Are you ready to experience a taste of Italy right in the comfort of your own home? Look no further because I have Mama Iuliucci’s famous Meat-A-Balls recipe that will transport your taste buds across the Atlantic to the heart of Italy.
When it comes to Italian meatballs, there are a lot of variations out there. However, Mama Iuliucci’s recipe stands out from the rest. It is an authentic Italian recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation, and now we are lucky enough to share it with you.
These meatballs are packed with flavor and are moist, tender and juicy. They are perfect on their own as an appetizer or can be paired with pasta and marinara sauce for a filling and tasty dinner. Trust me when I say that once you try Mama Iuliucci’s famous Meat-A-Balls, you’ll never want to go back to any other meatball recipe. So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Imagine sinking your teeth into a warm, juicy meatball, bursting with flavor at every bite. Now imagine that same meatball being made with love, care, and an ancient recipe passed down through generations of an Italian family. That’s exactly what Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls provides, from the comfort of your own home.
First and foremost, these Italian meatballs are undeniably delicious. Made with 2lbs of lean ground beef, 8-10 slices of white bread broken into small 1-2 inch pieces (or use rolls), 2 eggs slightly beaten, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp salt, 1/4 cup parsley flakes, and a dash of garlic powder. Mama Iuliucci’s recipe packs a flavorful punch.
Not only do these meatballs taste amazing on their own or as part of a main dish like spaghetti or as a meatball sub sandwich with a side of homemade marinara sauce for dipping. But they also work perfectly as party appetizers that will have guests begging you for the recipe.
The ingredients in this recipe and the way it is prepared resonate with authenticity and tradition. The recipe reflects centuries of Italian culinary heritage passed down from mother to daughter in the Iuliucci family.
It is truly outstanding how simple ingredients can lead to such incredible flavor profiles when put together right. The meatballs pair well with pasta and sauces or even just some fresh crusty bread and olive oil so you can savor each flavor-packed bite.
Try making Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls at home and you’ll quickly see why this authentic Italian recipe has become so beloved.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls:
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8-10 slices of white bread, broken into small 1-2 inch pieces (you can use rolls instead)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or 3 cloves of garlic, minced)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
These ingredients will help you create authentic Italian meatballs that are absolutely scrumptious.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all of our ingredients ready, it’s time to start making Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls. This meatball recipe is quick and simple – perfect for those who are new to cooking or just want a quick meal to enjoy. Let’s get started.
Step 1: Prepare the Bread
- Take 8-10 slices of white bread and break them into small 1-2 inch pieces.
- If you don’t have white bread, you can use rolls or another type of bread.
- Place the broken pieces in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add the Ingredients
- To the bowl with the broken bread, add 2 lbs of lean ground beef.
- Then, add 2 beaten eggs, 1 tbsp of garlic powder, 1 tbsp of parsley flakes, ½ cup of Parmesan cheese, ½ tsp of black pepper and 1 tsp of salt.
Mix all ingredients together until the bread is completely incorporated with the rest of the mixture.
Step 3: Form Meatballs
- Begin rolling small portions of the mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Place formed meatballs on a plate until all meat has been used.
Recipe makes about 24 meatballs.
Step 4: Cook Meatballs
There are four ways to cook Italian meatballs:
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Drop raw meatballs into boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain cooked meatballs and serve with your favorite sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Arrange meatballs in a single layer on a baking tray that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat up 1 inch (2.5cm) olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, begin adding the meatballs to the pan in batches.
- Cook each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Note: This method will require an extra effort for preparation but it makes perfect moist and tender meatballs effortlessly!
- Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls
- Tomato sauce or marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C).
- Arrange uncooked meatballs uniformly in a greased baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for around 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up tomato sauce or marinara sauce in a medium-sized pot over low heat until heated through.
- Remove foil from baking dish and cover meatballs with warm tomato sauce or marinara sauce.
- Continue baking without aluminum foil wrapping for another 30 minutes, or until completely cooked.
Once your Italian meat
Substitutions and Variations
Are you in the mood to switch it up a bit? No worries, Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls recipe is adaptable to various substitutions and variations.
For starters, why not try using turkey or pork instead of lean ground beef? This will give the recipe a different flavor profile and reduce the total fat intake. Alternatively, switch out breadcrumbs for panko or crushed crackers. It will add a little bit of crunch to every bite.
If you’re looking for something cheesy, consider replacing parmesan cheese with another cheese of your choice. Mozzarella cheese adds a delightful stringy texture inside and pairs well with marinara sauce. Or, adding cream cheese could enhance the creaminess and richness of your meatballs.
Want to pack more protein into these meat-a-balls? Then add in some extra eggs! Along with being good for you, the eggs also help bind everything together nicely while keeping them moist and tender.
Finally, if you’re craving a spicy twist, try adding some red pepper flakes or hot sauce to the mix. It could bring an added kick to the taste buds that’ll leave your guests craving for more.
Whether you choose to keep it classic or try something new, these Italian Meatballs promise to be delicious and satisfying all the same.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving Mama Iuliucci’s famous Italian meatballs, there are so many possibilities that you’ll be spoilt for choice. You can serve them as the main course with some spaghetti or in a meatball sub for an easy and tasty lunch. They also go perfectly well with marinara sauce for dipping, making them a great appetizer dish for your party guests.
One option is to serve your meatballs on top of a bed of pasta, with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley sprinkled over it. The tomato-based sauce complements the hearty flavor of the meatballs perfectly.
Meatball subs are another popular way of serving these Italian-style beauties – simply toast some bread, add some cooked and sauced meatballs, and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top before heating the sandwich until the cheese has melted – it’s guaranteed to please!
Vegetarians or those looking for a healthier option can make use of meatless meatballs and pair them with roasted vegetables or salad to lighten up their meal. If you’re hosting a party, you can also offer these vegetarian options as a smart choice.
Ultimately, Mama Iuliucci’s famous Italian meatballs make an excellent addition to any traditional Italian-style dinner or big Sunday feast with the whole family. Just have fun and let your imagination run wild with any pairing you choose!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
If you’re throwing a party or planning on serving guests, make-ahead dishes can save yourself some time and hassle in the kitchen. Luckily, Mama Iuliucci’s famous meat-a-balls are perfect for this. You can prepare them ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before cooking. Simply cover the dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
When it comes to storing already-cooked meatballs, be aware that they can last only up to three days in the refrigerator. If you want to keep leftovers for longer, consider freezing them for up to three months.
To reheat, take them out of the fridge or freezer and let them reach room temperature. Once defrosted, warm them up on low heat in a saucepan with tomato sauce for extra flavor.
Mama Iuliucci’s famous meat-a-balls are perfect for sandwiches, subs or served alone as a snack. They are great to prepare ahead of time and make busy meal times more manageable.
Tips for Perfect Results
Are you tired of meatballs that are dry or fall apart? I am here to help! These tips will turn your Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls into perfectly juicy and tender delights.
Firstly, be gentle when mixing the ingredients. Overmixing can result in tough meatballs. Mix your bread crumb mixture and your egg mixture separately and then combine them with the ground beef.
Secondly, to create uniform meatballs, use a cookie scoop or an ice cream scoop. Not only will this save time, but it will also ensure even cooking throughout each meatball.
Next, do not overpack your meatballs. When forming the mixture into balls, do not overwork it or compress them too much. It can cause the meatballs to be dense and hard.
Furthermore, bake the meatballs on a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. This allows the excess fat to drip down, giving you delicious crispy edges whilst keeping the inside tender and moist.
Lastly, let your meatballs rest for a few minutes before serving. As hard as it may be to resist their tasty aroma, allowing them to rest will help preserve their shape and maintain a juicy texture.
Follow these tips and you’ll be sure to create amazing Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls every time. Happy eating!
In conclusion, Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls (Italian Meatballs) recipe is a must-try for all meatball lovers out there. This recipe is not just about making any meatballs, it is about creating authentic Italian meatballs that will leave you wanting more. The combination of ingredients gives the meatballs the perfect blend of flavor and texture.
By using high-quality ingredients such as lean ground beef, parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley flakes, you can create a delicious and healthy dish that everyone will love. What’s great about this recipe is that you can easily adjust the quantity of spices or other ingredients to suit your taste.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or want to prepare a hearty meal for your family, Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls (Italian Meatballs) recipe is perfect for any occasion. You can serve these meatballs on their own as an appetizer or with pasta and marinara sauce as a main course. You can even make meatball subs using these homemade meatballs.
So what are you waiting for? Start cooking up some mouth-watering meatballs in your kitchen today with this authentic Italian meatball recipe by Mama Iuliucci. Your guests and loved ones will be amazed by the aroma and taste. Trust me; they won’t be able to resist this classic Italian dish!
Mama Iuliucci’s Famous Meat-A-Balls (Italian Meatballs) Recipe
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 -10 slices white bread, broken into small 1/2 inch pieces (or you can use rolls or any stale bread you have and want to use up)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes (or to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or Locatelli)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil (for frying) or vegetable oil (for frying)
- Mix all ingredients gently in a large bowl until well combined.
- Roll meatballs 1 1/2- 1 3/4" in diameter.
- Heat about 1/4" of oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Fry meatballs in oil, rolling frequently, until evenly browned and juices run clear.
- Drop meatballs in your favorite sauce (I highly recommend My Mama Iuliucci’s"Don’t Skip a Step" Spaghetti Sauce recipe#26947) and let simmer for awhile to flavor sauce or just serve with your favorite pasta and sauce.
- Tip: You can also bake or broil these if the frying part is too much of a hassle– I use my broiler pan if I bake them, so the fat drips down and away from the meatballs.
Your Own Notes
Recommended Recipes Just For You
Anna is a culinary expert who specializes in grilling delicious BBQ dishes. She also enjoys sharing her recipes and experiences with her foodie community on her blog. She’s the total package for any backyard barbecue!