Food is not just food, it is an art. Cooking is like painting: every flavor is a brushstroke that helps to create the perfect masterpiece in every meal. And when it comes to throwing a party, what better way to steal the show than with a delectable and mouth-watering dish? That’s why I’m excited to share with you my Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe!
This dish has everything you want in a meal – it’s sweet, salty, tangy, and savory all at the same time. It’s the perfect combination of flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more. As someone who loves throwing parties, I know that presentation is everything, which is why this recipe incorporates the Crunchy Asian Slaw. It not only adds color to your table but also brings out the flavors in the caramel hickory chicken.
This recipe is perfect for when you are having guests over or even just a fancy night in. It’s easy to make and only requires basic ingredients found in most kitchens. With each bite of this delicious chicken, you’ll be transported to a world of flavor that’s impossible to resist. So let’s dive into this recipe and get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Calling all foodies and party animals! Get ready to try a recipe that will have your taste buds dancing with joy. I present to you – Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe.
This recipe is the perfect balance of flavors, textures, and aromas. Imagine moist and juicy boneless skinless chicken breasts infused with a smoky hickory flavor, drizzled with a sweet caramel sauce, seasoned with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. The result is a mouth-watering delight that looks as good as it tastes.
But wait, there’s more! This dish isn’t complete without the Crunchy Asian Slaw, which has an amazing combination of flavors – salty soy sauce, tangy rice vinegar, spicy red pepper flakes, sweet honey, savory peanut butter creates a complex taste that lingers in your mouth. Pair that with crispy green onions and satisfying cashews over crunchy cabbage slaw; what’s not to love?
One reason you’ll love this recipe is its versatility. You can make this dish for any occasion – it’s perfect for backyard barbecues or even date nights at home. The hickory chicken and Crunchy Asian slaw can also be used in other recipes or enjoyed separately.
Another reason why you’ll love this recipe is how easy it is to make. All you need are simple ingredients found in most supermarkets like Publix Aprons Simple Meals or Kona Grill Delivery menu. Cooking instructions are as simple as seasoning the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, drizzling oil on them, preheating your grill pan on medium-high heat for two to three minutes, then grilling them to perfection. Likewise, the Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe won’t disappoint. With Nadia Lim’s Thai Peanut Dressing and ginger peanut dressing sauces, your side will come together in no time.
Finally, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds but not your wallet! Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe is an affordable meal option when planning to cook for larger groups or even meal prepping during the week.
In conclusion, whether dining solo or serving a crowd, this versatile recipe hits all the right notes – from aromatic seasonings to complex flavors that drive pleasurable sensations. So go ahead and try my Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe; it will be worth every single bite!
Below is a list of all the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe, including the components for the caramel hickory chicken as well as the crunchy Asian slaw. All of these ingredients should be easily found at your local grocery store or supermarket.
For the Caramel Hickory Chicken:
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to season chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of caramel hickory barbecue sauce
For the Crunchy Asian Slaw:
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, cored and sliced thinly
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of chopped cashews
- Ginger peanut dressing;
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- Juice from half a lime
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have the ingredients ready, it’s time to get down to business. Here are the steps to cook the Caramel Hickory Chicken and make the Crunchy Asian Slaw:
For the Chicken:
Step 1: Season Chicken
- Begin by seasoning boneless skinless chicken breasts with kosher salt and pepper.
- Make sure to coat the chicken evenly.
Step 2: Drizzle Oil
- Drizzle canola oil on top of the chicken.
- Use your hands to spread the oil evenly across both sides.
Step 3: Wash Hands
- Make sure you wash your hands after handling raw chicken!
Step 4: Preheat Grill or Grill Pan
- Heat up your grill or grill pan at medium-high heat, around 2-3 minutes before cooking.
Step 5: Cook Chicken
- Place chicken on the grill or grill pan.
- Cook for around 3 minutes on each side until it starts to caramelize and develop grill marks.
Step 6:Cook with Caramel Sauce
- Brush or drizzle some of the caramel hickory sauce onto each side of the chicken while cooking, turning as you coat, to ensure even coverage. Cook for an additional minute until it becomes sticky and caramelizes further.
For the Crunchy Asian Slaw:
Step 1: Prepare Slaw
- In a large bowl, toss together thinly sliced green cabbage, red cabbage and grated carrots.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and sliced green onions.
Step 2: Prepare Ginger Peanut Dressing
- In another bowl whisk together rice vinegar, canola oil, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, ginger peanut dressing, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Step 3: Combine Slaw with dressing
- Drizzle over the prepared dressing and toss the slaw until it’s fully coated.
And there you have it! This recipe will take you roughly around 30 minutes from start to finish. Once you get familiar with this recipe, feel free to experiment with other ingredients such as cashews or peanuts, depending on your personal preference. The Caramel Hickory Chicken With Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe is a perfect choice for an Asian-inspired dinner party.
Substitutions and Variations
Looking to put a new spin on the classic caramel hickory chicken with crunchy Asian slaw recipe? There are plenty of ways to switch things up and tailor this recipe to your taste. Here are some variations and substitutions:
1. Different Proteins: This recipe can work well with pork, beef, or tofu instead of chicken. Adjust the cooking time accordingly for each protein.
2. Spicier Slaw: For those who love heat, add a dash of sriracha sauce to the ginger peanut dressing or sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
3. Cabbage Slaw: This recipe calls for an Asian-style slaw made with red and green cabbage, but you can experiment with other types of cabbage or leafy greens such as kale or arugula.
4. Nutty Twist: Add cashews, peanuts or almonds to your slaw for an extra crunch.
5. Alternative Dressings: If you prefer something other than ginger peanut dressing, try using a Thai peanut dressing, sesame ginger dressing or a traditional coleslaw dressing.
6. Grilled Vegetables: Accompany your caramel hickory chicken with grilled vegetables like eggplant, bell peppers and zucchini – it’s perfect for vegetarian guests.
Remember, the key is to have fun and make this dish your own!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing, the Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in many ways. One of the most classic ways to present this recipe is to serve the chicken on a bed of the crunchy Asian slaw, making sure to garnish with plenty of green onion for added texture and flavor.
For an elevated presentation, you can also try plating individual servings of chicken alongside small mounds of the slaw, drizzling with a generous amount of ginger peanut dressing. This option works especially well when hosting dinner parties or gatherings as it allows your guests to easily navigate their way through the varied textures and flavors.
In terms of pairing, this recipe pairs perfectly with light refreshing drinks such as beer or wine coolers. For beer lovers, we recommend trying a light lager, such as Kona Grill’s Delivery Menu. Or, if wine is more your thing, then opt for a light rosé wine that complements the Caramel Hickory Chicken without overpowering it.
For those looking for something more substantial, consider pairing this recipe with a side of jasmine rice or roasted vegetables. The savory flavor profile of the Caramel Hickory Chicken plays very well off the sweetness of roasted vegetables, creating a balanced and satisfying meal experience.
Overall, the Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe is a deliciously versatile dish that is perfect for both busy weeknights and fancier occasions alike. The different textures and flavors make for an exciting culinary experience no matter how you choose to serve and pair this dish.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Preparing meals ahead of time is a brilliant way to save time and energy without sacrificing quality. The Caramel Hickory Chicken With Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe offers many options for preparing and storing. You can cook the chicken one day ahead, shred it and refrigerate in an airtight container. The slaw can also be prepared the day before but make sure to add the dressing just before serving.
If you intend to store the chicken in the freezer for later use, place it in a resealable plastic bag or container, ensuring that all air is removed and seal securely. Label the container with the date of preparation and store in the freezer for up to three months.
When you’re ready to eat, defrost the chicken using either a microwave or leaving it overnight in the fridge, then heat it through either in a hot skillet or for about 2-3 minutes in the microwave. The Asian slaw can also be served as leftovers provided that it’s stored properly, preferably separately from other foods to prevent cross-contamination.
When reheating your food ensure it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Avoid overcooking as this can dry out and toughen both the chicken and vegetables. Enjoy your chilled caramel hickory chicken with crunchy Asian slaw straight from the fridge or reheating leftovers quickly for a tasty meal on busy weeknights.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure your Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw turns out spectacularly every time, here are some tips that can help you perfect the recipe:
1. Season the chicken well: Seasoning chicken breasts with salt and pepper before cooking is essential to get that perfectly balanced flavor. Be generous with seasoning, but don’t overdo it.
2. Let the chicken rest: Letting the cooked chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing prevents juices from flowing out and keeps the meat flavorful and juicy.
3. Grill on medium-high heat: Grilling boneless, skinless chicken breasts on medium-high heat gets them evenly cooked, tender, and juicy.
4. Use a non-stick grill pan: A non-stick grill pan makes grilling easy while imparting beautiful grill marks on the chicken.
5. Don’t overcook: Overcooking changes the texture of the chicken turning it dry and rubbery. Take care not to cook for too long.
6. Add caramel sauce gradually: Drizzle caramel sauce onto the chicken breasts in small batches before adding more as needed to avoid making it too sweet or overpowering.
7. Prepare slaw dressing ahead: Making dressing ahead of time enhances its flavor and ensures that you assemble a vibrant, loaded salad all year long.
8. Dress the slaw lightly: Pouring just enough Ginger Peanut Dressing over your Asian Slaw will help in keeping its crispiness and crunch without making it soggy or overdressed.
9. Use quality ingredients: It’s always great to use fresh, high-quality ingredients in any recipe you are making to achieve optimal results.
In conclusion, this Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe is a game changer when it comes to throwing parties. The combination of the sweet and savory flavors of the chicken with the crunchiness of the Asian slaw makes this dish irresistible. With the right ingredients and proper instructions, you can easily impress your guests with this dish that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Don’t forget to try out different variations and substitutions to make the dish your own. Whether you switch up the dressing or use different types of chicken, there are endless possibilities for making this recipe perfect for you and your guests.
Overall, this recipe is a must-try for any home chef who loves to throw parties. So get in the kitchen, turn on some music, and prepare to wow your guests with this delectable Caramel Hickory Chicken with Crunchy Asian Slaw recipe.
Caramel Hickory Chicken With Crunchy Asian Slaw Recipe
- 1 3/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup caramel-flavored topping
- 1/3 cup hickory barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Crunchy Asian Slaw
- 1 (12 ounce) container Asian salad kit (cabbage, toppings, and sesame dressing) (cabbage, toppings, and sesame dressing, cabbage, toppings, and sesame dressing)
- 1 (5 1/3 ounce) container plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup presliced green onion
- 1 (3 ounce) package oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles
- Caramel Hickory Chicken:
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil (wash hands). Preheat grill pan (or grill) on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Add chicken to grill pan; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover (with lid or loosely with foil); cook 4-5 more minutes on each side or until chicken is 165°F Whisk remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Brush sauce over chicken; cook 1 minute on each side to glaze chicken. Remove chicken from grill pan and brush with additional sauce. Slice chicken and serve with remaining sauce (on side for dipping).
- Nutritional Information: CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 340kcal; FAT 4.5g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 590mg; CARB 32g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 41g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 8%.
- Crunchy Asian Slaw:
- Whisk in salad bowl: dressing (from salad kit) and yogurt until blended. Add remaining salad kit ingredients and onions.
- Crush noodles in package using fingertips; add to salad mixture (omitting seasoning packet) and toss to coat. Cover and chill 10 minutes for flavors to blend. Serve.
- Nutritional Information: CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 160kcal; FAT 9g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 300mg; CARB 12g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 7g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 70%; CALC 8%; IRON 6%.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!