Are you looking for a way to take your boring chicken salad to the next level? Look no further than this delicious blackened chicken salad recipe! The combination of zesty cajun seasoning and fresh vegetables creates a dish that is sure to impress even the pickiest eaters.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can transform a plain chicken salad into something truly special. The bold flavors of cumin, oregano, and paprika pair perfectly with the tartness of cider vinegar and Dijon mustard, resulting in a taste that is both savory and tangy.
This versatile recipe can be served as a main course, on top of a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, or enjoyed as a hearty side dish at your next family gathering or potluck. Plus, with the option to use either full-fat or light mayonnaise, you can make this recipe as indulgent or healthy as you like.
Take your taste buds on an adventure with our Blackened Chicken Salad Recipe – this dish is sure to become a new staple for your meal rotation!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of your boring salad routine? Look no further than our Blackened Chicken Salad recipe.
Firstly, the blackened chicken adds flavor and spice to the dish without overwhelming it. The perfect blend of cumin powder, dried oregano, dried basil, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt make for a well-rounded flavor that will delight your taste buds.
Secondly, we’ve added extra virgin olive oil to our recipe to give a touch of healthy fats that are good for your heart. The inclusion of vegetables such as carrots, green onions, and red onions gives you a dose of essential vitamins and minerals.
Thirdly, we’ve included two types of dressings: cider vinegar and Dijon mustard dressing. These make for the perfect balance of tangy and creamy flavors that pair perfectly with the blackened chicken.
Lastly, this recipe is extremely versatile. You can substitute items such as sour cream with Greek yogurt for a more health-conscious option. You can also switch up the type of lettuce or add other vegetables to make it your own.
So what’s not to love about our Blackened Chicken Salad recipe? It’s flavorful, healthy, balanced, and versatile. Give it a try and impress your friends and family at your next dinner party.
– 2 teaspoons paprika
– 1 teaspoon dried basil
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
– ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– ½ teaspoon ground cumin
– 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 7 g/1 Tbsp of the Blackening Seasoning (see above)
– 8 cups sliced Romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-size pieces
– 2 cups shredded carrots
– 1 chopped red onion
– 3 green onions, thinly sliced
– 1 bell pepper, diced
– 2 cups diced cooked chicken
– ½ cup low-fat mayonnaise (or light mayonnaise)
– ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or wine vinegar)
– ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon honey
– Salt and black pepper to taste.
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the exciting part – making the Blackened Chicken Salad Recipe! Follow these step-by-step instructions to create the perfect meal for your next party.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided in half
- 3 tsp honey, divided in half
- 1 tsp blackened seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Seasoning the Chicken
First things first, let’s season the chicken. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder, basil (dried), and oregano (dried), as well as 1 teaspoon each of paprika and salt. Add in some cayenne pepper for a little heat. Rub the mixture onto both sides of the chicken breasts.
Step 2: Cooking the Chicken
Heat up a large skillet over medium heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add in the seasoned chicken breasts. Cook them for about 6 minutes each side, until they’re no longer pink in the center. Let them rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes. Then chop or slice them into bite-sized pieces.
Step 3: Preparing the Salad
In a large bowl, combine chopped romaine lettuce, red onion, shredded carrot, green onions, and red bell pepper. Mix them all together gently, so as not to bruise the lettuce leaves.
Step 4: Making the Dressing
In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together light mayonnaise, cider vinegar, dijon mustard, half of garlic powder (about 1/2 tsp), and half of honey (about 1.5 tsp). Drizzle it over the salad mixture and toss to coat everything evenly.
Step 5: Assembling Your Blackened Chicken Salad
Add your cooked chicken on top of your salad mixture. Sprinkle remaining garlic powder (1/2 tsp) and blackened seasoning over your chicken. Drizzle remaining honey (1.5 tsp) over your chicken as well. Gently toss everything together until you’ve got everything coated evenly.
And there you have it – your very own delicious and healthy Blackened Chicken Salad! Ready to serve at your next party or gathering!
Substitutions and Variations
While this blackened chicken salad recipe is absolutely delicious as is, there are several variations you can make to switch things up a bit.
– Chicken: instead of using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you could use chicken tenders or grilled chicken. You could also use tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian version.
– Cumin: if you’re not a fan of cumin powder, you can substitute it with curry powder for a different spice blend.
– Lettuce: the recipe calls for romaine lettuce, but you could use iceberg lettuce or mixed greens.
– Mayonnaise: if you prefer a lighter option, you can use light mayonnaise or substitute all of the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt.
– Fiesta salad: add black beans, corn, and avocado to give the salad a southwestern flair. Serve with tortilla chips on top for an extra crunch.
– Greek goddess salad: swap the Dijon mustard and cider vinegar for white wine vinegar and add feta cheese and olives to the mix.
– Quinoa salad: serve the blackened chicken on top of a bed of quinoa and chopped veggies for a protein-packed meal.
– Chicken caesar salad: add croutons and shaved parmesan cheese to the mix for a classic twist on this recipe.
Overall, this recipe is very versatile and allows for many ingredient substitutions based on your personal preferences. Be creative and try new ingredients!
Serving and Pairing
A good salad can make a meal feel light and refreshing, but blackened chicken salad takes things to the next level. The crisp greens of the chopped salad balance perfectly with the spiced chicken; every bite offers a phenomenal combination of flavors and textures. Here are a few ideas for how to serve this blackened chicken salad recipe.
– This salad is substantial enough to fill you up for lunch or dinner, but also works as a side dish paired with a soup or sandwich.
– If you prefer something more substantial, add some sliced avocado or hard-boiled egg on top of the salad.
– You can also serve this dish over a bed of quinoa or couscous to make it more filling and satisfying.
– A light-bodied red wine like Pinot Noir or a crisp white wine like Sauvignon Blanc pair well with this dish.
– If you prefer beer over wine, consider pairing this dish with a lager or pale ale; they both compliment the flavor of grilled chicken nicely.
– For non-alcoholic beverages, try iced tea, lemonade, or even kombucha. The acidity in these drinks helps to balance out the spiciness of the chicken.
This salad is so versatile that it mates easily with other main course dishes. Moreover, it can add flavors and nutrients to any meal which makes it one of my go-to recipes when I am in doubt about what to cook or serve.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Blackened Chicken Salad recipe is perfect for meal prepping because it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 day. The flavors actually meld together more deliciously as time goes on, which makes it an excellent dish to make ahead.
When storing your chicken salad, make sure to keep it in an airtight container to prevent any moisture from getting in and making it soggy. I recommend refrigerating the dressing separately so as to preserve the crispiness of your greens and other vegetables.
If you’re planning to pack it for a picnic or bring it to work, you can store each component separately (chicken, lettuce, veggies, dressing), bringing all the ingredients with you and assembling just before you eat.
To reheat blackened chicken salad, simply take out your chicken from refrigerator and set aside at room temperature for a few minutes. This will help reduce the cooling effect that will happen if the cold chicken interacts directly with hot oil on pan. Then I recommend reheating it in a skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil or butter until heated through (about 3-5 minutes).
Just like any other salad recipe, keep in mind that your greens may wilt with reheating. So If possible, just heat the chicken separately from everything else so everything remains fresh and crunchy.
Overall this recipe is perfect for batch cooking as it stores well and tastes great even after a few days. It’s an easy way to have healthy meals made ahead throughout the week.
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking chicken can sometimes be a daunting task, especially when it comes to getting the blackened texture just right. As your scribe, I have compiled some tips that will help you achieve perfect results for your Blackened Chicken Salad recipe.
1. Season Your Chicken Generously
It’s important to season the chicken thoroughly with the blackening spices for maximum flavor. Don’t be shy with the cumin powder, dried oregano, dried basil, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
2. Use a Cast Iron Skillet
A cast iron skillet is the ideal choice for cooking your boneless skinless chicken breasts because it distributes heat evenly which helps to give your chicken that beautiful blackened crust.
3. Get Your Pan Smoking Hot
To get the perfect texture on your chicken breast, make sure that your pan is smoking hot before adding your chicken breast. This will ensure that the outside is nicely seared while keeping the inside moist and tender.
4. Cook Chicken in Batches
Cooking too many pieces of chicken at once can cause overcrowding in the pan which will lead to steaming instead of searing. This will negatively impact the crispy texture of the outside of the chicken breast.
5. Let Your Chicken Rest
Before slicing or chopping your cooked chicken breast, allow it to rest for a few minutes to let its juices redistribute throughout the meat. This helps to keep your meat moist and juicy.
By following these simple yet effective tips, you’ll be able to cook up some perfectly seasoned and crisply textured blackened chicken breasts for your salad every time!
In conclusion, the Blackened Chicken Salad recipe is a must-try for any food lover out there. Its unique blend of spices and ingredients results in a flavorful and satisfying meal that will leave you feeling full and happy. This recipe is incredibly versatile, allowing room for personal preferences when it comes to substitutions and variations.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or looking to switch up your weeknight meal routine, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser that is sure to impress. The mixture of healthy ingredients also makes it an excellent option for those looking for nutritious meal ideas.
With the right preparation techniques and attention to detail, anyone can successfully create a delicious Blackened Chicken Salad that will impress their guests or family members. Whether you stick to the traditional recipe or put your spin on things with some creative substitutions, I encourage you to give this dish a try.
So tie those aprons on and get cooking. I am confident that once you take that first bite, your taste buds will thank you in ways you never thought possible!
Blackened Chicken Salad Recipe
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 6 green onions, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons blackening seasoning, mix (recipe below)
- blackening seasoning, : (Makes approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix all blackening seasoning ingredients together and set aside in a small bowl.
- Brush chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on both sides and season both sides with blackening seasoning.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Cook chicken on each side for 7 minutes. Place in preheated oven to finish cooking for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Dice cooled chicken and set aside, in a large bowl. To make the dressing: in a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard, set aside. Add the red onions, grated carrot and scallions to the diced chicken breast. Stir to combine. Pour dressing mix over chicken mix and stir to thoroughly combine. This can be eaten as a sandwich filling or on its own.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!