Are you ready for a recipe that will knock your socks off? Well, buckle up because I am about to share with you a recipe that is sure to become one of your favorites! This recipe has been a favorite of mine for years, and I am so excited to share it with you.
This recipe comes straight from the kitchen of former President Bill Clinton. Yes, you read that right! This is Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas Recipe, and it is absolutely delicious. President Clinton has always been known for his love of food, and this recipe is one of his all-time favorites.
But don’t worry if you’re not a fan of politics; this recipe speaks for itself. These chicken enchiladas are packed with flavor and can be easily adapted to fit your preferences. Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking to jazz up your weekly dinner routine, these enchiladas are sure to impress.
So, let’s dive in and discover how to make these mouthwatering chicken enchiladas that are one of Bill Clinton’s absolute favorites!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you looking for a recipe that is perfect for any party or gathering? Let me introduce you to Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas – a recipe that has become a favorite among many including the former President himself. And once you try it, it will become your favorite too!
These enchiladas are loaded with flavor and bursting with cheesy goodness. The combination of tender chicken, gooey cheddar cheese, and zesty green chilies make for a mouthwatering feast that’s sure to satisfy everyone’s taste buds. Add to that the robust flavor of oregano and garlic, and you’ve got an irresistible dish that will keep your guests coming back for more.
What’s more, this recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a handful of ingredients, you can whip up a batch of these delicious chicken enchiladas in no time at all. Whether you’re planning a backyard barbecue or hosting an intimate dinner party, Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas are sure to be a hit.
Aside from being incredibly delicious and easy to prepare, these enchiladas are also highly versatile. You can adjust the level of spice by adding or omitting green chilies as per your preference. You can also make substitutions such as using flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas or opting for low-fat sour cream and cheese for healthier servings.
So, whether you’re an enchilada fan or simply love trying out new recipes, I am confident Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas will soon become one of your favorite chicken enchilada recipes. Just give it a try and see why it’s one of the Clinton family favorites!
Before diving into the exciting part of cooking, you must ensure that you have all the ingredients in hand. Below is a comprehensive list of what you need to make Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound of cooked chicken, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 15 corn tortillas
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 (4 oz.) cans of green chilies
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all of the necessary ingredients for Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas, it is time to begin cooking. This recipe will certainly leave your guests asking for seconds, so be sure to make enough for everyone!
Prep the Tortillas
First, take 15 corn tortillas and dip them in oil until they become limp. Drain them well on paper towels.
Prepare the Filling
In a separate bowl, combine 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken, 2 cups of cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1 minced garlic clove, 2 teaspoons of oregano, and salt to taste.
Add Tomatoes and Chilies to Mixture
Next, add 1 can of 28-ounce tomatoes and 2 cans of 4-ounce green chilies to the mixture.
Fill and Roll the Tortillas
Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture and roll tightly. Place them in a baking dish.
Top with Remaining Cheese and Sauce
Cover the enchiladas with 1 can of 28-ounce tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of oregano, and additional cheese (if desired).
Bake Until Golden Brown
Bake at 350°F until golden brown or heated through.
Enjoy your delicious Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas!
Substitutions and Variations
Are you looking to make some modifications to the classic Bill Clinton’s chicken enchiladas recipe? Here are some substitutions and variations that you may want to try:
– Tortillas: While corn tortillas are the traditional choice for enchiladas, you can also use flour tortillas or even spinach tortillas for a healthier alternative. Just keep in mind that they may have a different texture and flavor.
– Cheese: If you’re not a fan of cheddar cheese, try substituting it with Monterey Jack cheese, queso fresco, or pepper jack cheese for a spicy kick.
– Sour cream: For a lighter version of the recipe, you can use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It has less fat and more protein but still provides a creamy texture.
– Chicken: You can use any cooked chicken for this recipe, such as grilled, roasted or poached. Additionally, swapping chicken for beef or pork can give your enchiladas an entirely different flavor.
– Sauce: If you want to add some extra kick to your enchiladas, try using a homemade or store-bought barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce. Another flavorful option is to drizzle some enchilada sauce over the top before baking.
– Sides: To complete your meal, try serving your enchiladas with beans and rice, guacamole, and salsa. Or why not change it up with some Lady Bird Johnson-style barbecue sauce or squirrel stew?
Overall, feel free to get creative with the ingredients and make this recipe your own. Remember that cooking is all about trying new things and finding what works for you. So give these substitutions and variations a go and see what delicious combinations you can come up with!
Serving and Pairing
Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas are a party favorite and perfect to serve for casual gatherings or cozy dinners. I love to serve these enchiladas with a fresh green salad, some guacamole, and crispy tortilla chips. The combination of the warm tortillas filled with the tender chicken and tangy tomato sauce complemented by cool sour cream and topped with melted cheddar cheese is sensational.
To create a complete meal, you could serve these enchiladas with some Mexican street corn or a side of deliciously seasoned beans. For those who want to take it up a notch, try pairing them with margaritas or tequila shots.
Serving them family-style on a large platter in the center of the table creates an inviting atmosphere that encourages everyone to dig in and enjoy the food together. These enchiladas will surely impress your guests and leave them asking for seconds (or even thirds).
Overall, Bill Clinton’s chicken enchiladas are adaptable to any occasion, from dinner parties to game nights at home – this dish can be used as a main course or an appetizer. It is comforting, satisfying, and perfect for sharing with friends and family while enjoying each other’s company.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Now, let’s talk about how to get the most mileage out of your delicious Clinton Chicken Enchiladas. First off, if you’re planning to make them ahead of time, you can assemble the enchiladas up to a day ahead and keep them in the refrigerator until ready to bake. However, it’s worth noting that the tortillas may become slightly soggy due to the moisture in the filling. To combat this, I recommend filling and rolling as close to baking time as possible.
If you find yourself with leftovers (unlikely as it may be), they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pop them into a preheated oven at 350°F until heated through. If you have any leftover sauce, warm it up on the stove or in the microwave and drizzle it over the top of your reheated enchiladas for added flavor.
However, if you’re like me and can’t get enough of these babies, you can also freeze them! Simply assemble as directed and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil before popping them into the freezer. They will keep for about 2-3 months this way. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, remove from the freezer and allow them to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking as directed.
Just remember to always fully cook your enchiladas before storing or freezing them, and never leave cooked food at room temperature for more than 2 hours. With proper storage and reheating, your Clinton Chicken Enchiladas will taste just as amazing as they did on day one!
Tips for Perfect Results
If you want to impress your guests with these delicious chicken enchiladas, you need to make sure they are executed perfectly. Below are some tips to help you avoid common mistakes and improve the quality of your dish:
1. Use corn tortillas: Although flour tortillas can be used for this recipe, we highly recommend using corn tortillas for a more authentic taste and texture.
2. Fry the tortillas briefly: Dipping the corn tortillas in hot oil for a few seconds before filling them helps prevent them from falling apart and becoming soggy during baking.
3. Shred your own cheese: Pre-shredded cheese contains anti-caking agents that can prevent it from melting well. To ensure a smooth and creamy cheese topping, shred your own cheddar cheese.
4. Use fresh ingredients: Using fresh ingredients like garlic, onions, and tomatoes enhances the flavor of the dish and makes for a more delicious meal.
5. Opt for homemade sauce: Homemade sauce is preferable to store-bought sauces as it’s less processed and more flavorful.
6. Cooked chicken should be shredded: The chicken should be cooked first, then shredded, as it will be easier to mix in with the other ingredients for an even taste.
7. Add seasonings gradually: Don’t just dump all your spices into the mixture; add them gradually and adjust to taste before adding in more.
8. Don’t overfill the enchiladas: Overfilling them will not only make them harder to roll but will also cause filling to overflow while baking.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to make perfect chicken enchiladas that President Bill Clinton himself would approve of. Enjoy!
Before we wrap things up, let’s address some of the frequently asked questions about Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas recipe. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced cook, this section has everything you need to know to make the perfect chicken enchiladas. So, without any further ado, let’s jump right into it.
How do you make chicken enchiladas that aren’t soggy?
When it comes to making enchiladas, the key to achieving the perfect texture is to give your tortillas a quick fry before filling them up. This process creates a protective layer that prevents the sauce from soaking too deeply into the tortilla, which can result in sogginess. By following this simple tip, you can keep your enchiladas intact and full of flavor.
Should enchiladas have corn or flour tortillas?
When making enchiladas, it’s common to use corn tortillas, although flour tortillas can be used too. For a standard 3-quart casserole dish, approximately eight flour or corn tortillas should do the trick. It’s best to choose tortillas that are either 7-8 inches in diameter for flour or 6 inches for corn, as they fit most pans perfectly. Keep in mind that recipes may vary.
What is an authentic enchilada made of?
The enchilada started as a popular street food in Mexico, consisting of a corn tortilla rolled up with fillings like meat, vegetables, or cheese, and dipped in a chili sauce.
Why are my chicken enchiladas soggy?
It is important to follow a trusted enchilada recipe which advises dipping the tortillas in the sauce before baking. This step enables the tortilla to become tender and enhances the overall flavor. If the remaining ingredients are poured on top without prepping the tortillas correctly, it can lead to an unsavory and soaked outcome.
So there you have it, my friends, the famous Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas recipe — a delightfully tangy and spicy dish that will leave you craving for more.
This recipe is very straightforward and easy to follow. Simply gather your ingredients together, prepare them as instructed, and enjoy the delicious results. You can also add your own personalized touch by using the substitutions and variations I’ve suggested, or by experimenting with other ingredients that you think would complement this dish.
Overall, I highly recommend trying out this recipe, especially if you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine or looking for something new to serve up at your next party or gathering. It’s not just a crowd favorite because it’s one of Bill Clinton’s favorite dishes, but because it’s truly scrumptious and satisfying.
So go ahead and give it a try! Once you take a bite of these chicken enchiladas, you’ll understand why they’re a staple in the Clinton household, and may even become one in yours too. Happy cooking!
Bill Clinton’s Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 15 corn tortillas
- Preheat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet.
- Remove seeds from chilies, if desired.
- Chop chilies, then sauté with minced garlic in oil.
- Drain and break up tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Add tomatoes,1 teaspoon salt, oregano and reserved tomato liquid.
- Simmer, uncovered until thick, about 30 minutes.
- Remove sauce from skillet and set aside.
- Combine chicken with sour cream, cheese and remaining salt.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil.
- Dip tortillas in oil until they become limp.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture.
- Roll up.
- Arrange side by side, seam side down, in 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Pour chili sauce over enchiladas.
- Bake at 250 degrees F until heated through about 20 minutes.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!