Do you often feel that something is missing from your dishes? I have just the thing to enhance your taste buds – pineapple tomatillo salsa! This sweet and savory salsa will add an explosion of flavor to any dish you serve. With its fresh ingredients and bold flavors, this recipe is sure to be a hit at your next party or event.
This pineapple tomatillo salsa recipe is a crowd-pleaser and a must-have in anyone’s recipe collection. It is incredibly easy to whip up, and the end result is a delicious blend of sweet and spicy notes. Whether you serve it as a dip, topping, or standalone salsa, this recipe is a real winner.
This salsa can also be paired with different dishes such as tacos, grilled fish, chicken, or pork chops. It works well as an accompaniment alongside your favorite veggies or simply served as an enticing sauce. This versatile salsa has endless possibilities.
So if you are ready to elevate your taste buds and add some tropical flair to your meals, let’s get started with the ingredient list and instructions for the perfect pineapple tomatillo salsa.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a fan of sweet, spicy, and tangy flavors, then this Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa recipe is guaranteed to be a hit for any party or occasion. I can confidently say that this recipe is like heaven in your mouth.
Let me break it down for you – juicy pineapples and firm tomatillos combine together effortlessly to create an unforgettable flavor profile. The sweetness of the pineapples complements the tartness of the tomatillos, creating a unique and delightful taste.
But that’s not all – I also add a subtle hint of spicy chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and jalapeno to balance out the sweetness with some heat. Additionally, the aroma and zing from the fresh lime juice and cilantro leaves elevate the flavor to the next level.
Not only is this recipe perfect for those with a sweet tooth and love for fiery flavors, but it’s also versatile. You can use it as a topper for fish or chicken, enjoy it on its own with chips, or mix it into your favorite dishes as a condiment.
To top it off, this recipe is incredibly easy to make, taking just minutes of preparation time; all you need are fresh ingredients and a food processor. Plus, since there’s no cooking involved in making this salsa, you get to retain all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables – win-win!
So why wouldn’t you love this vibrant and delicious Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa recipe? It’s refreshing, healthy, easy-to-make, versatile, and most importantly – mouth-wateringly tasty!
This Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa Recipe requires a combination of sweet and savory ingredients to create the perfect balance.
You will need the following:
- 6 medium tomatillos, husks removed, washed, and diced 1/2 inch
- 1 jalapeno, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped 1/4 inch
- 1 pound of fresh pineapple, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, diced 1/2 inch
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaf, chopped 1/2 inch
- Salt to taste
Substitutions and Variations
Not happy with any ingredients or missing some? Here are some good substitutions to help you achieve a similar end result:
- Don’t have access to fresh pineapple? Use canned pineapple as an alternative.
- Want a spicy kick? Consider using a habanero pepper instead of jalapeno.
- You can use vegetable oil instead of olive oil
- If you are not a big fan of cilantro, feel free to substitute it with parsley or basil.
- Adjust salt levels based on your preferences.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all of our ingredients, let’s dive straight into the recipe. Here’s how you can make a refreshing and zesty Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa:
Step 1: Prep the Tomatillos and Pineapple
Begin by cleaning around 1 pound of tomatillos under running water, then taking off their husks. You can achieve this by either rubbing them vigorously or giving them a quick rinse. After removing the husks, dry them using a kitchen or paper towel.
Next, grab a bowl and start cutting your fresh pineapple into small chunks until you reach about 1 cup. Set aside after.
Step 2: Grill the Tomatillos
Put a grill pan over medium heat and brush it with some olive oil. Place the cleaned tomatillos on top and grill them for around 5 minutes until they get browned from all sides, turning them over halfway through. Once done, transfer them to your chopping board and roughly slice them up.
Step 3: Mix in Red Onion, Jalapeño and Cilantro
Get a mixing bowl and add 1 diced red onion, along with 1 Jalapeño chopped finely, and about ½ cup cilantro leaves, all roughly chopped. Then toss in the grilled tomatillos slices that you set aside earlier.
Step 4: Make Your Sauce
Combine your roasted pineapple chunks with the mixed ingredients on the chopping board alongside a tablespoon each of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and fresh lime juice. Put everything into a food processor or blender and pulse it just enough so that the mixture comes together but not completely pureed.
Step 5: Adjust Seasoning to Taste
Transfer the salsa into a serving dish, season it up with salt, tossing it gently. If you prefer some sweetness in your salsa, drizzle about 1 tablespoon of honey, adjusting according to taste.
Congratulations! You have successfully made your own Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa in no time! Remember to serve it immediately or keep it refrigerated until your next mealtime for optimal freshness!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making salsa, there are endless possibilities for substitutions and variations. Here are some ideas to help you personalize this pineapple tomatillo salsa recipe to fit your preferences:
1. Spice level: If you’re looking to make this salsa extra spicy, you can add more chipotle chiles in adobo or jalapeño peppers. On the other hand, if you prefer a milder flavor, you can omit the chiles altogether.
2. Fruit alternatives: While this recipe calls for fresh pineapple, feel free to experiment with other tropical fruits such as mango or papaya. You could even combine different fruits to create a unique flavor profile.
3. Herb substitutions: While cilantro is a classic ingredient in salsa, not everyone enjoys its taste. Consider replacing cilantro leaves with parsley or even mint leaves.
4. Onion choices: While red onion adds great color and flavor to this salsa recipe, you can substitute it with yellow onion or shallots for a milder taste.
5. Roasting method: This recipe calls for roasted pineapple and grilled tomatillos. However, you can also mix it up by using fresh ingredients instead of roasted ones or try different roasting methods such as cooking shirani style.
6. Sauce variations: If you prefer a thinner salsa, try blending the ingredients together until smooth for a sauce-like consistency. You could also turn it into salsa verde by adding more tomatillos and green chili.
Remember that substitutions and variations offer endless possibilities for adding character and uniqueness to this delicious pineapple tomatillo salsa recipe.
Serving and Pairing
You’ll love how versatile this Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa recipe is, as it can be used in a number of dishes. Its sweet and spicy flavor profile makes it perfect for tacos, burritos, grilled chicken or fish, and even on scrambled eggs.
This delightful tomatillo salsa pairs well with grilled and roasted meats, as well as seafood such as shrimp, crab, and fish. I recommend pairing it with grilled chicken for a tantalizing main course; the subtle smoky flavor of the grilled chicken compliments the sweetness of the pineapple.
The salsa is also a great topping for tacos al pastor, where the spiciness of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce deepens the flavor of your meat filling. Add some diced onions and cilantro leaf to brighten up the flavors, and you’re sure to have everyone asking for seconds.
Planning a seafood feast? This pineapple tomatillo salsa is a fantastic accompaniment to shrimp or grilled fish while adding an exotic touch from the tropical fruit. The sweet-spicy combination found in this recipe will help elevate your meal’s flavors while still keeping it light enough to showcase the delicate seafood’s flavors.
For vegetarians or vegans, try pairing this tropical tomatillo salsa with avocado dip or hummus for a harmonious fusion of flavors. Or, mix with diced mango pieces for an extra touch of sweetness.
So whether you’re grilling outside with friends and family or hosting a dinner party indoors, this pineapple tomatillo salsa complements an array of dishes and will surely impress your guests.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
There are times when you want to prepare for a party in advance so that you can enjoy the party with your guests—without worrying about cooking. This Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa recipe is a perfect make-ahead option for any such occasion. You can make it up to two days in advance and still enjoy all its freshness and flavors.
For storing, transfer the salsa to an airtight container and keep it refrigerated until ready to use. You can store the Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa for up to four days, but keep in mind that fresh salsa tastes best. The longer it sits in the refrigerator, the more watery it becomes.
As for reheating, simply serve it cold as a topping or use it at room temperature in your favorite dish. However, reheating this salsa may cause its delicate flavors to break down, and its texture to become soft and mushy.
So, my advice is to store and serve the salsa as fresh as possible. It’s worth the extra effort to bring those bright colors and refreshing tastes at your party.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your pineapple tomatillo salsa is a hit at the party, pay close attention to these tips:
1. Don’t skimp on the salt: A little bit of salt goes a long way in bringing out the flavors of the pineapple and tomatillos. Be generous with the seasoning, and taste as you go.
2. Use honey sparingly: While a touch of sweetness can balance out the acidity in the salsa, adding too much honey may overpower the natural flavors of the ingredients. Start with a small amount and adjust to taste.
3. Cilantro leaves are your friend: The cilantro not only adds color to the salsa but also brings a burst of freshness to each bite. Go ahead and add an extra handful!
4. Control the heat: The level of spiciness is up to you, but keep in mind that chipotle chilies in adobo are quite potent. Remove some or all of the seeds from the jalapeno if you prefer a milder salsa.
5. Grill or roast for extra flavor: For a smoky and intense flavor, grill or roast your pineapple and tomatillos before adding them to the mix.
6. Use fresh lime juice: The lime juice adds brightness to the salsa, so don’t skip it! Squeeze fresh lime juice instead of using bottled juice for optimal results.
7. Dice everything evenly: To achieve a cohesive texture throughout, chop all your ingredients into similar-sized pieces.
8. Let it marinate overnight: Pineapple tomatillo salsa tastes even better with time, allowing the flavors to meld together. Make it ahead by preparing it a day or two in advance and storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to serving up a delicious and crowd-pleasing pineapple tomatillo salsa at your next party!
In conclusion, there’s no way you are going to miss out on this Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa recipe if you want to take your party to the next level. The unique blend of flavors; the sweetness of the pineapple, the tanginess of the tomatillo salsa, with a bit of spiciness from the chipotle chiles in adobo, will leave your taste buds wanting more.
With the various ways, you can serve and pair it, such as a great topping for fish dishes or even accompanying your favorite grilled meats. Don’t forget that you can even make substitutions and variations to customize to your personal preferences.
Also, feel free to make it ahead and store for later use; I bet it’s just as appetizing when reheated. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to check out our FAQ for additional insights.
I hope you have gained significant knowledge about what makes this recipe stand out from other salsas. Therefore, grab a pen and paper and get started on making this tropical delight that’ll surely impress your taste buds and guests alike. Trust me; it’s worth it!
Pineapple Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- 15 tomatillos, peeled and washed
- 3 slices pineapple, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaf
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- On a grill, griddle or cast iron pan, char tomatillos then char pineapple slices.
- Combine tomatillo, chipotle, cilantro and honey in a blender.
- Pulse until chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Dice pineapple and add to bowl along with onion and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- Chill or serve warm.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!