A slightly creamy & luscious take on a classic chicken soft taco…
Did someone say cream cheese?!?! 😛
Not to mention a great way to really stretch that meal budget
if you find yourself eating & drinking out way too often otherwise (what?) 😉 and also sneak in some veggie goodness for those that, well, don’t appreciate vegetables quite so much!
Total meal cost w/ antibiotic/hormone free chicken + tortillas = about $10
So yea. Lately I’ve had a mild obsession with this Ro*tel stuff…
Tomatoes PLUS green chilis. I mean seriously people.
Couple that with my love for spicy & Mexican and I think you know where this is goin’ from here!!
This recipe couldn’t be easier. And only needs 5 ingredients plus a few spices & tortillas /hot sauce for serving.
A lazy meal for a lazy Sunday. Ya know how I roll 😉
I used my Nanny’s age old electric cooker, which is kinda like a hybrid between the stovetop and a crockpot. It may be 25+ years old but I swear by tender chicken every.single.time. with this bad boy!
Watch how simply this comes together.
1. Ro*tel diced tomatoes with green chilis (drained).
2. Black beans, drained & rinsed.
3. Chicken breast. Cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper.
Close the lid and let cook 20-30 minutes until done.
4. Using two forks, shred chicken into whatever size pieces you prefer.
5. Throw in frozen corn & let warm through.
6. Finally stir in cream cheese until creamy & incorporated.
Just pile into some warmed corn tortillas or even serve dip-style with some hearty tortilla chips if you’d like.
And don’t forget the hot sauce for an extra kick, I mean, if you like that sorta thing 😛
And since I realize that not all of you have Nanny’s 1970’s kinda-slow-cooker-thing at home, this can totally be done stove top or even in your conventional crock pot with no problem at all 🙂
Easy peasy & totally yum!
Oh yea… and then I bought this?
Think I’ve been goin’ to Tio Pablo just a bit too much… no? 😉
Creamy Chicken Soft Tacos w/ Black Beans & Corn To serve: corn tortillas, tortilla chips, hot sauce Stovetop: Serve! Slow cooker: Serve!
1. In medium sized pot layer in Ro*tel (drain out about half of liquid), black beans and chicken. Season with cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Cover and allow to cook over medium heat until chicken is done, around 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove chicken from pot and shred using two forks. Return to pot along with frozen corn. Heat long enough for corn to warm through, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in cream cheese and let warm through so that it can be easily stirred into the chicken mixture until creamy and incorporated thoroughly.
1. Follow same step 1 as above. Cover and let cook on low 4-6 hours or until chicken is done.
2. Remove chicken and shred using 2 fork method. Return to slow cooker along with frozen corn and cream cheese.
3. Cook another 30 minutes on low until mixture is warm and able to be stirred to incorporate.
Creamy Chicken Soft Tacos w/ Black Beans & Corn
To serve: corn tortillas, tortilla chips, hot sauce