Welcome to my kitchen! I’ve got a recipe for you today that will knock your socks off – a delicious, healthy lasagna that you can make without boiling the noodles beforehand. That’s right, you heard me – no more fussing with pots of boiling water, trying to keep the slippery noodles from sticking together. With this recipe, you’ll save time and hassle – while still enjoying all the delicious flavor and cheesy goodness of a traditional lasagna.
But why should you bother making lasagna at all? Maybe it seems like too much work, or like an indulgence that doesn’t fit with your healthy eating goals. But let me tell you – there’s nothing quite like a hearty, homemade lasagna to bring people together around the table. Whether it’s for a special occasion or just a weeknight dinner with your family, lasagna is a classic crowd-pleaser that never goes out of style.
And with this recipe, you can enjoy all the rich flavors and creamy cheeses of a traditional lasagna – but with some healthier substitutions and lower fat content. We’re using 1% fat cottage cheese and light mozzarella cheese, along with ground turkey or beef for some lean protein. It’s an easy but satisfying meal that won’t leave you feeling weighed down or guilty.
So get ready to roll up your sleeves and try out this amazing no-boil lasagna recipe for yourself. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Calling all lasagna lovers! Are you looking for a simple and healthy alternative to the traditional boil lasagna recipe? Look no further than this lower-fat version of everyone’s favorite Italian dish.
What makes this recipe stand out? First and foremost, you won’t need to boil the lasagna noodles. That’s right – by using oven-ready noodles, you’ll save time and energy without sacrificing any flavor. Plus, by using light mozzarella cheese and 1% fat cottage cheese in place of full-fat ricotta, you can indulge in this comfort food classic without the added guilt.
And let’s not forget about the flavorful combination of herbs and spices included. Garlic powder, dried parsley, and oregano add a delicious Italian twist to the dish, while tomato paste and water create a rich sauce that perfectly ties everything together.
Whether you’re a fan of beef or turkey, this recipe is easily customizable to fit your taste preferences. And for all my fellow vegetarians out there, don’t worry – you can easily swap in vegetables to make a tasty vegetable or spinach lasagna.
So whether you’re preparing an easy dinner for your family or looking to wow your guests at your next dinner party, this low-fat no-boil lasagna recipe is sure to satisfy your craving for comfort food without compromising on nutrition. Trust me – once you give it a try, it’ll become a staple in your meal rotation.
Here is a rundown of the ingredients you will need to make this healthy, no boil lasagna recipe:
- Lasagna noodles: You’ll need one 15 oz package of oven-ready or no-boil lasagna noodles for this recipe.
- Ground beef: Use 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey for a healthier version. If desired, you can also use Italian sausage for additional flavor.
- Onion: Use 1 medium onion that is finely chopped.
- Garlic powder: For added flavor and aroma, use 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Dried oregano and parsley: You’ll need 1 tsp each of dried oregano and parsley.
- Tomato paste and water: Combine 6 oz tomato paste with 1 1/2 cups hot water to make the sauce.
- Reduced-fat ricotta cheese and cottage cheese: Use 8 oz each of reduced-fat ricotta cheese and 1% fat cottage cheese.
- Fresh spinach: This adds color and nutrition to the dish.
- Mozzarella and parmesan cheese: Use about 4 oz of light mozzarella cheese and grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top of the lasagna layers.
With these simple ingredients, you can make a delicious, low-fat lasagna that everyone will love!
The Recipe How-To
Now, let’s get to the fun part – cooking! Here is how to make this no-boil lasagna recipe:
- 4 cups of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 lb of ground beef or ground turkey (whichever you prefer)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups of 1% fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups of shredded light mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef or turkey with the chopped onions. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the pasta sauce, water, garlic powder, and oregano to the skillet with the beef/turkey mixture. Stir well and simmer for about five minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, dried parsley, and mix well.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish, pour half a cup of meat sauce and spread it evenly over the bottom.
- Place four oven-ready lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce.
- Add another layer of meat sauce on top of the noodles.
- Spread one-third of the cheese mixture on top of the meat sauce.
- Repeat steps two through four two more times for a total of three layers.
- Finish with a final layer of meat sauce on top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional ten minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let stand for ten minutes before serving.
This recipe is perfect if you want to enjoy delicious homemade lasagna without having to boil lasagna noodles first! Feel free to experiment with different types of protein or add spinach or other veggies to make it your own healthy lasagne recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to this no-boil lasagna recipe, there are a lot of ingredient substitutions and variations you can make to tailor the dish to your preferences or dietary needs. Here are a few ideas:
For a vegetarian option, omit the ground beef or turkey and load up on vegetables instead. Consider onions, bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms for a flavorful and hearty lasagna.
If you’re looking for a lower carb version, use oven-ready or thinly sliced zucchini as a substitute for traditional noodles. You could also try using low-carb pasta alternatives like spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles.
To make the dish even healthier, try using fat-free cottage cheese instead of 1% fat cottage cheese or reduce the amount of cheese added. You could also use ground turkey breast instead of regular ground beef.
If you prefer a creamier texture, swap out some of the cottage cheese or ricotta cheese for an equal amount of light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
For an added kick of flavor, consider experimenting with different types of cheeses like feta or goat cheese. Or try mixing in herbs like basil, thyme, or rosemary.
Finally, if you want to get creative with your lasagna filling, consider adding in other ingredients like sauteed spinach, roasted eggplant, or even leftover roasted chicken. The options are endless!
Serving and Pairing
Once your no-boil lasagna is ready, it’s time to serve it up! I must say that this lasagna is a crowd-pleaser and always receives compliments. You can serve it as a side dish or as the main course, perfect for family dinners, potlucks or any events.
It tastes great on its own, but you can enhance its flavors by serving it with some complementary dishes. Some suggestions include garlic bread, green salad, Caesar salad, roasted vegetables or even some crusty bread.
Pairing the lasagna with a good wine can make it an unforgettable dining experience. A robust red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti or Zinfandel pair well with the rich tomato and cheese flavors of the dish. If you prefer white wine, go for a crisp Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc.
Lastly, don’t forget about dessert! Since this recipe has a lower fat content, give yourself permission to indulge in something sweet. Tiramisu or cheesecake would make for excellent options.
Enjoy your delicious and easy no-boil lasagna recipe with some fantastic sides and drink pairing options – this will elevate your meal to another level!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, let’s talk about make-ahead, storing, and reheating of our no-boil lasagna. This dish is perfect for making ahead of time because it actually tastes better when it sits overnight or even for a few days. This is because the noodles absorb the flavors from the sauce and cheese, which makes every bite even more delicious.
To make this recipe ahead of time, simply follow the recipe instructions but stop before baking it in the oven. When you get to that point, cover it tightly with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. You can keep it this way for up to three days before cooking.
When it’s time to serve your lasagna, take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes while you preheat your oven. Remove any coverings and add an extra layer of cheese on top if you’d like. Bake as directed until golden and bubbly.
If you have leftovers or just want to store some of the lasagna, wrap individual portions in foil or plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. The lasagna will keep well in this way for up to three months.
To reheat, you can either thaw a portion overnight in the refrigerator or heat a frozen one directly from the freezer. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 375°F and bake the lasagna covered with foil until heated through. You can also use a microwave if you prefer a quicker option, but the texture won’t be as crispy as when reheated in the oven.
Pro tip: If you’re like me and always busy, consider making a double batch so that you can freeze even more portions for those times when you don’t have time to cook. Trust me; you’ll be glad you did!
Tips for Perfect Results
Making a delicious and healthy lasagna is easier than you think. Here are some tips to ensure that your no-boil lasagna turns out perfectly every time:
1. Use fresh ingredients: Fresh vegetables and herbs will give your lasagna a vibrant flavor that cannot be replicated with canned or frozen ingredients.
2. Make sure the noodles are fully covered with sauce: This will prevent the exposed parts from becoming hard and crunchy.
3. Use a blend of cheeses: A mixture of light mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and reduced-fat ricotta cheese will add a depth of flavor to your lasagna.
4. Season generously: Lasagna needs lots of seasoning to bring out the flavors in the ingredients.
5. Drain excess liquid: If you use too much sauce or vegetables, it can make your lasagna watery. Drain any excess liquid before assembling your dish.
6. Layer correctly: Start with the sauce, then add the noodles, followed by the cheeses and vegetables, then repeat this process until you reach the top layer.
7. Cover with foil: Foil helps lock in moisture while baking and prevents the cheese from burning.
8. Let it rest after cooking: Letting your lasagna rest for 10-15 minutes allows for easier slicing and serving, as well as letting flavors meld together.
By following these simple tips, you can make a delicious no-boil lasagna that is both healthy and irresistible!
Before we wrap up, let’s take a look at some frequently asked questions that may come up while making this no-boil lasagna recipe. These questions cover everything from ingredient substitutions to cooking times, so read on to ensure that your lasagna turns out perfectly every time.
Can you bake regular lasagna noodles without boiling?
Looking for a hassle-free way to make the perfect lasagna? I’ve got you covered with this no-boil lasagna recipe! Say goodbye to the extra step of boiling lasagna noodles before baking. Instead, simply layer uncooked, regular lasagna noodles with sauce, ricotta, spinach, and cheese. As it cooks, the noodles will absorb moisture from the other ingredients, resulting in a tender and flavorful dish. Get ready to impress your guests with your newfound lasagna skills!
Can you soak regular lasagna noodles instead of boiling?
Hey party people, here’s a cool hack for making lasagna noodles that will save you time and get you compliments on the dish. Instead of boiling the noodles, you just need to soak them in hot water for 20 minutes. By doing this, the noodles will cook faster in the oven and won’t turn out too dry or too hard. This hack doesn’t add any extra time to the recipe since you can do the soaking while the sauce is simmering. Trust me on this one, your lasagna will be the talk of the party.
Does no-boil lasagna work?
When it comes to making lasagna, skipping the step of boiling the noodles doesn’t only save you time but also enhances the overall taste of your dish. The no-boil lasagna noodles are surprisingly more delicious than the traditional kind that requires precooking.
Is cottage cheese healthier than ricotta?
When comparing cottage cheese and ricotta cheese, it is important to note that the latter contains more calcium, selenium, and essential vitamins such as A, E, D, and B2. Additionally, ricotta cheese is a better option for those following a low-carb diet, as it has a significantly lower carbohydrates content than cottage cheese. This differentiation in nutritional benefits between the two can make ricotta cheese a healthier alternative for some individuals.
In conclusion, this no-boil lasagna recipe is a game-changer for anyone who loves lasagna but hates the hassle of boiling noodles. With its healthier ingredients and easy preparation, it’s the perfect meal for busy weeknights or hosting a dinner party without sacrificing taste or quality.
I highly recommend giving this recipe a try and experimenting with different variations to find your perfect combination. Impress your guests with a homemade vegetable or vegetarian lasagna or add some heat with spicy Italian sausage. The possibilities are endless!
So ditch the traditional boiling method and try out this easy, healthy, and delicious no-boil lasagna recipe today. Trust me; you won’t regret it!
No Boil Lasagna-Lower Fat Recipe
- 4 ounces creamette lasagna noodles (8 noodles)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 26 ounces hunt's garlic and herb spaghetti sauce (1 large can)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 16 ounces 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups light mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground beef in skillet, drain.
- Add spaghetti sauce, paste, oregano, garlic powder and water. Stir until tomato paste is mixed. Keep on low heat.
- In a med. bowl combine the cottage cheese, parsley, parmesean and egg white. Stir well.
- Once the sauce just begins to boil, remove from heat.
- In a 9 x12 baking pan, spoon in 1 cup of sauce mix, on top of that put 4 uncooked lasagna noodles (possibly 3 horizontal and 1 vertical). You do not need to make the noodles touch as they will expand while cooking.
- Next spread 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Spoon 1/2 the remaining sauce over the cheese then layer the next 4 noodles. Put the rest of the cheese mixture and mozzarella cheese then on top of that spread out the remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees or until the middle of the pan just begins to bubble.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!