Hey everyone! Hope you’ve been enjoying your Sunday as much as we have around here 🙂
I woke up a lil’ late this morning (felt great to sleep in!) but that didn’t stop me from getting a delicious slow cooker dinner into the crockpot and ready to go before lunch…
The Man found it amusing that I had finished dinner before he had even woken up (and yes, he woke up at noon, I kid you not?!?!)
I have been seriously craving some hearty beef & vegetable stew these past few days, even though it’s in the 80’s out and feels nothing like October 😛
But whatevs, I’ll crockpot it up on a sunny warm day like no one’s business – watch me! 😉
Crock Pot Beef Stew
(Loosely based off this recipe)
A trip to the farmer’s market this weekend in search of “stew meat” ended up with this:
The local grass-fed beef stand was out of stew meat (they had just had a 30lb order?!) but the beef guy assured me that this would be a good stand-in, all I had to do was chop it myself.
Hey, no problemo 😉
And since he was not pleased with the way this london broil had been cut, he gave me a great deal on this purchase – score!
I rounded up some of the ingredients and got rollin’
Into the crockpot went the potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms.
Followed by the meat, which I chopped into 1″ pieces, seasoned with sea salt/pepper, coated with flour and browned for a few minutes before adding it into the crock.
After that in went the crushed tomatoes (no boxed version at the store today – bummer!), beef stock, red wine, thyme and more salt & pepper.
A quick 8 hours later (on low setting) and look what you get! 😛
The final touch, some frozen peas which I had defrosted a bit so they weren’t so cold going into the piping hot crockpot.
This time you only have to wait about 15-20 minutes with the crockpot on high before it’s dinner time 🙂
Of course this meal wouldn’t be complete without a warm baguette for dipping too!
Fresh outta the oven… dipped in the lovely hot stew, this meal tasted just like Christmas to me for some reason?!
It was definitely worth the wait!
So here’s the “official” recipe:
- 5 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 package small button mushrooms, whole
- 1 lb. london broil, chopped into 1″ pieces (or stew meat)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup organic beef broth (wish I had some homemade!)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup frozen peas
- sea salt
- black pepper
- dried thyme (about 2 tsp)
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 spoonfuls flour
1) Chop the meat into 1″ pieces, season with salt and pepper and then coat with flour. Add to a hot pan with 1 tblsp vegetable oil and brown.
2) Chop the veggies and layer into the crock pot. First the potatoes, then the carrots, followed by the onions and finally the mushrooms.
3) Once the meat is done browning, add that to the crockpot as well.
4) In goes the red wine, beef broth and spices. Close the lid and set on low for 8 hours.
5) Once you’ve stared at the timer count down for 8 hours the time is up, add in the green peas and set to high, letting go for another 15 minutes or so (until the peas are warmed through/cooked).
6) Serve with fresh bread if so desired!
And who says that you can’t enjoy a comforting slow cooked meal on even the warmest of fall days? 😉
See you friends back for Monday, I have a make-ahead dinner recipe that I think you’ll like!!!