Are you bored with the same old boring sandwiches and want to add some excitement to your mealtime? Look no further than my Puget Sound Clam Roll recipe. Living in the Puget Sound region of Washington state, I have grown to love the local seafood, especially the razor clams. This clam roll is a must-try if you are a fan of clam chowder, sandwich or fried food.
But don’t worry if you’ve never tried clam before; the recipe is straightforward and easy to make. You can also customize it to suit your taste preferences. I promise you that this recipe will be a game-changer, and it will be hard to resist making it again and again.
So, get ready to dig for some razor clams, grab some flour and shortening, pack up your cooler, and head out for some Puget Sound adventure. My Puget Sound Clam Roll recipe will elevate your meal game to the next level, and you won’t ever go back to your old sandwich preferences again!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old sandwich options for your parties or gatherings? Look no further because I’ve got just the recipe for you: Puget Sound Clam Roll!
This recipe is perfect for those who love seafood and want to do something a little different than the usual tuna fish sandwich. The main ingredient, minced clams, are sourced straight from the Puget Sound region of Washington state. This means that not only are you enjoying a delicious sandwich, but you’re also supporting local and sustainable seafood sources.
Not only is this sandwich flavorful and unique, it’s also incredibly easy to make. With just a few simple ingredients like flour, baking powder, milk and shortening, you can create a soft and fluffy roll that will perfectly complement the savory minced clam filling. Plus, it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until ready to serve.
And let’s not forget about the cheese. I recommend adding one cup of grated cheese into the mix for an even richer flavor. This cheese can be sourced from Costco or any other food store that has the right mix of flavors to suit your taste buds.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a new twist on your regular sandwich options and want to support local seafood sources, then you’ll love this Puget Sound Clam Roll recipe. It’s easy to make, packs a punch in terms of flavor, and is sure to impress your guests at any party or gathering.
Puget Sound Clams: Of course, the star of the show are the Puget Sound clams. You will need 20 razor clams, but if you are unable to find them, you can always substitute them for minced clams from a can.
Flour Mixture: For the batter that will coat the clams, you will need one cup of flour and two teaspoons of baking powder.
Milk and Onion Mixture: You will also need one cup of milk to create a smooth consistency in the batter. To this, add 1/2 cup of minced onion.
Shortening: While using vegetable oil is a popular substitute for frying items like these clam rolls, I highly recommend sticking with shortening for this recipe for the best flavor and result.
Salt: Don’t forget to add two teaspoons of salt to give your dough and clams that extra flavor boost they deserve!
Grated Cheese: To add an extra layer of taste to your Puget Sound Clam Roll Recipe add one cup grated cheese into the mixture after mixing up all mentioned ingredients.
Lemon Juice: One tablespoon lemon juice adds a refreshing tanginess to your recipe.
Cream Cheese: This Puget Sound Clam Roll Recipe involves using cream cheese to create yummy sandwich.
The Recipe How-To
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
To start off, we want to create the perfect base for our Puget Sound Clam Roll. First, preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C).
Next, take a mixing bowl and add 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix it all together, then add 1/3 cup of shortening until it’s evenly distributed throughout the dry ingredients.
Gradually stir in 1/2 cup of milk until the dough clings together and is easy to handle. Then turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly – around 10 times should do it.
Roll out the dough using a floured rolling pin until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or overturned glass, cut into rounds about 3 inches in diameter.
Step 2: Add the Clam Filling
Start by opening up one can of minced clams (6.5 ounces), drain any liquid, and set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix together one grated onion, one cup of grated cheese, half a cup cream cheese, juice from half of a lemon and one tablespoon tomato soup mix well.
Add in the drained minced clams, and mix it all again; this will form your clam filling for your Puget Sound Clam Roll.
Step 3: Assemble Your Clam Roll
Now comes the fun part; take each biscuit and flatten it out slightly with your fingers before adding two heaping tablespoons of clam filling into the center.
Fold up all sides of the dough around the filling, pinching them firmly together so that it forms a ball-like shape that encases your filling completely.
Make sure no filling is exposed or leaking at this point, and place each one on an ungreased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with flour or cornmeal mixture.
Step 4: Bake Your Clam Rolls
Bake in preheated oven for around 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown crust forms on top; Then take them out of their tray using a flat spatula
Serve hot with tartar sauce or on its own!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to put your own spin on the Puget Sound Clam Roll Recipe? There are a variety of ways to customize this recipe to your liking! Here are some substitutions and variations to consider:
– Cheese: The recipe calls for one cup of grated cheese, but you can experiment with different types of cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack, to add some extra flavor.
– Clams: While this recipe uses minced clams, you can easily swap them out for razor clams – a popular clam species found in the Puget Sound region. You can also mix it up by adding fried clams to your sandwich for some crunchiness.
– Milk: If you don’t have milk on hand, you can substitute it with cream or buttermilk for a richer flavor.
– Tomato soup: To add an extra layer of flavor, try using tomato bisque instead of tomato soup. You can also make your own homemade tomato soup if you have time.
– Shortening: While this recipe calls for shortening, you can substitute it with butter or coconut oil for a healthier alternative.
– Sandwich: You don’t have to stick with a traditional clam roll. Try using a sourdough bun or ciabatta bread for a different texture. You could also turn this recipe into a wrap or salad.
The possibilities are endless with this recipe – try mixing and matching different ingredients to create a dish that’s truly unique to you.
Serving and Pairing
Now that your Puget Sound Clam Roll is ready, it’s time to serve it up and find some perfect side dishes that will compliment the flavors of this delicious sandwich. I recommend pairing this roll with some crispy french fries, coleslaw or a side salad.
The simplicity and flavors of the clam roll make it an ideal companion to tangy and refreshingly tart tomatoes, making tomato soup another great option to serve alongside this dish. You can also pour yourself a glass of cold beer or iced tea to wash down the flavors and add some effervescence to your meal.
The gentle flavors of minced clams have a natural affinity towards earthy and floral white wines, making a light dosage of Chardonnay or Pinot Gris an excellent accompaniment for those who relish in every sip.
Don’t forget that cheese is also a great addition to any clam dish. If you are hosting a party, I recommend setting up a cheese board with assorted types of cheese including cheddar, blue cheese and brie. Your guests can mix and match their own sandwiches with the cheese or add some cream cheese spread for a more luxurious taste.
No matter what you serve alongside the Puget Sound Clam Roll, keep in mind that this sandwich is already packed with plenty of savory goodness. So, all you need is something on the side to bring out its natural unique tastes.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
You can easily make this Puget Sound Clam Roll ahead of time and store it in your fridge until your party starts. You can make the filling a day or two in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator. Then, when it’s time to assemble the rolls, simply heat up the filling and stuff it into the rolls.
For reheating the Puget Sound Clam Roll, you can use one of two methods to achieve crispy and toasted texture. The first method is to stick your already assembled clam rolls on a baking tray and put them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about eight to ten minutes or until they’re warmed through and lightly browned on top.
The second method requires cutting the roll filled with clam into slices, then fry up individual slices into an inch of hot oil just enough to coat each slice and not deep-fry. The key here is to have each slice cook evenly without burning or making too oily.
Keep any leftover assembled roll in an air-tight container in your refrigerator for up to two days beyond that period there’s a possibility of spoilage. However, if you only have leftover filling, you may store it separately for up to three days. Simply reheat and assemble again when ready for another serving.
As much as possible, please avoid freezing your clam rolls after assembling them since bread tends not to hold up well once it has been frozen.
So whether you’re hosting a big holiday celebration or just a small get-together with family and friends, you can still serve these delicious Puget Sound Clam Rolls without stressing out about making them last minute thanks to their make-ahead feature.
Tips for Perfect Results
Here are some tips to help you achieve the perfect Puget Sound Clam Roll Recipe:
1. Use fresh ingredients: When it comes to seafood, freshness is key. We recommend buying local clams or even going clam digging yourself in the Puget Sound region. The fresher the clams, the better the taste.
2. Don’t overcook the clams: Overcooking clams can result in a rubbery texture and an unpleasant taste. Cook them just until they open up, which should take about 5 minutes.
3. Be generous with the cheese: The cheese adds richness and flavor to the clam mixture, so make sure to use at least one cup of grated cheese.
4. Use shortening for flakier rolls: We recommend using shortening instead of butter for a flakier roll texture. Cut the cold shortening into small pieces and mix it into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Serve with tomato soup: In the Puget Sound region, serving Clam Roll with tomato soup is a common combination. The acidity from the tomatoes pairs perfectly with the richness of the rolls.
6. Try frying the clams: If you want to switch things up, try frying your clams instead of cooking them in a pot. It will give your rolls a crunchy texture and an even more delicious flavor.
7. Experiment with different types of cheese: Although we recommend using cheddar cheese, other cheeses such as cream cheese or a mix of different cheeses can be used for added flavor.
Overall, these tips will guide you in making delicious Puget Sound Clam Rolls that are sure to impress your guests!
In conclusion, the Puget Sound Clam Roll recipe is an absolute winner. It is a perfect representation of the kind of food that people from the Puget Sound region truly love to eat. This is comfort food at its best, and it is a dish that is both classic and versatile.
With some skill in the kitchen, you can whip up this recipe in no time. The puffiness of the fried clam and the crispness of the bread make this sandwich a favorite among locals. I highly recommend trying out this recipe for yourself, especially if you’re new to clam digging or looking for something unique to try.
Overall, the pleasure that comes with making and devouring this delicious clam roll makes it one of those recipes that will have you feeling like a true master chef in no time. So gather your ingredients and head on out to Puget Sound for some clam digging: you won’t regret it!
Puget Sound Clam Roll Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or 1/2 cup lard
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 2 (10 ounce) cans minced clams, drained (you're looking for two cups of clam meat)
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1 cup tomato soup
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a baking sheet.
- Sift first three ingredients together; cut in shortening.
- Add milk to make a soft dough.
- Place on a floured surface and roll to 1/4" in thickness.
- Combine clams,onion, bread crumbs, salt and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- Moisten slightly with some of the tomato soup.
- Mix well and spread mixture on dough.
- Roll as for a jelly roll and slice 1 1/2" thick.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining soup, pour over hot rolls and garnish with grated cheese.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!