Firebirds Chicken Pasta is a dish that I have long considered to be the pinnacle of comfort food. This spicy and creamy chicken pasta recipe is perfect for a dinner party or just a simple weeknight meal. The succulent chicken breasts are grilled to perfection with a smoky chili rub and served over tender penne noodles that are swimming in a rich asiago cream sauce. With every bite, your taste buds will be tantalized by the savory blend of spices, cheese, and fresh herbs.
This recipe is a copycat version of the firebirds chicken pasta served at the famous Firebirds Wood Fired Grill. It has been perfected over time to ensure that it captures every ounce of flavor and texture found in the original dish. What makes this recipe so special is how easy it is to make, requiring only simple ingredients that most home cooks already have on hand.
So join me on this culinary adventure as we recreate one of the best chicken pasta recipes out there! Whether you’re hosting an intimate gathering with friends or simply enjoying a cozy night in with family, the Firebirds Chicken Pasta will quickly become an all-time favorite dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you in search of a dish that is not just easy to make but also tastes like it belongs in a fancy restaurant? Then look no further than Firebirds Chicken Pasta! This pasta recipe is inspired by the mouth-watering dish served at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill, and you can recreate its mouthwatering flavors at home with this copycat recipe.
What sets this dish apart from other pasta dishes is the delicate blend of spices that make for an unforgettable flavor profile. The creamy asiago cheese sauce pairs perfectly with juicy, spicy chicken that has been seasoned with a chili rub. The sharp taste of the asiago is softened by the addition of fresh basil, garlic, and shallots, making for a richly flavored sauce that takes this dish to the next level.
In addition, this recipe is versatile and customizable, allowing you to substitute or add ingredients as per your preferences. For instance, if you are a vegetarian or simply prefer not to eat meat then you can skip the chicken and still enjoy the same delicious pasta. Also, if you like your food to have a bit more heat, why not try adding some smoky chipotle paste to your sauce?
Whether you’re cooking for a dinner party or making it as part of your weekly meal plan, Firebirds Chicken Pasta is a surefire crowd pleaser that satisfies both taste and ease of preparation. Don’t miss out on the chance to impress your guests (or yourself) with this restaurant-worthy meal right in the comfort of your own home.
Firebirds Chicken Pasta (Copycat) Ingredient List:
- 9 oz. penne pasta, dry
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, minced
- 1 cup garlic, minced
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- optional: 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- optional: 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- optional: 2 green onions, sliced
All the ingredients are readily available at your nearest grocery store. This recipe is for a creamy, cheesy pasta dish with smoky chicken, Cajun seasoning, and a sprinkling of herbs. Let’s gather our ingredients and start cooking!
The Recipe How-To
Start by cooking the pasta according to its package instructions. Drain the pasta after cooking and set it aside.
Season the chicken breasts with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Grill them on medium-high heat until the juices run clear.
Slice the grilled chicken breasts into thin strips that you can easily mix with the pasta later.
Preparing Firebirds Chicken Pasta Sauce
Warm a large skillet over medium heat, then add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Sauté 1 minced garlic clove and 1 shallot (minced) in the skillet for about two minutes until they become fragrant.
Pour in 3 cups of heavy cream, 3 cups of white wine, and 1 cup of chicken stock into the skillet. Let it cook for five minutes or until it gets reduced to half.
Gradually stir in 2 cups of shaved asiago cheese, whisking constantly until the cheese has melted and blended well with other ingredients.
Once you have made a smooth cream sauce, fold in the previously sliced grilled chicken strips.
Preparing Bacon-Tomato Mixture
In another pan, cook using high heat, until crispy some bacon strips.
Add sliced tomatoes to the pan and stir them together for another minute or so until the tomatoes get soft.
Combining Everything Together
Add the cooked penne pasta to the skillet with chicken alfredo sauce. Stir them together using tongs until everything is evenly coated with sauce.
Add in the previously cooked bacon-tomato mixture, chopped fresh parsley, sliced green onions, and thinly sliced fresh basil leaves. Mix everything together one last time before serving immediately.
Congratulations! You have made your own Firebirds Chicken Pasta (Copycat) Recipe that taste just like your favorite restaurant’s recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
The Firebirds Chicken Pasta recipe is a delicious and savory dish that will surely impress your dinner guests. However, you may want to switch up some of the ingredients or add some variations to suit your personal taste. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Meat substitutions: If you’re not in the mood for chicken, you can try diced shrimp or sliced steak instead. You can also make it meatless by using mushrooms or roasted eggplant as a substitute.
– Pasta substitutions: The original recipe calls for penne pasta, but you can try using other types of pasta such as fusilli or rigatoni. Gluten-free? Use any gluten-free pasta that holds up well in a cream sauce.
– Cheese substitutions: If Asiago cheese isn’t your favorite, try swapping it out with Parmesan, Romano or Pecorino cheese instead. You could even try substituting smoked cheddar for a more smoky flavor.
– Sauce variations: With the addition of some extra spice from chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper, this dish could be turned into a spicy cajun chicken pasta. For a twist on the original yet keeping some classic flavors, use sun-dried tomato pesto sauce in place of the cream sauce.
– Vegetable options: Add spinach, broccoli florets or roasted red bell peppers for an added fresh spin.
These additions and swaps can customize your Firebirds Chicken Pasta meal without sacrificing its flavor and style.
Serving and Pairing
Firebirds Chicken Pasta is a delicious and comforting dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with different sides and drinks. The pasta’s rich and creamy sauce, tender chicken pieces, and crispy bacon bits make it perfect for a hearty dinner or a special occasion meal.
To complement the flavors of the dish, you can serve it with some garlic bread, buttered baguette slices, or parmesan crisps. These crunchy and garlicky options enhance the pasta’s flavors and textures while providing a contrast to its creamy sauce.
When it comes to pairing drinks, a robust red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah is an excellent choice for Firebirds Chicken Pasta. These wines have enough body and tannins to harmonize with the dish’s bold flavors and complement the savory notes of the grilled chicken.
Alternatively, if you prefer a lighter drink, you can try an off-dry white wine like Riesling or Chenin Blanc. These wines have a refreshing acidity that cuts through the creaminess of the sauce while balancing the spicy notes of the chili rub.
For non-alcoholic drinks, you can serve some freshly made lemonade, iced tea, or sparkling water with lemon slices. These drinks provide a refreshing contrast to the dryness of the wine while enhancing the pasta’s flavors.
In summary, Firebirds Chicken Pasta is a versatile dish that pairs well with different sides and drinks. Whether you prefer garlicky bread, robust reds, or refreshing lemonades, this pasta copycat recipe from Firebirds Wood Fired Grill is sure to delight your taste buds and satisfy your appetite.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re preparing for a party, and you want to get ahead in time, this Firebirds Chicken Pasta recipe can be made ahead, stored and reheated later. This means that you can cook up a big batch a day or two before the party and save yourself some stress on the actual day of the event.
To make ahead, cook the pasta according to package directions, then toss in a light coating of olive oil to prevent sticking. Store the pasta separately from the chicken and sauce. Refrigerate both in separate air-tight containers for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the pasta dish and sauce separately before combining them together.
When it comes to reheating your Firebirds Chicken Pasta dish, it is best to do so over low heat on the stove or in a microwave-safe dish. Be sure to add an extra drizzle of milk or cream when reheating as the pasta may absorb some of the liquid when stored. Satisfyingly, this dish tastes just as delicious reheated as it does fresh.
If meal prepping is your style, consider portioning out the pasta with chicken and sauce directly into individual-sized Tupperware containers. This makes them easy to grab for a quick lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Overall, this recipe is perfect for those planning ahead for a big party or wanting an easy meal prepping option for busy weekdays. By following these tips and tricks, you can confidently make-ahead, store and reheat this Firebirds Chicken Pasta dish without compromising its taste or texture.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve perfect results for this Firebirds Chicken Pasta recipe, there are a few tips and tricks that you should keep in mind. These tips will not only help you make the dish perfectly but also elevate the taste and presentation of the dish.
1. Season chicken breasts properly before grilling: before grilling the chicken, make sure to season it with kosher salt and black pepper. Grill the chicken over medium-high heat until its juices run clear.
2. Cook pasta as per package instructions: cook pasta according to the directions on the package until it’s al dente. Rinse with cold water to prevent it from getting sticky.
3. Use fresh ingredients: fresh ingredients such as garlic, basil, parsley are essential for enhancing the flavors of the dish.
4. Opt for high-quality ingredients: using high-quality olive oil, cheese, and wine will help improve the overall taste of the pasta.
5. Let the pasta sauce reduce: When making an asiago cream sauce, let it reduce a little longer than the recipe says to achieve a richer flavor.
6. Don’t overcook veggies: Overcooking vegetables can make them mushy and unappetizing. Make sure to cook them only until they are crisp-tender.
7. Adjust seasoning according to your taste buds: Before plating, adjust seasoning based on your preference to ensure that it suits your taste.
8. Garnish with herbs and cheese: Adding some chopped basil or parsley along with grated asiago cheese on top makes this dish look more elegant and appetizing.
By following these simple tips, you can easily create a restaurant-quality dish at home that everyone will love!
In conclusion, this Firebirds Chicken Pasta (Copycat) recipe is an excellent addition to your culinary skills. The recipe uses some of the most exceptional ingredients, and it is perfect for any occasion. Whether you are throwing a dinner party or simply having a cozy night in, this recipe is sure to delight your taste buds.
The steps are simple, and you can make substitutions and variations to suit your preferences. You can add or subtract spices depending on how hot or mild you want the dish. Additionally, you can opt-out of some ingredients if you have dietary restrictions.
The trick to perfecting this dish lies in following the instructions carefully, getting quality ingredients and putting in effort. With that being said, I guarantee that everyone who takes a bite of this pasta will be forever grateful that they tried it.
Now that you have learned how to make this dish at home, what are you waiting for? Grab a glass of white wine and whip up some Firebirds Chicken Pasta tonight. Your taste buds will thank you!
Firebirds Chicken Pasta (Copycat) Recipe
Chili Asiago Cheese Sauce
- 3/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chili, rub
- 1/3 cup garlic or 1/3 cup shallot
- 1 1/4 cups white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ounces roux
- 1 1/4 cups asiago cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup basil, rough chopped
- chicken pasta
- 4 ounces oil
- 1 cup rendered bacon
- 4 cups grilled chicken, cut into to small pieces
- 2 cups chili, asiago cream sauce
- 12 cups penne pasta, cooked
- 4 tablespoons green onions, Chopped
- 4 tablespoons tomatoes, Diced
- parsley, as desired
- Chili Asiago Cheese Sauce:
- Place the oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add the chili rub, garlic/shallots and cook until soft.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the heavy cream, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. With a mixer running on medium speed, add the roux, cheese and basil. (Make sure to add the roux a little at a time so that it will fully incorporate into the sauce.)
- Strain mixture.
- Chill until use.
- Chicken Pasta:
- Heat sauté pan and add olive oil.
- Add bacon and chicken and cook until hot.
- Add sauce and mix well.
- Add pasta and mix well.
- Cook until fully heated.
- Place in serving dishes and top with tomatoes and green onions.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!