Tasty Red, White and Blue Potato Salad Recipe
Do you ever get tired of the same old boring potato salad? Are you looking for something unique and colorful to serve at your next summer BBQ or potluck? Look no further than this Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad – a vegan twist on a classic favorite.
This salad is not only visually stunning with its combination of red, white, and blue potatoes, but it’s also bursting with fresh flavors from the addition of crunchy radishes, sweet red bell peppers, and zesty Dijon mustard. Plus, it’s totally vegan and gluten-free, making it a crowd-pleaser for everyone at your gathering.
But don’t let the vibrant colors fool you – this dish is easy to make and can even be prepped ahead of time. With just a few simple steps and ingredients, you’ll have a mouthwatering potato salad ready to impress your guests in no time.
Trust me, once you try this Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad recipe, it will quickly become your new go-to for any summertime event. So let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a potato salad recipe that is full of flavor and color, then this Red, White and Blue Potato Salad is the perfect choice! This vegan potato salad recipe brings together the savory taste of tender potatoes, the freshness of veggies and the tanginess of Dijon mustard. Moreover, it is gluten-free and can be easily modified to suit any dietary needs.
What’s great about this recipe is that it doesn’t rely on traditional mayonnaise-based dressing. Instead, we use white wine vinegar mixed with extra virgin olive oil, Dijon mustard and salt, which gives it a refreshing taste that you won’t want to miss. Plus, the combination of red, white and blue potatoes adds an aesthetically pleasing element to your dish that will impress all of your guests at your next summer BBQ or picnic.
For those who are always on the lookout for healthy recipes without compromising on taste, this recipe has got you covered! We include wholesome ingredients like radishes, red onion and red bell pepper to add some crunch to your salad, as well as flat leaf parsley for a fresh herbal flavor. If you’re looking for some additional protein, simply add boiled eggs or a sprinkle of blue cheese.
Not only is this potato salad delicious on its own but also it pairs well with various main dishes such as grilled chicken or fish. So why not give this healthy vegan potato salad recipe a try? You will fall in love with its vivid colors, excellent texture and unbeatable taste!
Before diving in, it’s important to have all of your ingredients ready. Here’s what you will need:
For the salad:
- 2 lbs mixed small potatoes (red, yellow and purple)
- 1 lb small blue potatoes
- 1 lb small white potatoes
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- Handful of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
For the dressing:
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Sliced hard-boiled eggs
This recipe is fully vegan and gluten-free, but if you prefer, you could add a little crumbled blue cheese or sliced hard-boiled eggs for some extra creaminess and protein.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all the ingredients you need, it is time to start cooking! This recipe is very easy to make and doesn’t require any special equipment. Just a large pot, a mixing bowl and a few utensils will do.
Step 1: Boil the Potatoes
Boil 3 pounds of potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Once cooked, drain them well and let cool slightly.
Step 2: Chop the Vegetables
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients. Chop ½ cup of red onion, 1 red bell pepper, and 5-6 small radishes into bite-size pieces. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Make the Dressing
In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, ½ cup of white wine vinegar, and 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Season with ¾ teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper to taste. Set aside.
Step 4: Mix It Up!
Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into bite-sized pieces and add them to the mixing bowl with the chopped vegetables. Pour the dressing over the top and toss gently to coat everything evenly.
Step 5: Chill and Serve
Cover the potato salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour up to overnight to allow flavors to meld together. Just before serving, give the potato salad a final toss to redistribute the dressing and garnish with fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves.
And there you have it – a delicious red, white and blue potato salad recipe that everyone will love!
Substitutions and Variations
While this recipe is delicious as is, there are always ways to tweak it and make it your own. Here are a few substitution and variation ideas to get you started:
– Herb Substitutions: If you don’t have or like flat leaf parsley, you can try using other herbs like cilantro or chives for added freshness.
– Cheese Substitutions: Blue cheese lovers can rejoice in this recipe, but if you’re not a fan, you can substitute with feta or goat cheese for a tangy flavor.
– Potato Substitutions: While the blue potatoes give this dish its patriotic flare, feel free to mix it up with yellow, purple or red potatoes. You can even try fingerling potatoes for smaller bite-sized pieces.
– Dressing Variations: Not a fan of the creamy Greek yogurt horseradish dressing? No problem! You can dress the potato salad in a vinaigrette made with olive oil, Dijon mustard and white wine vinegar for a tangy kick.
– Vegan Variations: This potato salad recipe is already vegan-friendly, but if you’re looking to switch it up more, try using vegan mayo instead of Greek yogurt for the dressing.
Overall, the possibilities are endless when it comes to making this recipe your own. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredient combinations and let your taste buds guide you.
Serving and Pairing
This vegan Red, White and Blue Potato Salad is a perfect dish to serve at any occasion. The blue potato salad adds a pop of color and texture to your spread.
Pair this potato salad with grilled vegetables or raw veggies, depending on your taste preference, for a healthy and vibrant meal. The crunchy and refreshing flavors of radishes and bell peppers complement the creamy texture of the potatoes.
For a complete meal, serve this salad alongside grilled tofu or roasted chicken, which will bring out the flavors of the salad while keeping it flexible for any dietary restrictions.
It is recommended to serve this potato salad chilled or at room temperature, allowing all the flavors to meld together. This makes it a great make-ahead option if you are hosting a party or need to bring food to an event.
With its bold colors and satisfying flavors, this Red, White and Blue Potato Salad will bring life to any table setting, offering both taste and visual appeal.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
This Red, White and Blue Potato Salad recipe is perfect for making ahead of time if you’re planning to host a party or a barbecue. In fact, I recommend making it the night before your event so the flavors have plenty of time to meld together.
To store the salad, transfer it into an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. It’s best to serve the salad chilled, so make sure to take it out of the fridge about 15-20 minutes before serving.
If you have leftovers, fear not! This salad stores well in the refrigerator for up to three days. Before serving again, give it a good stir and taste for seasoning. If needed, add a pinch of salt, cracked black pepper or additional dressing ingredients to freshen it up.
When reheating the potato salad, use an oven or slow cooker instead of using a microwave to preserve its texture and flavor. Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Transfer the salad into an oven-safe dish and cover with foil. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
If you prefer using a slow cooker, grease the inside with cooking spray before adding your potato salad into it. Cover and cook on high for about 45-60 minutes or until heated through.
With these tips in mind, your Red, White and Blue Potato Salad recipe will be a hit at your party or barbecue – even if you make it ahead of time!
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure that your red, white and blue potato salad comes out looking and tasting great every time, there are a few tips and tricks you should keep in mind. Here are my recommendations for perfect results:
1. Cook the Potatoes Just Right: One of the most important aspects of making potato salad is cooking the potatoes correctly. You want them to be tender enough to eat but not too mushy to hold their shape. To achieve this, I recommend boiling the potatoes in salted water until they’re just cooked through, then immediately draining and cooling them.
2. Choose the Right Potatoes: When it comes to potato salad, not all potatoes are created equal. For this recipe, you’ll want to use a mix of blue, red and white potatoes to create a colorful and visually appealing dish. Blue potatoes have a slightly nutty flavor which complements the more traditional taste of red and white potatoes.
3. Add Crunchy Ingredients Last: To give your salad some texture, add crunchy ingredients such as radishes and bell peppers last. This will ensure that they stay crispy until serving time.
4. Don’t Overdress Your Salad: When making any kind of salad, including potato salad, you don’t want to drown your ingredients in dressing. Start by adding about half of what you think you need, mix well and then add more as needed.
5. Let It Chill: After assembling your salad, place it in the fridge for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
By following these tips, your red, white and blue potato salad will be a crowd-pleaser at your next dinner party or summer barbecue!
In conclusion, the Red, White and Blue Potato Salad (Vegan) recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves salads, potatoes, or throwing a great party. With a colorful mix of ingredients and a delicious yet simple dressing, it’s suitable for any occasion or season. It’s an excellent choice as a side dish for your Fourth of July barbecue, picnic or potluck party, especially if you’re looking for a vegan and gluten-free alternative to traditional potato salads.
Not only is this salad easy to make, but it’s also versatile and allows for substitutions and variations based on your dietary preferences or what’s in season. You can add or swap ingredients such as different colored potatoes, herbs, greens or even protein sources like hard-boiled eggs or grilled chicken. The possibilities are endless.
Furthermore, this recipe is not only tasty but also healthy. It’s high in fiber and potassium from the potatoes, vitamin C from the bell peppers and radishes, and healthy fats from the olive oil. You can even make it even healthier by using low-fat Greek yogurt instead of mayo in the dressing.
In conclusion, the Red, White and Blue Potato Salad (Vegan) recipe is an excellent example of how healthy food can be delicious and fun at the same time. So don’t hesitate to try this recipe today and let us know how it turns out! Whether you’re hosting a party or just want to enjoy a nutritious meal with your loved ones, this salad is sure to delight all taste buds.
Red, White and Blue Potato Salad (Vegan) Recipe
- 1 lb small red potato
- 1 lb small white potatoes
- 1 lb small blue potato (or purple)
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 small red onion, julienned
- 4 small radishes, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or plain distilled white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped (aka Italian parsley)
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Boil potatoes until softened. Drain, cool and cut into 1/2" rounds.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients except for the oil.
- Whisk in oil slowly (or use a food processor).
- Combine the potatoes, bell peppers, onions and radishes and gently toss with dressing.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with the remaining parsley and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat. Best eaten at room temperature.
- Servings are estimated.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!