Spice up Your Meals with Cajun Tofu Salad
Welcome, food lovers! Today I’m presenting you with a dish that will surely blow your taste buds away – Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe. It’s a perfect mix of crunchy kale and spicy cajun tofu that is sure to make a lasting impression on anyone who tries it.
Eggland’s Best is known to be the best choice when it comes to eggs in any recipe, and this salad is no exception. Their large eggs are super healthy and packed with nutrients for our bodies. But what sets this recipe apart is how perfectly it compliments the other ingredients.
With our warm vegetable salad creamy cajun dressing, this dish goes beyond the typical Caesar salad or vegetable stir fry. With notes of thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, olive oil, tahini and many more spices, every bite promises to be an adventure in flavor.
So why not treat yourself to something special at your next dinner party or potluck? Keep reading to find out how easy it is to make this delicious Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you are looking for a super healthy recipe that’s packed with flavor and a little bit of a kick, then look no further than Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe. This recipe is the perfect combination of warm vegetables, creamy cajun dressing, and crispy baked tofu. Trust me, it’s a dish that is both indulgent and wholesome.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it features high-quality ingredients. We are talking about Eggland’s Best eggs, organic kale, and extra firm tofu. Eggland’s Best eggs are certainly the stars of the show here as they add richness, flavor, and nutrients to the dish. They contain less saturated fat, more vitamin D, and six times more vitamin E than ordinary eggs.
Another reason to love this recipe is that it is both vegetarian and vegan-friendly. The main protein in this dish is tofu, which can be substituted for chickpea tofu or fried tofu if you prefer something different. However, even if you are not vegetarian or vegan, you’ll find that this dish is incredibly satisfying without being heavy.
Lastly, this recipe is extremely versatile. You could serve it as a salad kit for your next party or as an entree on your restaurant menu. You can make it spicier or milder by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper used. You can also swap the kale for cilantro lime rice or quinoa to make it gluten-free.
All in all, Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe is designed to give you satiety without sacrificing flavor or health benefits. So go ahead and give this recipe a try today!
Here’s what you’ll need to whip up this Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad:
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Gingerroot, about 3 inches, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- Water, for thinning the dressing
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 1 package of extra-firm tofu, cut into cubes or triangles
- 5 oz. kale
- 6 large Eggland’s Best Organic Eggs
Some of these ingredients might already be in your pantry or fridge, while others may require a quick trip to the grocery store or local market. But don’t worry, every ingredient is essential and plays a major role in creating the bold flavors and textures of this salad recipe!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have the ingredients ready, let’s get started with the recipe! Please follow these step-by-step instructions on how to make a delicious Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad.
Step 1: Preparing the Tofu
Begin by cutting one block (16 oz) of extra firm tofu into small bite-sized pieces. Pat them dry using paper towels or a kitchen towel to absorb any excess water. Once dry, place them in a mixing bowl and add two tablespoons of Cajun seasoning, one teaspoon of garlic powder, one teaspoon of onion powder, one teaspoon of paprika, half teaspoon each of oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. Mix it thoroughly and keep it aside for marination.
Step 2: Baking the Tofu
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Take a baking tray and line it with parchment paper. Place the marinated tofu pieces on the tray so that they don’t touch each other. Bake it for about 20-25 minutes until they turn golden brown on the outside.
Step 3: Preparing the Dressing
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together three tablespoons of tahini paste, two tablespoons of olive oil, two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, half teaspoon each of garlic powder and ginger root juice, one tablespoon of warm water, and salt as per taste until you achieve a smooth texture.
Step 4: Making the Salad
While you wait for the tofu to bake, prepare the salad. Rinse and chop six cups of kale leaves into bite-sized pieces. Shred one medium-sized carrot using a grater or chop it into thin slices.
Step 5: Mixing Everything Together
In a large mixing bowl, combine the roasted tofu, chopped kale leaves, and shredded carrots. Pour in your prepared dressing mixture, gently toss everything together until it’s evenly coated.
Your Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad is now ready to serve!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to switch up this Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe, here are some substitutions and variations I recommend:
– Spices: While this recipe calls for a blend of thyme, oregano, onion powder, ground black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and sea salt, you could also try adding in some ginger root or using apple cider vinegar instead of the white wine vinegar for some extra dimension.
– Dressing: If you prefer a creamier salad dressing, you can swap out the vinegar and water for tahini and olive oil. Or if you enjoy a zesty tangy flavor with your salad greens, you might try making a cilantro lime dressing instead of the cajun spiced one.
– Protein: For vegetarians who don’t consume soy-based products like tofu, consider using chickpea tofu or fried tofu as a substitute to add some crispy texture. Furthermore, if you like baked salmon or diced chicken on top of your salads for an added protein boost, lightly season with blackened or cajun seasoning and grill until cooked through.
– Salad Greens: While kale is my favorite leafy green to use in this recipe because it holds up well with the creamy cajun dressing and crispy cajun-spiced tofu bites, quinoa, romaine lettuce or spinach could also work well as alternative substitutes.
In conclusion, feel free to adjust the ingredients or customize them according to your preference. After all, cooking is an art form that allows us to be creative and playful! Try different combinations of taste and texture that will surely enhance your epicurean experience.
Serving and Pairing
Once your Cajun tofu and kale salad has been tossed and dressed to perfection, it’s time to serve and enjoy! This dish is perfect for a healthy and satisfying lunch or as a side dish to complement your main course.
To elevate the dish, I recommend pairing it with a warm vegetable salad creamy cajun dressing or a hearty stir fry that has been seasoned with cilantro lime or cajun spices. If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, you can substitute the extra firm tofu with chickpea tofu or crispy fried tofu for an equally delicious flavor.
For those who love a classic Caesar salad, try this kale Caeser salad with grilled cajun tofu instead – you won’t be disappointed. The flavors of the blackened tofu and sauteed kale make up for all the healthiness, and the poached Eggland Best organic Large eggs add an extra boost of protein that will sustain you throughout the day.
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not experiment with different toppings such as roasted sweet potato, avocado slices or even crumbled feta cheese? The options are endless, and you can truly make this recipe your own!
No matter how you choose to serve this recipe, I guarantee it will impress your guests and become a regular on your party menu.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
When it comes to meal planning, being able to make a dish ahead of time, store it, and then reheat it later is a game-changer. Luckily, this Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad recipe can easily be prepped in advance!
To make this dish ahead of time, mix together the salad ingredients (minus the dressing) and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Keep the dressing separately in a sealed container.
When ready to serve, give the dressing a good shake and pour it over the salad. Toss and serve immediately.
If you have leftovers or want to make more of this delicious salad for later, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Note that the kale may become slightly wilted after a day or two, but it will still taste great.
To reheat this salad, simply place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for one minute. Alternatively, you can enjoy it cold straight from the refrigerator as a refreshing lunch or light dinner option.
I recommend serving this Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad alongside some crispy tofu or your favorite stir fry for a satisfying meal that’s packed with flavor and nutrition. Enjoy!
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want to achieve perfect results with this Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad, here are some valuable tips to follow.
Firstly, always use extra firm tofu. This type of tofu is denser and well-textured compared to regular tofu, which tends to break easily. When cooking the tofu, cut it into even size pieces to ensure they cook uniformly. Additionally, remove all excess water from the tofu by patting it dry with a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel before adding it to the salad.
Next, massage kale before adding it to your recipe. Kale can be strict and chewy when eaten raw, but massaging it with oil and vinegar or lemon juice for a couple of minutes will help break down its fibers, making it more tender and enjoyable to eat.
When grilling cajun tofu or sautéing kale in a pan, preheating the cooking surface is crucial for achieving that seared crispy crust. Make sure the pan or grill is hot enough before you start cooking. Use a thermometer to ensure your grill reaches 400°F before placing your Cajun spiced tofu on it for quick cooking.
Finally, season your dish in stages for maximum flavor impact. Incorporating spices such as thyme, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and onion powder at different times while cooking can enhance each level of flavor. Start by seasoning the extra-firm tofu with seasonings like cajun spice blend and paprika. After crisping up the tofu add additional toppings like salt and pepper. For perfectly seasoned kale salad tossed creamy cajun dressing made from tahini/olive oil/cider vinegar/ginger root/ garlic powder/cayenne pepper/ground black pepper/paprika add some dried fruits like cranberries or mangoes over top for an added hint of sweetness.
By following these tips consistently, you will undoubtedly get perfect results every time you make this delicious Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe.
In conclusion, Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe is the perfect choice for any vegan or vegetarian looking for a flavorful and healthy meal option. The combination of cajun seasoned tofu, fresh kale, and delicious dressing makes this dish not only super healthy but also enjoyable.
By following our recipe instructions, you will have a warm vegetable salad with cajun-spiced tofu that is creamy and delicious. Remember to get the best possible ingredients like Eggland’s Best Organic eggs and extra firm tofu for the best-tasting results.
This tofu kale salad recipe is versatile enough that you can experiment with different vegetables and seasonings to suit your taste. With essential protein from the tofu and nutrients from Kale, this dish offers excellent health benefits that you won’t get from fast food or processed foods.
Don’t miss out on this wonderful dish. Give it a try today, and you’ll see why it’s a must-have at any restaurant menu or home cooking. So what are you waiting for? View our recipe now to get started on your journey towards a super-healthy lifestyle!
Eggland’s Best Cajun Tofu and Kale Salad Recipe
- 2 bunches kale, ribs removed, roughly teared
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 cup carrot, matchsticks
- 2 Eggland’s Best eggs (Large)
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, for poaching the egg
For the creamy cajun dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 inch chunk gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon homemade cajun seasoning (If you use store-bought seasoning, start with 2 teaspoons. Add more if desired.)
For homemade cajun seasoning (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- Wrap up tofu with a few layers of paper towel in order to soak up the water from tofu. Let it sit for 15 minutes. If you find the paper towel is completely wet, remove and wrap tofu with dry paper towel again.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut tofu into 1-inch long cubes. Place tofu cubes on a slightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with 2 tsp cajun seasoning. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the tofu is baking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook kale in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Now, poach the Eggland's Best eggs. Pour 4 cups of water in a small saucepan and add 1 tbsp vinegar. (Vinegar helps the eggs to hold their shape.) Bring to a simmer.
- Crack eggs individually into a small cup. Create a whirlpool in the saucepan of water by using your wooden spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction. Slowly add each egg to the water in the center of the whirlpool (white first). Turn off the heat and allow to cook covered for four minutes. Remove with a wooden slotted spoon. Drain onto kitchen paper.
- In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Toss carrots in cooked kale. Place the vegetables in two plates evenly. Divide baked tofu in two portions. Top each plate with one portion.
- Drizzle 1/4 cup dressing on each plate. Place a poached egg in the middle. Sprinkle with a dash of cajun seasoning on the egg. Do the same with the other plate. Serve warm. Enjoy!
- Note: The homemade cajun seasoning recipe yields about 1 cup.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!