Feels good to be back…
New kitchen. New recipes.
Like this Cheesy Spinach n’ Egg Strata, inspired by this recipe spotted on Pinterest.
In reviewing blog posts from years past I realized that I used to make egg stratas all.the.freaking.time…. “Strata Take 1000” anyone? haha
Not sure when I stopped all that but glad to be back in the game!
This one turned out tasting buttery, cheesy and delicious. And snuck in some great veggie power with the spinach 😉
Plus a great way to use up leftover bread too! Which, ps, I throw into the freezer until ready to use for dishes like this.
See recipe below.
Being back in the kitchen also means sometimes a home cooked meal … but not technically a “recipe.”
Like these crab and salmon roll ups from The Fresh Market.
Surf n’ Turf anyone?
Which might be one of my new favorite pre-made options ever.
BAsically a crab cake stuffed into a thin layer of fresh salmon. Yea.
30 minutes in the oven and voila, dunzo! Effortless but so fancygurl! 😛
Served with a favorite way of mine to enjoy fall kale. Paired with sweet apples & tangy onions…
I got this idea from a farmer at the market years ago and have never looked back. Make it all.the.time. just love the play on sweet and savory with hearty kale 🙂
See recipe here.
I need to make those crockpot spicy chipotle meatballs again on a side note!
And what completes an at-home meal (or any meal at that) other than my favorite cupcakes ever.
The ‘nana cream. Just do it RVA friends. You’re welcome.
Of course there’s been a lil’ eating out too 😉
Because, well, gotta let that kitchen rest sometime or other right?!
Bellytimber Jalapeno Poppers w/ mango sour cream.
So.so.spicy. Spiciest poppers I’ve had. And I loved every.single.bite.!
Bellytimber Kale Salad w/ red onion, toasted almond, avocado & apple cider lemon vinaigrette and blackened shrimp.
Which I WILL be recreating at home.
Kale salad, perhaps my new food best friend lol?!
And speaking of …
Best friendzzzz? lol
I mean. Just really. Look at this dog’s right paw. I can’t even! *so cute*
So, what have you been cooking lately?!?!
Cheesy Spinach n’ Egg Strata
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 package frozen spinach, defrosted & drained
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 5 oz. shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 small loaf day old (or frozen, defrosted) Italian bread
- salt, pepper
1. Add 1 tblsp butter to pan over medium, saute chopped onion until slightly translucent (5 minutes). Add drained spinach, nutmeg, sprinkle of salt & pepper. Stir and cook another 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool before adding to egg mixture.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together milk and eggs. Season with a bit of salt and pepper too.
3. Shred cheese and cube bread.
4. To assemble: rub medium baking dish with a bit of butter (or cooking spray). Layer in bread cubes followed by spinach mixture. Top with shredded cheese then pour egg mixture on top, shaking so that it spreads evenly. If more liquid is necessary (should almost cover bread cubes) then add a bit more milk.
5. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, or until egg sets and edges brown a bit (flavor!)
Cool for a few minutes then serve.