The Ultimate Comfort Food: Homemade Lasagna Recipe
Lasagna has always been a fan favorite when it comes to homemade Italian cuisine. It’s hard to resist the layers of pasta, meat sauce, creamy cheese fillings, and rich spices that turn into an incredible taste in every bite. That’s why I want to share with you the most incredibly awesome lasagna recipe that will make your taste buds dance with joy.
But before we dive into the recipe, let me ask you: have you ever struggled to find a classic lasagna recipe that is easy to make from scratch? Have you ever been disappointed with the blandness of a store-bought or frozen lasagna? Let me assure you that this recipe is nothing like those experiences. This lasagna is a homemade classic that will elevate your cooking skills to a whole new level.
Whether you’re looking for an entree dish for your family dinner, a dish to impress your friends at a potluck, or simply craving the comforting taste of authentic Italian cuisine, this is the best lasagna recipe you’ll ever try.
So are you ready to craft this epic homemade lasagne that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters? Let’s dive into the recipe and create an amazing dish together. Bon appétit!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Folks, let me tell you, this lasagna recipe is not just good, it’s *incredibly awesome!* You’re going to fall in love with every tender, saucy bite. Don’t believe me? Well, let me explain why you need to try this recipe.
First things first, the meat sauce. It’s a perfect combination of ground beef and sweet Italian sausage cooked to perfection with onions and garlic – trust me, your house is going to smell amazing. Plus, the addition of crushed tomatoes adds a creaminess that will have you dreaming about it for days.
But let’s not forget about the creamy and delicious bechamel sauce that makes all the difference. With heavy whipping cream, butter, flour, and nutmeg creating a velvety smooth flavor that pairs perfectly with the hearty meat sauce.
The layers are what really make this recipe unbeatable. We’ve got the classic noodles layered with a mixture of ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese. Add in more layers of meat sauce and mozzarella cheese, then finish it off with another layer of noodles – yum!
Next time you’re craving something homemade that’ll stick to your ribs and leave you completely satisfied – make this incredible lasagna recipe! This pretty plate-feast is sure to please everyone at your table. Bon appétit!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Paula Deen House Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lasagna Noodles: 9 ounces (12 noodles) of oven-ready lasagna noodles
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Lasagna noodles
- Cottage cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
The Recipe How-To
Layering the Perfect Lasagna
Now, here comes the fun part, putting everything together to create the best lasagna ever. In a greased 9×13 inch baking pan, add around 1/2 cup of meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange the lasagna noodles side by side on top of the meat sauce until they cover the whole pan. Over the noodles, spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by another layer of meat sauce (about 1 cup). Then sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese (around 1 cup) over the meat sauce.
Add another layer of lasagna noodles onto the mozzarella cheese and repeat this step twice, ending with a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Bake and Serve
Preheat your oven to 375°F / 190°C while you assemble your lasagna. Cover it tightly with a foil and let it bake for about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and uncover, then continue cooking it uncovered for another 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
Once done baking, remove from oven and let sit for around 10 minutes before cutting into pieces. Serve your incredibly awesome lasagna while warm and enjoy it with some heavenly garlic bread or a side salad.
- Be sure to boil your lasagna noodles until they are al-dente.
- Let your lasagna rest for around 10 minutes before cutting it into pieces.
- Add some nutmeg to your ricotta cheese mixture for added flavor.
- For an extra creamy texture, mix in some heavy whipping cream to your bechamel sauce.
- Using sweet Italian sausage instead of beef gives an amazing twist that makes this dish absolutely irresistible!
- Don’t forget to watch our recipe video tutorial down below to help guide you along!
Substitutions and Variations
Variations are a great way to put your own personal spin on a classic dish like lasagna. Here are some ideas to get you started:
– Meatless: If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you can swap out the ground beef and Italian sausage for your favourite vegetables, such as roasted eggplant and zucchini. You could also try adding spinach or kale for a boost of nutrients.
– Chicken or Turkey: Instead of using beef and sausage in this recipe, you can substitute cooked, shredded chicken or turkey. This is a great way to use up leftover meat from a roast or holiday meal.
– Vegan: For a vegan twist on this recipe, you can use tofu ricotta cheese instead of regular ricotta cheese and vegan mozzarella cheese. You could also add mushrooms, bell peppers, or other vegetables to the sauce.
– Gluten-Free: To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free lasagna noodles and an all-purpose gluten-free flour in place of regular flour.
Remember that experimenting with different substitutions and variations can lead to new flavour combinations that work for your specific taste buds.
Serving and Pairing
After all the hard work, it’s time to savor the fruits of your labor. My incredibly awesome lasagna recipe is perfect for sharing with friends and family.
For a magical and memorable experience, serve this lasagna hot on a large platter. You can garnish it with some fresh basil or parsley for color and aroma.
This dish pairs well with a fresh green salad or roasted vegetables. To balance out the heaviness of the lasagna, I like to pair it with a crisp Chianti or Pinot Noir. A light-bodied white wine, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio, would also complement this lasagna very well.
If you have any leftovers, don’t worry. They make for an excellent next-day meal. You can also freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to three months.
With these serving and pairing recommendations, you’re ready to impress any crowd with my incredibly awesome lasagna recipe. Bon appétit!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the wonderful things about this incredibly awesome lasagna recipe is that it can be made ahead of time! In fact, making it in advance can even improve the flavor and texture, as the various layers have more time to meld together.
To make ahead: You can prepare the entire lasagna up until the point of baking, then cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to two days. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking according to the recipe instructions.
To store: Leftover lasagna can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Simply reheat individual portions in the microwave or oven as desired. For best results, cover with foil when reheating in the oven to prevent the cheese from burning.
To freeze: This delicious lasagna also freezes beautifully, which makes it a great idea for meal prep or entertaining. Simply bake and cool completely, then cut into individual portions or leave whole and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Place in freezer-safe containers or bags and freeze for up to three months.
To reheat: From frozen, transfer to a baking dish and let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating according to recipe instructions. Alternatively, reheat individual portions from frozen using a microwave or oven.
With these helpful tips on storing and reheating your incredible lasagna recipe, you’ll be able to enjoy your leftovers just as much as your first serving!
Tips for Perfect Results
Before you start making this incredibly awesome lasagna, I want to share with you some tips to ensure your success in creating the best homemade lasagna that will wow your guests. Here are some essential tips for perfect results:
Firstly, don’t overcook the lasagna noodles. Boil them for 8-10 minutes until they are pliable but not floppy. Keep in mind that they will continue to cook when baked in the oven.
Secondly, let the lasagna cool down a bit after taking it out of the oven before serving. Doing this will make it easier to cut and serve without causing the layers of cheese to slide off.
Another important tip is to cover your lasagna with foil while baking it in the oven. This will keep the moisture inside and prevent it from drying too quickly.
When making your meat sauce creamy, add a pinch of nutmeg for some warmth and depth of flavor that perfectly complements the other ingredients.
In order to achieve those perfectly melted cheese layers, alternate between mozzarella and parmesan cheese during each layering stage, starting and ending with mozzarella on top.
Next, after assembling your lasagna, let it rest in the fridge overnight before baking it. This technique will allow the flavors to blend together better and make for a tastier end result.
Lastly, use a sharp knife to cut and serve to avoid crumbling or mushing up the layers. Follow these tips for an amazing lasagna recipe 100% from scratch.
By putting these tips into action, you’re sure to make an incredibly awesome lasagna that’ll have everyone at your party coming back for seconds – and even thirds!
Before we wrap it up, let’s go over some commonly asked questions about our incredibly awesome lasagna/lasagne recipe. I understand that making lasagna/lasagne can be daunting for many home chefs, but fear not, as I will provide answers to some of the most pressing queries for this recipe. So, let’s dive into the FAQ section and unravel any last doubts you may have.
How do you make Paula Deen’s lasagna?
For this recipe, we’ll need some ingredients to make a delicious beef lasagna. We’ll need a cup of grated Gruyere cheese, 12 ounces of cottage cheese mixed with 1 beaten egg and 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and 6 to 9 long strips of lasagna noodles. Additionally, we’ll need 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, 2 bay leaves, 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of Paula Deen’s Seasoned Salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Paula Deen’s House Seasoning.
Is cottage cheese or ricotta better for lasagna?
When it comes to choosing between ricotta cheese and cottage cheese for your homemade lasagna, it ultimately depends on your personal taste. Both types of cheese can be used to make a delicious lasagna, with each providing a slightly different texture. If you prefer a lighter lasagna, cottage cheese is the way to go, while those who want a richer and denser texture should opt for using ricotta cheese.
How many layers of lasagna is best?
To create the perfect lasagna, it’s important to use four layers of noodles. Make sure to use the wider noodles for both the first and last layers. If you don’t have enough noodles, you can use any extras in the top or bottom layers.
In conclusion, this incredibly awesome lasagna/lasagne recipe is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your taste buds. With layers of meaty sauce, creamy bechamel, gooey cheese, and perfectly cooked noodles, this dish is a show-stopper that will make everyone want seconds.
Just remember to follow the tips and recommendations included in this article for perfect results. Consider making it ahead of time and reheating for convenience or even trying out some substitutions and variations to make it your own.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced home chef, this recipe is worth trying out. And who knows, it may even become your new favorite lasagna/lasagne recipe!
So go ahead and give it a try – buon appetito!
The Most Incredibly Awesome Lasagna/Lasagne! Recipe
- 9 ounces barilla no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 -12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated or shaved)
- 2 (28 ounce) jars francesco rinaldi ultra dolce spaghetti sauce (also known as "Sweet and Tasty Tomato", you will have about 1/2 jar leftover)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper
- Make the Bechamel Sauce:
- Heat the cream and milk in the microwave until it is hot, but not boiling.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to bubble, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the hot cream and milk. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, continuing to whisk, 2 to 3 minutes longer, or until fairly thick. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. (I use about 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper).
- Directions for Assembling the Lasagna:
- In a deep lasagna pan begin layering with thin layer of red sauce.
- Add first layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add second layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and béchamel sauce (about 1 cup). Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer a third of the mozzarella.
- Add third layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top.
- Then add another layer of red sauce (about 1 cup) and remaining béchamel sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Then layer remaining mozzarella.
- Add fourth and final layer of pasta (4 sheets) on top. Then top with red sauce and sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Cover top of lasagna dish with cover or foil.
- Place assembled lasagna dish into oven for 50 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove cover and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to settle for about 15-20 minutes before serving.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!