Gourmet magazine’s site Gourmet.com is one of my favorite drool-worthy recipe sites of all time.
The dishes on this site include some of the most fabulous flavor combinations that you just won’t find anywhere else.
And even though the site is titled “gourmet.com,” many of the recipes aren’t as intimidating as they may seem, trust me
Take this Quinoa with Corn, Scallions and Mint dish for example, which took a mere 30 minutes to make yet tasted fantastic.
I mean, really. How much more summer can you get?
Perhaps eating this poolside while getting your tan on instead of leftovers in your office cubicle , maybe that’s A BIT more “summer”…
But such is life. No job = no money for delicious quinoa salad. Am I right or am I right?
Here was my take on this gourmet.com treasure of a recipe, which included a fast-cook method for the quinoa versus the fancy steaming method described in their instructions.
Hey, I didn’t say I was thatttttt “gourmet” Lol.
I also substituted frozen sweet corn for fresh, because I just did was lazy. But fresh corn would probably take this dish to a whole ‘notha level.
Quinoa with Corn, Scallions and Mint
Cook time: 20 minutes. Total time: 30 minutes.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups frozen sweet corn, defrosted for about 15 minutes
- 2 tblsp butter, melted
- 1.5 tblsp honey
- 3 heaping tblsp chopped mint
- 1 heaping tblsp chopped green onion
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of half a lemon
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
A quinoa first in the Fanatic kitchen, believe it.
Upon first glance, quinoa may appear to be similar to grains such as rice or pasta, but it’s actually a seed! It also differs from your usual grain suspect in that it’s high in protein, and the protein it supplies is a complete protein. This makes it a great choice for anyone concerned about their protein intake. Quinoa also boasts a number of other health benefits which you can read about here!
I’ve been so curious to try this stuff in my own kitchen and I knew this recipe would be absolutely perfect for that
I also have an excessive amount of mint currently growing in my backyard thanks to one of the awesome farmers at the farmer’s market who planted it and gifted it to me!
It’s just absolutely flourishing and smells delicious Thank you Gene!
I figured this recipe would also be a great chance to enjoy some of this deliciousness too.
How to prepare:
1) Rinse the quinoa first. Then using a ratio of 1:1.75 quinoa to liquid (I used water), bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover and turn down to a simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed & quinoa is fluffy. Also remove your corn from the freezer to defrost at this time.
2) Chop the herbs while the quinoa is cooking. Also prepare the dressing by combining the melted butter (I used the microwave for this) and honey.
3) Once the quinoa is done, combine it with the partially defrosted corn. Cover and set heat to low for 5 minutes just so the corn can heat through all the way.
4) Finally stir in your butter/honey mixture, fresh herbs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Also season with salt and pepper. Serve <— warm, cold or room temperature!
The final result:
First of all, let me start by saying that butter & honey make the most amazing dressing on this salad. Butter is king. That is all
Secondly, quinoa has the most fun texture and pairs perfectly with the pop of the corn kernels!
Third, fresh mint has the most refreshing flavor. It’s seriously one of my favorite fresh herbs to use ever. And I just adored how it went with the sweet honey butter dressing on this salad.
Fourth… well, this was just flat-out freakin’ delicious!!!!
This one’s a keeper
If you’re looking for a new & different take on a summer salad this one comes with high recommendations from yours truly! It’d be perfect for a cookout side dish too, since it seemed to taste its best when served room temperature in my opinion
Tell me, have you ever cooked with quinoa?