There’s nothing quite like the aroma of chicken cooking in the oven, seeping through the air and making your mouth water. But not all chicken dishes are created equal. That’s where my golden chicken recipe comes in – a dish that combines elements from three of my all-time favourite chicken recipes: chicken curry, chicken tagine, and Southern-style smothered chicken. Trust me, this is a dish you’ll want in your meal repertoire.
The star of the show is annatto oil – a vibrant and flavoursome oil that provides both colour and a distinct zing to the dish. Add in bay leaves, Mexican oregano, and a dash of garlic powder for depth of flavour, and you’re well on your way to golden chicken perfection. Whether you’re a seasoned home cook or someone who’s only just starting to dabble in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress.
So fire up your oven or slow cooker, grab some boneless skinless chicken pieces or even a whole roasting chicken (the choice is yours!), and let’s make some magic happen with this Golden Chicken Recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old boring chicken dishes? Look no further than this Golden Chicken Recipe. Trust me, it’s not your average chicken recipe.
Firstly, this dish combines elements from three of my favorite chicken recipes – chicken curry, chicken tagine, and Southern style smothered chicken. The result is a flavorful and aromatic explosion that will leave your taste buds craving more.
Secondly, this recipe has options for both slow cooker and one-pot cooking methods. Whether you prefer to cook whole chickens or boneless skinless chicken pieces, this dish can be easily adapted to your preference.
And lastly, the use of annatto oil as a key ingredient is what sets this recipe apart from other golden chicken recipes. It not only adds a beautiful golden hue to the dish but also imparts a unique nutty flavor to the meat.
So if you’re looking for a versatile and exciting new chicken recipe to add to your repertoire, give this golden chicken recipe a try!
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to create this golden chicken recipe. Don’t worry, everything on this list can be easily found at your local grocery store.
For the Annatto Oil:
- 3 tablespoons annatto or vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
For the Chicken Marinade:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Chicken:
- 2 whole roasting chickens (or boneless, skinless chicken pieces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
You don’t need many ingredients to make this delicious dish, but the flavors work together perfectly to create a dish that will leave everyone wanting more.
The Recipe How-To
Now, the moment you have been waiting for: let’s get cooking! Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make the golden chicken recipe.
- One whole roasting chicken (about 4-5 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons of annatto oil
- 1 tablespoon of Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon of fresh ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Rub the chicken all over with annatto oil so that it turns a beautiful golden color when cooked.
- Combine the Mexican oregano, kosher salt, garlic powder, and fresh ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture all over the chicken, making sure to get it on both sides.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the bay leaves.
- Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan and cook for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
That’s it—you now have a delicious, mouth-watering golden chicken dish that will impress everyone at your dinner table!
Substitutions and Variations
You can experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create your own version of this golden chicken recipe. Here are some substitutions and variations that you can try:
– Instead of using roasting chickens or boneless skinless chicken pieces, you can cook whole chicken or chicken thighs for a more flavorful dish. Use the same seasoning mix for the chicken.
– For a slow cooker golden chicken, brown the chicken first in a large skillet or pot with annatto oil before transferring it to the slow cooker with bay leaves, garlic powder, Mexican oregano, and black pepper. Add 1/2 cup of chicken soup or water, cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
– Make a one-pot golden chicken rice by cooking the seasoned chicken in a pot with olive oil until golden brown, then remove from pot and add rice, onion, and garlic to cook until soft. Add water or chicken stock, bay leaves, and salt to taste. Bring to boil and add back the chicken; lower heat to simmer and cover pot tightly for 18-20 minutes.
– You can also mix golden chicken with cream of mushroom soup, soy sauce, black pepper, and low sodium cream of chicken soup for a creamy casserole dish. In a large mixing bowl, mix together chopped cooked golden chicken pieces with cooked egg noodles, frozen peas or mixed vegetables, grated cheese and soup mixture then bake in preheated oven at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
– If you’re looking for a more exotic twist to your golden chicken recipe, try adding curry powder or Moroccan spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric or saffron to create a delicious curry chicken tagine. You can also add lemon juice or preserved lemons for some tanginess.
With these suggestions, you can turn this timeless classic recipe into something uniquely yours! Don’t be afraid to experiment with ingredients – who knows? You might just discover your new favorite dish!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving a dish as versatile and flavorful as our Golden Chicken Recipe, the possibilities for pairing are endless. This dish is perfect for a family-style dinner, a backyard barbecue or even a fancy dinner party.
One classic way to serve this golden chicken is with a side of roasted vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and broccoli. The vibrant colors of the veggies complement the golden hues of the chicken, and together they make for a beautiful presentation on any table. If you like to keep things simple, you can also serve it with plain white rice or crusty bread to soak up all of the delicious juices.
Another fun way to serve this chicken is in small pieces alongside dips such as ranch or BBQ sauce. This is perfect for a casual get-together or even a game night with friends. You could also use it as the main protein in a salad, either cold or warm.
For those who enjoy wine, this dish pairs well with white varieties such as Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. If you’re more inclined toward red wine, choose something lightweight like Pinot Noir or Chianti that won’t overpower the complexity of flavors in the dish.
If beer is your preferred beverage pairing, try something crisp and light-bodied like a Pilsner or IPA. And don’t forget about cocktails! A refreshing gin and tonic or muddled fruit cocktail complements the bold flavors of our Golden Chicken perfectly.
In conclusion, there are many ways to serve and pair our Golden Chicken Recipe depending on your taste preferences and occasion. Whether it’s a comfort food-inspired meal or an elegant dinner party dish, this golden chicken is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
It’s always a plus when you can make a dish ahead of time to save yourself some stress on the day of the party. Lucky for you, this Golden Chicken Recipe can be prepped and stored ahead of time!
To make-ahead, simply follow the recipe up until the point where you put the chicken in the oven. Instead, cover the prepared dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
When it’s time to cook, let the dish sit out at room temperature for about 30 minutes before popping it into a preheated oven. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time if starting with cold chicken.
As for storing, this dish will keep well in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 4 days. To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the chicken in an oven-safe dish. Cover with aluminum foil and heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until warmed through.
Pro-tip: For faster reheating, cut any large pieces of chicken into smaller portions before storing leftovers. This will help them heat up more quickly and evenly.
Now that you know how easy it is to make-ahead and store this Golden Chicken Recipe, you can relax and enjoy your party knowing that one delicious dish is all set to go!
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients and steps to make the perfect Golden Chicken dish, it’s time to go over some tips that will help you achieve optimal results. These tips come from my personal experience and research, and they will help you master this recipe each time you make it.
1. Use quality ingredients
The flavor of your dish relies heavily on the quality of your ingredients. So always buy fresh chicken, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and genuine annatto oil. Don’t compromise on the ingredient list!
2. Season well
Seasoning is key to the success of this recipe. Make sure you use enough salt pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt, and Mexican oregano. The combination of these spices provides a depth of flavor to the chicken.
3. Sear boneless skinless chicken breasts before cooking them in the slow cooker
If you’re using boneless skinless chicken breasts for your golden chicken recipe, make sure to sear them in a large skillet before adding them to the slow cooker; this technique will make sure that each bite of your golden chicken is tender.
4. Let your chicken rest
After removing your golden chicken dish from the oven or slow cooker, let it rest for about ten minutes before cutting into it. This waiting period will allow the juices inside the chicken to redistribute evenly throughout each piece.
5. Add veggies for a complete meal
Adding vegetables like broccoli, green beans, asparagus, or carrots during cooking can bring more nutrition and flavor to your dish.
6. Serve with a sauce
A good sauce can make a difference in any dish! For example, use soy sauce in one pot golden chicken dish or golden mushroom soup for golden fried potato gratin or chicken schnitzel recipe.
By following these tips and tricks for perfect golden chicken every time, you’ll be amazed at how much more delicious and flavorful it will taste!
As you prepare to create your very own golden chicken recipe, you may have some questions or concerns. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Here are answers to some common questions that may arise during the cooking process. So let’s get started and clear up any confusion you might have before starting the cooking process.
What is a golden chicken?
Get ready for a flavor-packed chicken dish that I have created by combining some of my go-to chicken recipes. Drawing inspiration from chicken curry, chicken tagine, and a smothered chicken dish with influences from the Creole cuisine, this recipe is a winner! The chicken is braised in a rich and savory liquid that obtains its vibrant golden hue from turmeric and saffron. With a low-and-slow simmer, the dish is infused with a deliciously intense flavor, sure to impress your dinner guests.
How does Gordon Ramsay cook a whole chicken?
Alright, let’s get this party started with some juicy roasted chicken! Firstly, we need to preheat the oven to a toasty 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Once our heating buddy is ready, grab a large roasting tin and carefully place your chicken into it.
After 30 minutes of cooking, it’s time to add some extra flavor and moisture to our beloved bird. Take off the foil covering and gather the juices and marinade in the tin. Baste the chicken by spooning the liquid over it, making sure every inch is coated evenly. This step will not only give the chicken a tastier finish, but it will also help to keep it moist and succulent throughout.
When the oven buzzer rings, our cackling chicken is ready to come out and show off its deliciousness. But before we invite everyone to dig in, we want to make sure the chicken is fully cooked and the juices run clear. To do this, remove the tin from the oven and stir the liquid at the bottom, making sure all the sticky bits are released. Once everything’s looking good, our roasted chicken is ready to be presented and devoured by all our guests.
What seasoning goes well with chicken?
Spices can really elevate the flavor of chicken dishes, and two of my favorites are paprika and garlic powder. Paprika comes in various types such as sweet, hot, regular, and smoky, and it gives chicken a unique taste. Basil and rosemary are also great spices to use when seasoning chicken, as well as ginger and lemongrass, which add a delicious Asian-inspired flavor. If you’re looking to add some heat, turmeric and chili are a great combo, or try using coriander and cumin for a more earthy taste. The possibilities are endless!
How does Martha Stewart cook a whole chicken?
To prepare the chicken, I recommend crossing the legs and securing them together using kitchen twine, making sure to tie it tightly. Afterwards, spread softened butter evenly all over the chicken and sprinkle salt and pepper generously. Roast the chicken in the oven until its skin is a rich golden-brown hue and the juices run clear when pierced with a fork. This should take approximately 1 1/2 hours.
So there you have it folks, an amazing Golden Chicken Recipe that is sure to impress. This recipe combines the elements of three of my favorite chicken dishes: chicken curry, chicken tagine, and Southern-style smothered chicken. By following these simple steps and incorporating some of the recommended substitutions and variations, you’re guaranteed to create a dish that’s perfect for any occasion.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply cooking for your loved ones at home, this Golden Chicken Recipe will bring everyone together. The dish is versatile enough to be served with a variety of sides or complemented perfectly with a glass of your favorite wine.
So go ahead, give this recipe a try and taste for yourself why it’s become such a popular dish among my friends and family. With every bite, you’ll savor the golden brown perfection of the skinless chicken pieces coated in annatto oil, bay leaves, Mexican oregano, garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, and salt.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article on my Golden Chicken Recipe. I hope that it inspires you to create something truly special in your kitchen today!
A Golden Chicken Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 -2 tablespoon annatto oil
- In a small bowl, combine Mexican oregano, Kosher salt garlic powder and black pepper.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the spice mixture into the breast cavity and add 2 small bay leaves.
- Place the bird on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Brush skin well with annatto oil.
- Roast the chicken in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until juices run clear when pricked.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!