And just when you thought you’d seen just about every use for the one and only Greek yogurt of choice…
In walks this lil’ dish. A noodle-free lasagna of sorts all “beefed” up with healthy veggies and a tangy Italian tomato base.
Greek yogurt replaces a more traditional ricotta and when combined with shredded cheese & broccoli, an inventive layer for this “lasagna” is formed.
Pinterest is such a wonderful thing now isn’t it?!?! (Source of pinspiration)
My take on this Pinspired dish included frozen chopped broccoli instead of fresh, a blend of my own spices in lieu of “Italian seasoning” and a local ground turkey which included some dark meat as well, really giving it some deep flavor.
Oh yea, and a swap of the goat cheese for shredded monterey jack, because here’s the honest truth —> I loathe goat cheese. There, I said it.
As in hate it. As in can’t even swallow it. And believe me, I’ve tried to like it. I’ve triiiiieeeeeddddd!!! Like 36 times probably. Including the time it was offered to me by the owners of this lovely winery & I started literally sweating at the thought of (1) having to eat it and (2) having to pretend to enjoy it (this is my life people). Everyone always looks so happy eating it, why can’t I?!
You know I shun no foods, I ate sweetbreads & tripe on my birthday for goodness sake!! *sigh* but I digress…
If goat cheese is your thang then go for it… and send me some of your taste buds while you’re at it, clearly mine are confused?! 😉
A lil’ layering…
Sliced zucchini aka “noodles” — tomato turkey mixture — yogurt & cheese.
A few minutes in the oven…
And there you have it! A noodle-free, guit-free way to enjoy one of your favorite comfort foods with lots of veggie power
The flavor on the turkey mixture in this dish was fantastic. And I really enjoyed the way the yogurt mixture melted and played into that as well.
My only notes on this would be that there was a bit of excess liquid due to the frozen broccoli I believe, however a quick few spoonfuls to remove that before serving and that was all but ancient history.
Overall I’d definitely make this again. Fairly easy, super healthy and tasted delicious. Sold! 😛
Do share, do you like goat cheese??? Or am I the only weirdo out here… (wait, maybe don’t answer that 😉 )
Zucchini Turkey Tomato “Lasagna” featuring Chobani
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 3 tblsp tomato paste
- 1 tblsp dried oregano
- 1 tblso dried basil
- 2 cups plain nonfat Chobani
- 2 cups chopped frozen broccoli
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 large zucchini, sliced into 1/2″ pieces
1. Saute onion in 1 tblsp olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ground turkey (season with s&p) and cook until done, about 10 minutes, stirring to break up the meat. Stir in garlic during last minute of cooking.
2. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and basil to pan. Stir to combine and allow to cook on low while you prep the other ingredients.
3. Slice zucchini into medium-thick pieces, about half an inch. In a large bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, frozen broccoli and egg until combined. Season w/ salt and pepper.
4. Assemble the “lasagna” – begin by spraying a larger sized baking dish with cooking spray then add a layer of zucchini to cover. Top with half of the turkey mixture followed by half of the yogurt & cheese mixture, gently spreading to cover.
5. Repeat this step.
6. Bake at 375 F, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes until the zucchini is soft & tender and the cheese mixture has browned a bit on top. Drain any excess water that may have released from the frozen broccoli using a large spoon.