When it comes to cooking, I always believe that the simplest recipes can bring the biggest joys around the dinner table. And that’s exactly what you’ll find with this Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe.
As soon as the onions start to caramelize in the pan, filling your kitchen with their sweet aroma, you’ll know that something special is on the way. The fragrance of garam masala, pepper, and ground turmeric blends in as we cook bite-sized pieces of juicy chicken breast till they’re perfectly tender.
But what truly sets this recipe apart is the fried onion sauce. It adds a depth of flavor and crunchiness that will get everyone reaching for more, while still keeping things light and healthy. Plus, with all the spices sizzling away in the pan, this dish is packed with essential nutrients and natural antioxidants.
It’s hard to resist this Indian-inspired delicacy made from scratch at home. So, get your apron on and discover how simple ingredients can create restaurant-quality food in your own kitchen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Are you tired of whipping up the same old chicken recipe and looking for something new and exciting? Look no further than this delicious Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe, which is sure to give your taste buds the kick they need.
One of the best reasons why this recipe is a must-try is its incredible depth of flavors. The dish reeks with amazing spices such as garam masala, ground turmeric, cumin, and coriander which adds a unique aroma and taste to the chicken. Moreover, it has a nutty fried onion sauce that compliments the chicken pieces perfectly. When slowly cooked together, these ingredients create an explosion of flavors that will leave you wanting more!
This recipe also caters to various types of eaters, whether you are someone who loves to play around with different spices or someone who prefers milder flavors. You can adjust the level of spiciness by adding cayenne pepper based on your preference.
Additionally, this delicious dish is also healthy! Made with skinless chicken pieces and nonfat plain yogurt, you can enjoy your meal without worrying about consuming too many calories.
Finally, this recipe is versatile when it comes to serving and pairing options. You can opt to serve it with steamed rice or naan bread, topped with cilantro for an extra pop of freshness. Furthermore, you can pair this dish with a crisp green salad or a side of roasted vegetables depending on your preferences.
Overall, the Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe is an absolute crowd-pleaser that packs an explosion of flavor in every bite. This incredibly versatile and healthy dish that caters to everyone’s palate needs no more persuasion for its appeal – go ahead and try it today!
For the chicken marinade:
- 2 pounds skinless chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
For the onion sauce:
- 4 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 ripe, medium-sized tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Salt to taste
For the chicken frying:
- Canola or other neutral-tasting oil
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
For the yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Note: These ingredients are for Madhur Jaffrey’s Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe. If you are unsure about any of the ingredients, do not hesitate to experiment with substitutions.
The Recipe How-To
Let’s get cooking! Here’s how to make this delicious chicken in a fried onion sauce recipe.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- 6 skinless chicken pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- Canola oil for frying
- 4 medium onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped into large chunks
- 1 cup of water
- Fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- Nonfat plain yogurt (optional)
Note: If you don’t have all the spices listed above, you can replace them with garam masala instead. It will give a slightly different taste to the dish but still delicious overall.
Once you’ve gathered all the ingredients, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Marinate the Chicken
First, season your chicken pieces with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Massage the spices into the chicken and let it sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to let the flavor get absorbed.
Step 2: Fry Onions
Heat a generous amount of canola oil in a deep skillet over high heat. Add your thinly sliced onions and fry until they turn golden brown and caramelized. This process usually takes about 10 to 12 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare Garlic-Ginger Paste
Remove half of the fried onions from the skillet using a slotted spoon and leave them in a shallow bowl nearby. In the same skillet, add crushed garlic and grated ginger then stir fry for about one minute or until fragrant but not burnt.
Step 4: Cook Chicken
Now you can add your marinated chicken to the same skillet. Stir-fry for about three minutes over medium-high heat until it’s lightly browned.
Add chopped tomatoes to skillet along with one cup of water. Cover the skillet with a tight lid.
Allow everything to cook on low heat for about 25 -30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through entirely.
Step 5: Simmer Onion Sauce
When the chicken is fully cooked, you can now add back-in reserved fried onions from shallow bowl right into same skillet then stir well everything.
let Simmer the onion sauce and chicken over low heat for an additional five minutes or until thickened.
Serve hot sprinkled with cilantro leaves and accompanied by nonfat plain yogurt (optional). These additions will both lighten up and complement fantastic spicy onion cream sauce perfectly!
Substitutions and Variations
Cooking is an art, and sometimes we have to be more creative with what we have in our pantry. Fortunately, this recipe allows for a variety of substitutions and variations that can give you a different twist on the traditional chicken in fried onion sauce. Let’s take a look at some options.
– Meat Substitutions: While this recipe calls for skinless chicken pieces, you can use other types of poultry such as turkey or duck or swap it altogether with beef, pork, or lamb. This recipe’s onion-rich sauce pairs well with any meat option.
– Spice Substitutions: Garam Masala is the signature spice blend used in this recipe; it has a perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. You can adjust the heat level by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne pepper used.
– Vegetable Substitutions: If you want to boost your vegetable intake, you can add some root veggies such as carrots, parsnips, and potatoes to the skillet along with the onions. The extra veggies will thicken the sauce and make this dish heartier.
– Sauce Variations: Want to add some tanginess? Instead of yogurt sauce, try sour cream sauce as a dipping sauce for your chicken breast fried onion rings. You can also make a Korean-style sauce by combining oyster sauce with green onions for some extra umami flavor.
– Onion Variations: For blooming onion fans, replace chopped onions with onion rings! For caramelized onion lovers, try sauteing the onions low and slow until they’re browned and sweet before mixing them into the sauce.
Remember that cooking provides an opportunity to experiment with substitutions and variations that align with your taste. So don’t be afraid to get creative when using this recipe – it might bring some unique flavors you never expected!
Serving and Pairing
Now that you have prepared this delicious chicken in fried onion sauce, it’s time to serve it up! This dish goes perfectly with a side of rice, naan bread or even roasted potatoes. You can also add some green vegetables such as lettuce, green beans or broccoli for a healthy touch.
For those who love spice, sprinkle some fresh cilantro and cayenne pepper over the dish to give it an extra kick. If you prefer a milder flavor, try adding some nonfat plain yogurt on top to create a cooling effect.
In terms of drinks, we recommend pairing this dish with a cold beer or cider. If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic beverage option, try a glass of iced tea or lemonade.
For those who want to take it up a notch, this dish would be perfect paired with Korean fried onions or blooming onion rings as an appetizer. You can also try dipping the chicken into oyster sauce, sour cream sauce or any Asian-inspired dipping sauce for added flavor.
In conclusion, this chicken in fried onion sauce recipe is versatile and can be paired with many different sides and drinks. Experiment and see what works best for you and your guests!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you are planning on hosting a party, it is always best to prepare your dishes ahead of time to reduce the stress on the day. Luckily, this chicken in fried onion sauce recipe lends itself well to making ahead.
To make this dish ahead of time, prepare the chicken as the recipe instructs and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. You can also freeze the cooked chicken for up to three months. When you are ready to serve, simply reheat the chicken in a skillet over low heat with a few tablespoons of water until heated through.
As for storing cooked chicken with onion sauce, it will keep well in the refrigerator for up to three days if stored properly in an airtight container. When reheating, be sure to add some water or chicken broth to thin out the sauce as it may have thickened in the refrigerator.
For those looking for an even easier way, you can also try making the fried onions and sauce ahead of time and refrigerating them separately. When you’re ready to serve, heat up a skillet or wok with some oil and stir-fry your chicken until crispy before adding in the sauce and fried onions according to the recipe instructions.
If you’re serving this dish at a party, consider creating a DIY station where guests can assemble their own plates with chicken pieces and top them with onions and sauce. This lets everyone customize their plate while keeping food warm.
Remember that keeping food safe is key when reheating. Always make sure that your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F before devouring it again.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best possible outcome for the Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe, I have some helpful tips for you. Here are some pointers that you can follow to ensure your dish is finger-licking good.
The first and perhaps the most crucial tip would be to not overcook the chicken. Since it is skinless, it has a tendency to become dry if cooked for too long. Therefore, it’s important to keep an eye on the cooking time and make sure the chicken is cooked until just tender.
Another tip would be to use freshly ground spices rather than pre-packaged ones. This will impart a more robust flavor profile and make the dish taste much better. You can grind whole spices like cumin, coriander, and cinnamon in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle just before using them.
The onion sauce used in this recipe needs to be carefully prepared. It should have a thick consistency but still retain some texture from the fried onions. To achieve this, be sure to stir frequently while the onions are frying and to add water gradually when making the sauce.
Cilantro is one of the key ingredients of this recipe that elevates its taste profile. When adding cilantro as a garnish, opt for fresh chopped leaves as opposed to dried ones since they lend a brighter flavor to the finished dish.
Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce pairs particularly well with steaming hot rice or naan bread, so consider adding it to your meal for a complete experience.
Lastly, squeeze some fresh lemon juice over your serving of this succulent dish before digging in. The bright citrus flavor perfectly complements the warm spices used in this recipe.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll achieve perfect results every time with Murghi Rasedar Recipe by Madhur Jaffrey!
In conclusion, the Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce recipe is a delicious and versatile option for anyone looking to impress their guests or simply treat themselves to a flavorful meal. With its unique blend of spices and tender, juicy chicken, this dish is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied. Plus, with the variety of substitutions and variations available, you can customize the recipe to suit your personal preferences or dietary needs.
Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, producing stunning results every time. So why not try it out for yourself? Gather your ingredients, turn up the heat, and let the aromas fill your home as you cook up something truly special. Trust us – your taste buds (and your guests) will thank you for it!
Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce Recipe
- 2 1/2 lbs skinless chicken pieces (boneless dark meat, cleaned of most fat)
- 4 medium onions, peeled
- 1 1/2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 7 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 ground kashmiri pepper or 1/4-1/2 cayenne
- 4 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped (canned may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Cut the chicken into large pieces. If you must use chicken breasts, cut them into 4-6 pieces. Just keep in mind that by using breasts, you're reducing both the fat content (yay!) AND the flavor (boo) and the result will be slightly drier chicken.
- Chop half of the onions coarsely. Cut the remaining onions into halves, lengthwise, and then crosswise into very thin slices.
- Put the chopped onions, ginger and garlic into the container of an electric blender. Blend to a paste.
- Put the oil in a large, wide sauté pan or a large, deep frying pan (nonstick) and set over medium heat. When hot, put in the sliced, onions. Stir and fry the onions until they are a deep, reddish brown color. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon, squeezing out and leaving behind as much of the oil as possible. Put on a plate and set aside.
- Take the pan off the heat. Put in the paste (keep face averted). Put the pan back onto the heat. Stir and fry the paste until it is brown, about 3-4 minutes. Now put in the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne and stir once. Put in 1 Tbsp of the yogurt. Stir for about 30 seconds or until it is incorporated in the sauce. Add all the yogurt this way. Add the chicken pieces and stir them around for a minute.
- Pour in the water, add the tomatoes and salt. Stir to mix and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes. Sprinkle in the garam masala and the fried onions. Mix. Cook, uncovered, on medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Skim off the fat and put the chicken in a warm serving dish. Sprinkle the cilantro or parsley over the top. Nom!
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!