Perfect Shrimp Scampi Dinner Idea for Any Occasion
Shrimp Scampi is a classic seafood dish that is both tasty and easy to make. As a scribe for a home chef who loves throwing parties, I have had the pleasure of experiencing exceptional shrimp scampi dishes that leave guests speechless. Let’s face it; there are some dishes that we make at home that just never turn out as well as we want them to, but with shrimp scampi, you can have restaurant-quality food right in the comfort of your own home.
In this recipe article, I will be sharing my homemade Shrimp Scampi recipe, along with pro tips and recommendations to perfect your scampi game. The inspiration for this recipe comes from my love for Italian cuisine and my desire to experiment in the kitchen.
I can assure you that this shrimp scampi recipe is simple to follow and delivers on taste. With staple ingredients such as butter, garlic, olive oil, and white wine, you can create a delicious bowl of scrumptiousness in no time. Whether you’re hosting a large dinner party or preparing a weeknight meal for your family, this shrimp scampi recipe is guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
So grab your apron and heat up your stove because it’s time to learn how to make the best shrimp scampi dish ever!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re a shrimp lover, then this homemade shrimp scampi recipe is something you wouldn’t want to miss. The rich and savory flavors of garlic, butter, and white wine, perfectly complement the tender and juicy medium-sized shrimp that are the highlights of the dish. Trust me; once you taste this recipe, there really is no going back.
What I love about this shrimp scampi recipe is that it’s effortless to make and perfect for any occasion. It’s quick enough to make on a busy weeknight, yet elegant enough to serve as a show-stopper at your next dinner party. With its velvety texture and depth of flavors, it pairs well with different side dishes and drinks, making it versatile and practical.
Another reason why you’ll fall in love with this recipe is that it’s customizable. You can adjust the seasonings, add toppings like grated parmesan cheese or red pepper flakes to spice things up, or experiment with different types of pasta to create your signature dish. And if you’re feeling adventurous, feel free to mix things up by substituting white wine for red wine or even adding some cream for an extra touch of richness.
This homemade shrimp scampi recipe not only satisfies your cravings but also impresses your guests with minimal effort. Whether you want to spoil yourself on a weeknight or enchant friends and family at gatherings, this classic recipe is guaranteed to leave everyone wanting more. Trust me; you won’t regret trying it out!
Here is a list of ingredients needed for this flavorful shrimp scampi recipe:
- 1 pound large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped parsley flakes
- Dried basil leaves
Optional Ingredients for a Twist
- Green onion
- Lemon wedges
All the ingredients can easily be found at your local grocery store or online.
The Recipe How-To
Now the fun part begins, let’s start cooking our Homemade Shrimp Scampi Recipe! Here is a step-by-step guide on making the best shrimp scampi that you will surely love.
Preparing the Shrimp
- Begin by preparing the shrimp. Clean and devein 1 pound of medium to large shrimp.
- Season with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and set aside.
Making the Scampi Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter with 2 tablespoons of olive oil divided.
- Add 4 large garlic cloves minced, and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of white wine and simmer for approximately two minutes or until it reduces to half.
- Insert the juice of half lemon, 3 tablespoons parsley flakes, and a pinch of red pepper flakes into the pan. Keep warm on low heat while cooking the shrimp.
Cooking the Shrimp
- In a large skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and wait for it to melt before adding in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Once hot enough, add the seasoned shrimp into the skillet, followed by another pinch of red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan as this will result in uneven cooking.
- Cook the shrimp for 3 to 4 minutes, turning them often until they’re pink and opaque.
- Remove from heat once fully cooked.
Final Stage: Combining the Shrimp with Scampi Sauce
- Add cooked shrimp into scampi sauce made earlier.
- Stir until all shrimps are well-coated with sauce.
- Serve hot over seafood pasta or just along with crusty bread.
- Garnish your dish with some extra fresh parsley leaves.
There you have it, your easy yet super delicious Homemade Shrimp Scampi Recipe at your table! Make sure to follow these steps carefully and choose only the best shrimp available for the recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
One of the greatest things about cooking is that you can always play around with ingredients to create variations and customize dishes to your desired taste. Shrimp scampi recipe is no exception. Here are some substitution and variation ideas that you may want to try out.
– White wine substitute: While white wine is the classic choice for shrimp scampi, you can also use chicken broth, seafood stock, or even a mixture of lemon juice and water instead of white wine. These substitutions will give a slightly different flavor profile, but they still work well.
– Jumbo shrimp: In this recipe, medium-sized shrimp is recommended, but you can absolutely use jumbo or large shrimp if you prefer. Just note that the cooking time may be slightly longer.
– Garlic butter substitute: Instead of making garlic butter, you could substitute with minced garlic and olive oil. Or if you don’t have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter but adjust the amount of salt added in the recipe.
– Spice level: If you like your shrimp scampi spicy, add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes while sautéing the garlic.
– Pasta pairing: Another option is to serve shrimp scampi with pasta. Cook any type of pasta according to package instructions and toss it with some olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Then top it off with your homemade shrimp scampi.
– Oven-baked shrimp scampi: For a hassle-free and easy way to make shrimp scampi, bake your shrimps in an oven-safe dish. Drizzle hot garlic butter over them then bake for 10 minutes at 400F.
– Tyler Florence’s take on Shrimp Scampi: Chef Tyler Florence uses heavy cream in his version of shrimp scampi to create a rich and creamy texture. If you have never tried this before, this variation is worth trying out.
– Olive Garden Shrimp Scampi hack: If going out to eat at Olive Garden sounds too expensive for you, try recreating their famous Shrimp Scampi dish at home by following this recipe which goes perfectly with garlic bread or a Caesar salad.
Whether you stick with the classic shrimp scampi recipe or opt for one of these substitutions and variations, make sure to taste as you go along so that you get it just right for your preferences.
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve made this delicious shrimp scampi recipe, it’s time to decide how to serve and pair it. I can offer several suggestions on how best to enjoy your culinary masterpiece.
Firstly, the shrimp scampi goes really well with pasta, such as spaghetti or linguine, and a side salad. This seafood pasta dish is one of my all-time favorites and brings out the flavors of the shrimp scampi’s garlic, butter, and white wine sauce. You can either cover the pasta in the sauce or serve it separately with some parmesan cheese on top.
Another fantastic way to serve this dish is with crusty bread or garlic bread. The bread soaks up the rich, flavorful sauce and complements the delicious shrimp. You also could serve it up as an appetizer by spooning it over small slices of toasted baguette.
If you’re looking for a wine pairing that complements this shrimp scampi recipe, go for a crisp white wine like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. They both have a light taste that pairs perfectly with the delicate flavors of the shrimp without overpowering them. Alternatively, opt for a Chardonnay if you’re looking for something more robust.
Lastly, if you want to switch things up a bit, serve your shrimp scampi alongside some roasted veggies such as carrots, broccoli or asparagus. The crisp greens harmonize well with the intense flavors of this dish, and enhance its overall visual appeal.
Whatever you choose to pair this mouth-watering shrimp scampi recipe with, be sure to savor every bite!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the best things about this shrimp scampi recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and stored for later use. So, if you’re planning to throw a party or have a busy week ahead, you can easily make the shrimp scampi in advance.
To make-ahead, prepare the shrimp scampi according to the recipe instructions and let it cool down to room temperature. Then transfer it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to three days. When ready to serve, simply reheat on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
If you want to store any leftovers after serving, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days. However, reheating leftovers may slightly affect the texture and flavor of the dish. To reheat leftovers, place them in a covered dish and heat them up in the oven at 350°F until heated through.
It’s worth noting that this shrimp scampi recipe is best served fresh as it features delicate flavors that may fade with time. However, if you need to prepare it ahead of time or store leftovers, follow these tips to retain its taste and quality.
Tips for Perfect Results
To create a perfect shrimp scampi dish, it takes more than just following the original recipe. Here are some tips that I find helpful to make sure you get the best shrimp scampi every time.
First and foremost, using fresh shrimp is key to achieving optimum flavors. Be sure to buy fresh, jumbo or large-sized shrimp that’s peeled and deveined. Frozen shrimp can be used, but always verify it’s 100% thawed before cooking.
When preparing your garlic, use a sharp knife to mince them finely. Garlicky shrimps are a classic dish where a little goes a long way. Too much garlic may overpower the delicate flavors of the sauce, so take caution not to add too much garlic into your recipe.
Another key factor to a successful scampi recipe is controlling the heat in cooking. Use medium-high heat when sautéing garlic and green onion for about 30 seconds before adding in the shrimp. Once you add the shrimp, make sure not to overcrowd the pan as it will lead to steaming rather than searing them. This technique will get that caramelized texture you want in your shrimps.
For extra juice and zest, add lemon juice to your broth or sauce while cooking for an added layer of flavor while shaking-up the ingredients in the saucepan.
Next on my list of tips is adding red pepper flakes or parsley flakes. The red pepper adds heat while parsley leaves add an earthy tone which complements olive oil and seafood beautifully. Dried basil or oregano can also achieve this effect.
Finally, don’t forget to add butter at various stages throughout cooking as it drizzles creamy emulsification that gives scampi its luxurious taste. Regular butter or unsalted butter adds sweetness and gives body while lemon garlic butter creates a zesty aroma perfect for seafood dishes like scampi.
By following these tips, you’ll end up with perfectly cooked homemade shrimp scampi – no need for expensive dinners out!
As a scribe for a home chef who loves throwing parties, I have received numerous inquiries about the Homemade Shrimp Scampi Recipe. Therefore, in this section, I will address the frequently asked questions and provide detailed answers to help you make the best shrimp scampi that guarantees to impress your guests.
What is shrimp scampi sauce made of?
Shrimp scampi is a timeless recipe that involves a sauce made with three simple ingredients – garlic, butter, and white wine. Personally, I prefer to add a touch of extra virgin olive oil to complement the butter for enhanced flavor without excess butter consumption. The classic recipe has been modified in countless ways to suit different preferences and tastes.
What Makes a scampi a scampi?
When it comes to seafood, scampi might be a term that sounds unfamiliar to many of us Americans. In Italy, it refers to a type of crustacean called langoustine, which is commonly found in Europe and is much larger than the shrimp that we typically consume. To prepare scampi the Italian way, it involves a fast cook in a mixture of garlic, butter, olive oil, and sometimes white wine.
What can I use instead of white wine in shrimp scampi?
Looking for an alternative to white wine in your shrimp scampi recipe? Consider using chicken broth or water as a suitable substitute. This can come in handy if you don’t have any white wine on hand or just want to make a non-alcoholic version of the dish. It’s important to note that the substitute may slightly alter the flavor profile of the dish, but it’s a handy solution nonetheless.
What is creamy scampi sauce made of?
Scampi sauce, the delightful combination of garlic butter and wine sauce, creates a versatile base for many savory dishes. From a simple yet satisfying dip to a heartier meal, scampi sauce adds an elevated flavor profile to any dish. One recipe that’s easy to whip up is a creamy lemony orzo mixed with this flavorful sauce. It’s a one pot wonder that will satisfy your taste buds and impress your guests. Whether you prefer it alone, with pasta, rice, or crusty bread, this dish is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
In conclusion, this homemade shrimp scampi recipe is an absolute must-try for any seafood lover out there. The dish comes together quickly and easily with minimal effort, yet yields restaurant-quality results that are sure to impress your guests.
The combination of succulent, buttery shrimp cooked in a rich scampi sauce made from a blend of extra virgin olive oil, garlic and white wine is simply unbeatable. Plus, the addition of lemon juice, red pepper flakes and parsley flakes adds a zesty kick that takes the dish up another level.
Whether you serve it with pasta or as a standalone entree, this recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not indulge in some classic shrimp scampi tonight? Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
Homemade Shrimp Scampi Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp, uncooked deveined peeled
- 1 medium green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated, if desired
- Use a 10-inch skillet, with oil heated over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and all of the remaining ingredients, except parmesan cheese.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until shrimp are just turning pink. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!