Are you looking to spice up your lunch routine? Look no further than this curried chicken salad recipe. This recipe is a personal favorite of mine and always impresses my guests at parties. The combination of creamy mayonnaise, curry powder, juicy grapes, and crunchy walnuts creates a flavor explosion in each bite. Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make, even for those who aren’t confident in the kitchen. Don’t believe me? Follow along with this recipe article and see for yourself why this curried chicken salad is the ultimate lunchtime showstopper.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of the same old boring chicken salad recipe? If so, let me introduce you to my delicious curried chicken salad recipe. Trust me, once you try it, you’ll fall in love with it.
The mixture of savory and sweet flavors will burst in your mouth with every bite. The curry powder adds a unique spicy kick that complements the creaminess of the mayonnaise and half-and-half cream. The apples, oranges, raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, peanuts, and red seedless grapes create a perfect blend of sweet and crunchy textures.
This chicken salad recipe is perfect for any occasion from a simple lunch to an elegant dinner party. It’s light but filling and can be served as a sandwich or on top of a bed of greens.
Not only is this curried chicken salad delicious, but it’s also easy to make with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. So why not switch up your regular chicken salad with this flavorful twist? Your taste buds will thank you for it.
To make this flavorful curried chicken salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 cooked chicken breasts – skinless, boneless, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup of mayonnaise – regular or light
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half cream
- 4 tsp of curry powder – for a perfect curry taste
- 2 tsp of lemon juice – to balance sweetness
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 red apple, diced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 orange, peeled and segmented
- 1 cup of red seedless grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 2 celery ribs, diced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped (or peanuts)
Make sure to use fresh ingredients for the best taste possible. You can find most of these items at your local grocery store.
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients for this Delicious Curried Chicken Salad Recipe, it’s time to bring them all together. Follow these easy steps to make a really tasty curried chicken salad.
Step 1: Prep the Chicken
Firstly, cook your chicken breasts to perfection. You can use an oven or stove-top technique depending on what is available. I like to season my chicken breasts with garlic powder and a bit of salt before cooking them. Once cooked, allow the chicken to rest for about 5-10 minutes then shred into small bite-size pieces.
Step 2: Make the Dressing
In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, half-and-half cream, and curry powder. Feel free to adjust the amount of curry powder based on your preference. Once combined, add freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Add Fruits and Nuts
Now it’s time to add in the fruits and nuts to give the salad some texture and sweetness. Throw in some diced apples, fresh segments of orange, crunchy walnuts and peanuts, juicy red seedless grapes, raisins, and dried cranberries.
Step 4: Combine Everything Together
In a separate large bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, fruit-nut mix, and sliced celery ribs. Gradually stir in the dressing until everything is thoroughly coated.
Step 5: Serve Your Delicious Curried Chicken Salad!
Your easy curried chicken salad is ready to be enjoyed! Serve it at your next family dinner or backyard BBQ; it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Don’t forget to keep any leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. This salad should last 2-3 days if stored properly.
Substitutions and Variations
There are many ways to put your own spin on this tasty curried chicken salad recipe. Here are a few substitutions and variations to consider:
– Mayonnaise: Swap out the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt or sour cream if you’re looking for a lighter option. You can also use a combination of mayo and yogurt or sour cream for a creamy texture with added tanginess.
– Chicken: Use shredded rotisserie chicken if you’re short on time, or grilled chicken breast for an extra smoky flavor. You could also try using tofu or chickpeas for a vegetarian version.
– Fruits and nuts: Don’t be afraid to mix and match fruits and nuts in this chicken salad. Try using chopped mango, pineapple, or papaya instead of apples or oranges. Cashews, almonds, or pecans would work well in place of walnuts or peanuts.
– Curry powder: If you don’t have curry powder on hand, you can make your own by combining coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, mustard seeds, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Adjust the amounts to taste.
– Dressing: For a sweeter twist on this recipe, add 1-2 tablespoons of honey to the dressing mixture. You can also experiment with adding other ingredients like mango chutney or curry paste.
Remember that cooking is all about experimentation and personal taste. Don’t be afraid to try something new or change up ingredients based on what you have available. Enjoy!
Serving and Pairing
This curried chicken salad is a versatile dish that can be served in a variety of ways. It pairs well with a range of sides and complements any meal perfectly. Here are some serving and pairing recommendations to make the most out of this dish:
– Serve it on a bed of lettuce: A simple way to elevate this dish is by placing the chicken salad over lettuce leaves. This will add more texture and freshness to your meal.
– Pair it with bread or crackers: This curried chicken salad is perfect for sandwiches or topped on crackers for an afternoon snack.
– Serve as an appetizer: If you are throwing a party, scoop the chicken salad mixture into small phyllo cups for finger food that won’t disappoint.
– Pair with fruit platters: This dish goes well with fresh fruit such as sliced apples or grapes, which will bring out the sweetness in the chicken salad.
– Make it a lunchbox staple: Pack this yummy salad in a bento box with crackers or slices of bread, plus some fruit and veggies on the side for a healthy lunch-on-the-go.
Remember that you can always rely on your creativity to come up with new ideas on how to serve this curried chicken salad recipe. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different pairings and serving methods – sometimes it’s those unexpected combinations that end up being the best!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Once you’ve prepared this Curried Chicken Salad Recipe, it’s essential to know how to store and reheat it. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time, and it will still taste great! It doesn’t matter if you’re making this dish for a party, a family dinner or meal prep for work: you can always prepare it in advance.
To store the Curried Chicken Salad, place it in an airtight container and put it in the fridge. The salad will be fresh for up to 3 days. I advise keeping the chopped nuts and fruits separate from the chicken salad mix until you’re ready to serve it. That way, they won’t get soggy.
When reheating, take out the portions you need and let them come to room temperature. You can reheat them in the microwave at medium power for 30 seconds to a minute, stirring occasionally.
You can always add extra dressing if the leftovers dry out a bit when storing. However, it’s essential to note that too much dressing or mayonnaise can make the salad watery over time.
So there you have it – all my tips on how to store and reheat this delicious curried chicken salad recipe! You’ll never have to worry about leftovers going to waste again.
Tips for Perfect Results
Now that you have all the ingredients ready for your delicious curried chicken salad, it’s time to move to the preparation process. Here are some tips that will help you prepare a perfect dish that your guests will love.
1. Use freshly cooked chicken
Using freshly cooked chicken is important for the flavor and texture of your curried chicken salad. You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken. If you’re cooking the chicken yourself, make sure it’s cooled before adding it to the salad.
2. Dice the ingredients uniformly
Uniform dicing ensures consistent distribution of ingredients throughout the salad. Cut fruits and vegetables such as grapes, apples, celery ribs, and nuts into bite-sized pieces for easy consumption.
3. Add mayonnaise and half-and-half cream gradually
Adding mayonnaise and half-and-half cream gradually ensures that you achieve the perfect consistency for your salad dressing without making it too soupy or too dry. You can always add more if necessary but you can’t take it back once it’s been poured in.
4. Adjust curry powder to personal taste
Curry powder elevates the flavor profile of your curried chicken salad, but you must adjust its amount based on your personal preference since it could become overpowering when overused. Remember to start with small amounts and add more as needed.
5. Season with lemon juice for a tangy taste
Add fresh squeezed lemon juice to give a tangy taste to the salad. Lemon juice also acts as a natural preservative keeping fruits like apples from turning brown.
6. Chill before serving
Chilling lets all the flavors mix together in harmony and gives it time to absorb dressing making for an even tastier dish.
By following these tips, your curried chicken salad is sure to be a hit and will leave your guests craving more at your next dinner party or event!
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a tasty and easy-to-make dish that’s perfect for any occasion, this curried chicken salad recipe is the way to go. With its blend of sweet and savory flavors, customizable ingredient list, and endless possibilities for serving and pairing, it’s a dish that’s sure to satisfy both you and your guests.
Whether you’re making this salad for a family gathering or hosting a party with friends, this recipe is an absolute crowd-pleaser. Its vibrant flavor profile is guaranteed to leave everyone feeling satisfied, and its versatility makes it a great alternative to traditional party foods.
So why wait? Add this curried chicken salad recipe – made with classic ingredients like curry powder, mayonnaise, apples, raisins, walnuts, and grapes – to your cooking repertoire today. We are confident that you will be impressed by how deliciously easy it is to bring something special to the table every time you make this salad.
Delicious Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 -4 celery ribs, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 2 cups red seedless grapes
- 1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup raisins (or use both) or 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or use both)
- 1 large apples, peeled and chopped (optional) or 1 orange, peeled and diced (optional)
CURRY MAYO DRESSING
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken and all remaining ingredients (except the dressing ingredients); mix well to combine.
- For the dressing, mix/whisk all dressing ingredients adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently add/mix in dressing with the chicken salad in the bowl; toss well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 or more hours before serving.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!