baked chicken drumsticks will turn out amazing each time.
Before concluding this recipe article, it’s important to address some frequently asked questions that may come up as you’re preparing these delicious baked chicken drumsticks. By addressing these questions and concerns head-on, we can ensure that you have all the tools necessary to successfully execute this recipe with ease and confidence. So without further ado, let’s dive into some of the most common FAQs associated with baking chicken drumsticks.
How long does it take for drumsticks to cook in the oven?
When it comes to baking drumsticks in the oven, the cooking time can vary. Generally, it takes approximately 40-45 minutes to bake medium-sized drumsticks at 400°F. However, it’s important to keep in mind that if your oven is particularly hot or if the drumsticks are on the smaller side, they may require less time to cook. Overall, it’s essential to keep an eye on them to avoid over or under-cooking.
Is it better to bake drumsticks at 350 or 400?
Are you looking to cook some chicken legs but struggling to achieve that perfectly crispy skin? One tip is to try baking them at a higher temperature than usual – around 400 to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that the skin becomes crispy and delectable, while the meat stays juicy and tender. While a lower temperature like 350 degrees Fahrenheit can still yield a delicious outcome, it may not provide the desired texture. So go ahead and turn up the heat for some irresistibly crunchy and succulent chicken legs.
Should I cover chicken drumsticks with foil when baking?
If you’re wondering whether or not to cover drumsticks in the oven, my recommendation is not to cover them. To achieve perfectly roasted drumsticks with crispy skin, it’s better to leave them uncovered. You wouldn’t want the chicken to steam instead of roast, which can happen if you cover them up. So, let them breathe in the oven for the best results!
Do you flip chicken drumsticks when baking?
To make sure your chicken is cooked evenly, I suggest flipping it over halfway through the baking process. This way, every inch of the skin will be crispy and golden by the end. However, if you want the skin to be extra crispy, try broiling the chicken for a minute or two on each side after baking. This will give it a nice crunch without overcooking the meat inside.
In conclusion, these baked chicken drumsticks are easy to make, packed with flavor, and will definitely become a hit at your next gathering. With the perfect combination of mayonnaise, ground pepper, and spices, your guests won’t be able to resist the crispy skin and juicy meat. What’s more, this recipe offers flexibility and room for experimentation with various substitutions and variations. Whether you choose to go for a Jamaican or lemon chicken twist, your taste buds will thank you.
Plus, with simple instructions and tips for storing and reheating, these baked chicken drumsticks will save you time as well as impress your guests. So why not bake a batch tonight for dinner or perhaps host that party you’ve been planning? With minimal preparation and an effortless baking process, it’s no wonder why this recipe is a must-try.
In short, if you’re looking for that ultimate chicken dish that’s super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, look no further than this easy oven-baked chicken drumsticks recipe. I promise you won’t regret it!
Baked Chicken Drumsticks. Recipe
- 12 chicken drumsticks (usually there are between 10 to 16 legs in a packet)
- 1 pinch salt (to your taste)
- 1 pinch ground pepper (to your taste)
- 4 tablespoons hot sauce (Adjika sauce-russian gourmet hot sauce)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (olive oil mayo)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees.
- 2. Wash off the drumsticks. Do not take off the skin!
- 3. Put all the drumsticks in a large bowl & add salt and pepper.
- 5. The bottle of Adjika is usually about 8.8 oz. I use about half of that small jar. Mix the adjika with mayo. Really depends on your taste. Make sure every drumstick is rubbed with the sauce.
- 5. Take out a dish which can fit all the drumsticks on there and line it with foil (or you can just rub down the dish with butter or spray with pam, so no foil is needed really) Place the drumsticks.
- 6. Bake for about 15-20 mins on one side and then flip them to bake for the same time on the over side.
- 7. If more time needed to cook leave them in for a little more.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!