Come close, my fellow foodie, and let me introduce you to a dish that will make your taste buds sing! I present to you the Low Fat Chickpea Salad, a kosher-pareve recipe that is as delicious as it is healthy. This mouth-watering vegan and vegetarian-friendly recipe is the perfect addition to any meal. Not only is it easy to prepare, but it also packs a flavor punch that will truly knock your socks off.
Imagine tender chickpeas, crisp cucumbers, and fresh parsley all mixed together with a tangy dressing made from fresh lemon juice and olive oil. This salad combines the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors and will leave you feeling satisfied and refreshed. And let’s not forget to mention that this recipe is low in fat, making it perfect for anyone looking for a healthier option.
Plus, whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for an everyday dish, this low-fat chickpea salad will surely impress! So get ready to impress your friends and family with this incredible dish that will have everyone wanting seconds.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Picture this: you’re hosting a summer gathering with your friends and family, and you want to impress them with your cooking skills without going overboard on calories. Introducing the Low Fat Chickpea Salad (Kosher-Pareve) Recipe – the ultimate crowd-pleaser that will leave everyone begging for the recipe.
Why should you love this recipe? Let me count the ways. First and foremost, it’s low in fat and calories, making it perfect for those who are watching their waistline. But don’t let that fool you – this salad packs a punch of flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
Made with fresh lemon juice, olive oil, dill, parsley, red onions, garlic clove, chives, and of course, chickpeas and cucumbers, this salad is a refreshing and healthy take on traditional party foods. It’s also 100% kosher pareve, making it suitable for those with dietary restrictions.
But what really sets this chickpea salad apart from other salads is its versatility. You can easily swap out ingredients or add your own twist to make it your own. Want to add some beets for some extra color? Go ahead! Want to make it oil-free? Just skip the olive oil – it’ll still be delicious.
So whether you’re looking for a healthy option to bring to your next potluck or just want something quick and easy for dinner tonight, give this Low Fat Chickpea Salad (Kosher-Pareve) Recipe a try. Trust me – your taste buds (and waistline) will thank you!
Let’s get started with the ingredient list for this low fat chickpea salad. You’ll find the complete measurements and instructions below.
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained
- 1 red onion, diced
- 100 g cucumbers, peeled, cut into small cubes (I prefer jade)
- 1 ½ long skinny ones or one regular cucumber (~900 g)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bunch chopped dill
- ½ a bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
- A handful of chives, snipped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Substitutions and Modifications
If you’re looking for a lower calorie version, skip the olive oil – use water instead! You can also omit the red onion and replace with beets.
To make this recipe gluten-free, use einkorn flour that is USDA certified organic, vegan, vegetarian and kosher pareve.
Stay tuned for the next section where I will walk you through how to put all these ingredients together to make a delicious low fat chickpea salad!
The Recipe How-To
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Step 1: Prepare the Chickpeas
First, drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas. Make sure to remove the excess water by draining them properly.
Step 2: Chop the Vegetables
Take one red onion and finely chop it. Tip: Soak it in cold water for a few minutes before chopping to reduce its sharpness.
Next, take one medium-sized cucumber, peel it, and cut it into small cubes. I prefer using Jade cucumbers as they have fewer seeds and are crispier.
Step 3: Mix and Toss All the Ingredients Together!
In a large bowl, mix together the chickpeas, chopped red onion, cubed cucumber, ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, and ¼ cup chopped fresh chives.
Step 4: Dressing the Salad
Now, it’s time to dress up this salad with the right flavors! To make a simple vinaigrette dressing, combine ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice and ¼ cup of olive oil in a separate small mixing bowl. Add some salt and pepper as per your taste preference.
Pour this dressing over the salad mixture in the large bowl. Toss well until all ingredients are coated evenly.
Enjoy Your Low-fat Chickpea Salad!
Your refreshing, low-fat chickpea salad is now ready to serve! You can add additional ingredients like roasted chickpeas or za’atar-roasted tomatoes to add more texture and flavor to your dish. Serve chilled or at room temperature with beets or any other plant-based dish you enjoy! This salad is not only delicious but also oil-free and high in protein making it a great choice for a healthy meal option.
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making variations of this low fat chickpea salad recipe, the possibilities are truly endless. Here are some swaps and substitutions that I recommend trying out:
– For a different type of legume, try swapping the chickpeas for black beans, lentils or kidney beans.
– If you’re not a fan of dill, you can substitute it with other fresh herbs such as cilantro or basil.
– Switch up the vegetables! While cucumbers are a classic choice for this recipe, you could also add chopped bell peppers, cherry tomatoes or shredded carrots.
– Spice things up by adding in some chopped jalapeños or red pepper flakes to the dressing.
– For an extra boost of flavor and nutrition, consider adding some additional ingredients such as crumbled feta cheese, avocado or roasted beets.
– If you’re looking for a completely different spin on this recipe, try making it oil-free! Instead of using olive oil in the dressing, swap it out for apple cider vinegar mixed with a touch of honey and mustard.
No matter which substitutions or variations you choose to make, remember to always taste-test as you go and adjust seasonings to your liking. With these ideas in mind, you’ll never get bored of this delicious low fat chickpea salad.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this low fat chickpea salad, the possibilities are endless. This refreshing and colorful salad is perfect for any occasion, whether you are hosting a healthy lunch, potluck, or just need a quick bite.
You can serve this salad as a main dish or a side dish. As a main dish, this salad is satisfying and filling thanks to the high protein content of chickpeas. You can also pair it with some grilled chicken or fish for a complete meal.
As a side dish, this salad goes well with various dishes. You can pair it with grilled vegetables, such as zucchini, eggplant, or bell pepper, for a vegetable-packed meal. Or you can add some crunch by serving it with some toasted pita bread or crackers.
If you want to make the presentation of this salad more eye-catching, try serving it in an attractive bowl or platter. You can also top it with some fresh herbs like dill or parsley for added color and flavor.
This low fat chickpea salad is versatile enough to complement any cuisine. Consider pairing it with other Middle Eastern favorites like hummus or baba ghanoush for a Mediterranean feast. Or serve it alongside your favorite Indian curry for an aromatic fusion meal.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair your low fat chickpea salad, one thing is certain – it will delight your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied yet light.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Ah, the joy of leftovers. In my experience, many dishes taste even better on the second day. The Low Fat Chickpea Salad is no exception. This salad can be easily made ahead of time and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply take it out of the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before enjoying. If you prefer it warmed up, gently warm it in the microwave or on the stove with a tablespoon of water to prevent it from drying out.
However, keep in mind that since this recipe contains fresh vegetables like cucumbers and parsley, it may lose some of its freshness after reheating. To compensate for this, you can add some extra fresh veggies on top before serving to liven it up.
This salad is also an excellent candidate for meal-prepping. You can make a large batch on Sunday and portion out servings for the week ahead. It’s a quick and healthy lunch option that will keep you energized throughout your day.
If you’re not planning on finishing the entire recipe within 3 days, feel free to freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Just remember to defrost it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Ultimately, this recipe is versatile and easy to store. So go ahead and whip up a batch ahead of time – your future self will thank you!
Tips for Perfect Results
Cooking is all about experimentation and finding what works best for you, but that doesn’t mean we can’t benefit from some helpful tips to make our dishes even more delicious. So here are a few tips to make your low fat chickpea salad turn out perfectly every time!
1. Use fresh lemon juice: Squeezing fresh lemons instead of using pre-packaged lemon juice will give your chickpea salad that extra burst of flavor that makes all the difference.
2. Be generous with the herbs: Dill, parsley, and chives add an incredible amount of flavor to this salad, so don’t be afraid to use a lot!
3. Take your time chopping: Cutting your cucumbers and red onions into small, uniform cubes will not only make your salad look beautiful but also ensure that every bite has the perfect amount of crunchy vegetables.
4. Rinse and drain your canned chickpeas: Rinsing and draining canned chickpeas can remove any excess salt or preservatives and help maintain their texture in the salad.
5. Add a spicy kick: If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some diced spicy tomatoes to your salad for an extra kick of flavor.
6. Experiment with za’atar seasoning: Sprinkling za’atar roasted chickpeas on top of your salad can give it an added depth of flavor and a satisfying crunch.
7. Keep it chilled: Before serving, refrigerate your salad for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
By following these simple tips, you can elevate your low-fat chickpea salad game and impress all of your guests at your next party!
In conclusion, this low-fat chickpea salad recipe is not only delicious but also perfect for those who are health-conscious and following a kosher diet. With its fresh lemon juice, olive oil, dill, parsley, red onions, garlic cloves, and chives, this salad is full of flavor and packed with nutrients.
It’s a versatile dish that can be served as a side or main course and can be customized to suit your preferences by adding substitutions or variations. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be stored in the fridge for several days.
By using fresh ingredients like cucumbers and canned chickpeas, this salad is not only budget-friendly but also an excellent source of protein and fiber. And with its low-calorie count, it’s the perfect option for those watching their weight.
So why not try making this low-fat chickpea salad for your next party or gathering? It’s sure to be a hit among guests and a healthy delight for yourself. Trust me; you won’t regret it!
Low Fat Chickpea Salad (Kosher-Pareve) Recipe
- 100 g cucumbers, not peeled, cut into small cubes (I prefer Jade - 1/2 of the long skinny one)
- 900 g chickpeas (2 cans, drained)
- 150 g red peppers, 1 medium cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 85 g red onions, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1/8 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup dill, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (good quality)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and black pepper, as desired
- Mix all and serve in room temperature or chilled.
- That's it!
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!